• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Mint Discs

Halcón

Free At Last
Looks like there is a new disc company out of Austin, Texas called Mint Discs. From what some here have noted, MVP is molding for them. (Not sure if this has been corroborated yet)

Here's the link to their site: https://mintdiscs.com/

And FB: https://www.facebook.com/mintdiscs/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

One of the cool features that sticks out (besides the sweet looking plastic) is that each run is stamped onto the disc so you know exactly what to look for, and there'll be no guesswork in the future. This sort of attention to detail definitely appeals to the disc nerds in all of us, but I think would be interesting even to the casual thrower.

17952714_1871206673095923_29607733139837909_n.jpg

17904090_1868400526709871_5140838770329704342_n.jpg

This is a sweet LE stamp (which in this plastic may not feature the serial numbers):

Sublime-Gold450_1024x1024.jpg

Here is what Mint Discs has to say this offering:

Mint Discs is proud to release the Alpha as our first disc. This disc fills the essential go-to fairway slot in every golfers bag. Designed to be a true Power Fairway with straight flight and reliable fade, the Alpha will respond to the line and power you give it. Capable of fighting headwinds or carving up the woods, the Alpha is a uniquely stable disc we absolutely love and hope you do too.

Flight Ratings: Speed 8 / Glide 4 / Turn 0 / Fade 2

Looks like a solid first mold. I might end up checking Mint out, and wish them the best going forward. And if it is a partnership with MVP, then it's great that their branching out into molding for other companies. Win-win all around. :thmbup:

But do they smell minty?

If that disc were a 7 speed it would be an FD2 -- solid first disc choice.

For those that remember me...

I started up MINT with a couple friends in Austin. The Serial # was something I thought was really important and unique.

What became MINT was something I had always wanted to do at Disc Nation and it became a pretty big priority of mine when I left after the change in ownership. I'll check in on this thread and answer any questions I can. Really happy to get this off the ground after 2 years of planning.

ZJ

I've a question: the description on the website says it's speed 8, while the rim width suggests it would be speed 10 (as I understand it), so does it carry shorter than most other discs with the same rim width?

I've a question: the description on the website says it's speed 8, while the rim width suggests it would be speed 10 (as I understand it), so does it carry shorter than most other discs with the same rim width?

It is most definitely a fairway driver in the shape of many of the classics. We honestly argued if it should be a 9, because of how fast it comes out of the hand. Pretty much can handle any distance that a speed 7-9 would. We are also going to be updating the glide to 5, that was the intended rating and I didn't update the website before launch :/

It is very responsive to the line you put it on. That is definitely the key thing to understand when throwing it-- It will hold the angle and speed you put it on. So for some people that throw flat or with slight anny you will see it hold that forward really well before the fade kicks in. Holds forehands really well too, nice and straight.

I went out to Disc Nation today and got to throw an Apex Alpha side by side with an Icon Rival (the disc that currently fills that slot in my bag).

First impression was that the Apex had a really prominent dome on it, much more than the Eternal Alphas I held. Not into that so much, but I did like both plastics, good flex to both and grip was nice.

Flight was very close to the Rival for me. I was throwing into a stiff headwind and subsequently a big tailwind. Both discs had above average speed for a fairway driver, and the glide was average. I'd like to throw the Alpha in more neutral conditions to see how it powers down. Between these two specific discs, for me it would come down to feel. The Alpha was more comfortable due to smoother contours, but the Rival has increased depth which makes grip in my better.

I went out to Disc Nation today and got to throw an Apex Alpha side by side with an Icon Rival (the disc that currently fills that slot in my bag).

First impression was that the Apex had a really prominent dome on it, much more than the Eternal Alphas I held. Not into that so much, but I did like both plastics, good flex to both and grip was nice.

Flight was very close to the Rival for me. I was throwing into a stiff headwind and subsequently a big tailwind. Both discs had above average speed for a fairway driver, and the glide was average. I'd like to throw the Alpha in more neutral conditions to see how it powers down. Between these two specific discs, for me it would come down to feel. The Alpha was more comfortable due to smoother contours, but the Rival has increased depth which makes grip in my better.

Was it a Red Apex? That one hast he most dome of any Alpha. Sean(the owner) has been loving his because of the added glide from the dome.

And yeah...the wind is pretty crazy today. I made the mistake of going to Steeplechase in this wind haha.

