• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MN disc golf scene

T.Hizzle

Eagle Member
Someone seems to think the DG scene in MN is turning lame.

"the MN scene is F'd IMO but that's another thread. with the amount of courses there shouldn't be so many different entities and those willing should combine powers to make greater impacts but like I said-- another thread really.

We have so many players/courses and a lame ass "pro" scene. all locals."

Thoughts?

Politics and bs in general runs rampant in the disc golf world, I don't live in your area, and have no idea what exactly you are trying to refer too, but IMO your area is light years ahead of most areas in the country/world when it comes to disc golf. If your winters were not so harsh and the Vikings weren't your football team, I'd live there in a heartbeat.

Lets put your OP in a little context-- it came in response to this persons post:

the mn mankato dg benefit money they raised has gone missing from what i hear...

it was supposed to be a fundraiser for the terrible land of memories course. and league hasnt made any improvements to the course. in fact its getting ****tier. and now the tourny money from the benefit has gone missing is the word on the street

and then was followed up by them:

with all the nice courses around and plenty of people for resources you would think we could do better. last tourny i was at all i did was hear about high school drama of whose taking care of what course and redesigns and whose veto'ing what. give me a break.

Then, here is a recent PM from someone who played with another local poster from out of the area:
but he said there is some site, or forums, or maybe even a fb page but its just filled with people whining like babies on there. i talked to a retail store owner and he said there is so much bs drama. i dont get it, its supposed to be a fun sport/hobby.
The MFA welcoming was rather lackluster IMO also upon posting there. We have a lot to offer here and take little advantage of it. There are a few who get it but as a whole its more of a "US" mentality.

It depends what you want out of it. I used to live in MN and might move back soon and I enjoy the plethora of courses and stay away from the tourney scene. My local league was fun and simple and as far as I know, it is still very similar.

It depends what you want out of it. I used to live in MN and might move back soon and I enjoy the plethora of courses and stay away from the tourney scene. My local league was fun and simple and as far as I know, it is still very similar.

Why do you stay away from the tourney scene?

Why do you stay away from the tourney scene?

Because it's a waste of money.

I would rather throw the same discs that I have had forever with a close friend or by myself then pay $40 to play with a bunch of bros that I don't know and get more plastic that I don't need.

Plus most disc golfers who are serious about the sport are annoying to me. I prefer a much more casual play.

There certainly are a lot of courses in Minnesota, and some nice folks you meet playing said courses. Good enough for me.

We are lucky enough to play a sport that doesn't require you to spend obscene amounts of money to enjoy it, and I intend to exploit that characteristic.

I'll leave the PDGA and tournament fees to those who want to compete, rather than play for fun.

Because it's a waste of money.

I would rather throw the same discs that I have had forever with a close friend or by myself then pay $40 to play with a bunch of bros that I don't know and get more plastic that I don't need.

Plus most disc golfers who are serious about the sport are annoying to me. I prefer a much more casual play.[/QUOTE

i would rather pick my own plastic anyway . if i could actually win something

Last edited:
In general the MN disc golf scene is great. There are a lot of quality courses and great tournaments and events that go on all year long.

There are more than a few people that have their own unique view on the sport and aren't afraid to let people know. I highly doubt it is much better/worse than any other place in the country.

I love the disc golf scene in Minnesota as far as I have experienced so far. I play every day when the weather permits, but haven't ever competed in any tournaments. There are a lot of courses to play, and there is a large enough selection of really nice courses around the metro area. People tend to be friendly, and its a very welcoming atmosphere. Sometimes wish there were more places I could stretch my arm out and really go for distance,

I love the disc golf scene in Minnesota as far as I have experienced so far. I play every day when the weather permits, but haven't ever competed in any tournaments. There are a lot of courses to play, and there is a large enough selection of