We are having a launch party at Disc Nation on May 6th. Come test the other colors. Free beer and tacos too :)

Good to see you around again, ZJ. I had a feeling you were involved with this because of the serial numbers. I know that is something you and Zam hold dear to your hearts from the Millennium days.

So can you confirm or deny if MVP is molding these for you?

Good to see you around again, ZJ. I had a feeling you were involved with this because of the serial numbers. I know that is something you and Zam hold dear to your hearts from the Millennium days.

So can you confirm or deny if MVP is molding these for you?

Yeah the Serial # was something I knew we had to do. It means so much to disc golfers and I just never understood why other companies didn't embrace it especially from a marketing perspective.

We had a couple different variations and could of had it even longer but just decided to stick with something simple to identify run/year.

The other question on everyone's mind...Industry secret :popcorn:

Was it a Red Apex? That one hast he most dome of any Alpha. Sean(the owner) has been loving his because of the added glide from the dome.

And yeah...the wind is pretty crazy today. I made the mistake of going to Steeplechase in this wind haha.

We are having a launch party at Disc Nation on May 6th. Come test the other colors. Free beer and tacos too :)

Yep it was a red one. The white and blues had pretty big domes as well though, found a couple blues that weren't pop top. I dig the stamp on the Apex, for sure.

Yeah the Serial # was something I knew we had to do. It means so much to disc golfers and I just never understood why other companies didn't embrace it especially from a marketing perspective.

We had a couple different variations and could of had it even longer but just decided to stick with something simple to identify run/year.

The other question on everyone's mind...Industry secret :popcorn:

Ha, ok. We'll let that go for now. Either way the plastic looks great.

And I think it was a good move keeping the serials simple. :thmbup:

Have fun on May 6th. If I was near Austin I'd check it out for sure.

Yep it was a red one. The white and blues had pretty big domes as well though, found a couple blues that weren't pop top. I dig the stamp on the Apex, for sure.

Thanks! We really liked the diamond design. It was something we had never considered until our artist came up with it. We were going to use something more like what you see on Eternal.

I think it helps it stand out aesthetically and a diamond itself is an object of high value so we felt it went along with MINT and what we want to portray. We probably spent more time on getting the stamps and plastic names just the way we wanted than anything.

Thanks! We really liked the diamond design. It was something we had never considered until our artist came up with it. We were going to use something more like what you see on Eternal.

I think it helps it stand out aesthetically and a diamond itself is an object of high value so we felt it went along with MINT and what we want to portray. We probably spent more time on getting the stamps and plastic names just the way we wanted than anything.

One reason I like it is because I hate when my thumb hits the hot stamp. Putters it matters more than drivers, but having that open space on the sides make it look clean and feel clean as well.

So is there a story behind the name MINT?

We wanted it to be a brand that had value and weight to it from the start. We racked our brains for a year before we settled on MINT which I think one of my partners came up with when he looked a stick of gum. It worked out even better than the Serial # fits that theme like you would see on a dollar bill. We seriously started this company without a name or any theme. Slowly got to what you see now.

I picked up a few discs on Friday, and was able to go out and throw them on Saturday. The wind in north Austin was screwy, and not ideal testing conditions, but I made a video showcasing the discs anyways. I will make a few more, and put some disc tracking to them so that the whole flight is demonstrated via the video like I have done with some of the other discs I have played around with/reviewed. Even though I am a "Vibram Guy" I hope they do well. I know one of the original guys, and they are made in Texas, both win-win for me.

Here is a link to the video: https://youtu.be/RuPrusNVkqw (currently uploading)

https://youtu.be/RuPrusNVkqw

I picked up a few discs on Friday, and was able to go out and throw them on Saturday. The wind in north Austin was screwy, and not ideal testing conditions, but I made a video showcasing the discs anyways. I will make a few more, and put some disc tracking to them so that the whole flight is demonstrated via the video like I have done with some of the other discs I have played around with/reviewed. Even though I am a "Vibram Guy" I hope they do well. I know one of the original guys, and they are made in Texas, both win-win for me.

Here is a link to the video: https://youtu.be/RuPrusNVkqw (currently uploading)

https://youtu.be/RuPrusNVkqw

The wind has been crazy these past 2 days with that weird cold front. Thanks again Chase! Looking forward to more of them.

Latest posts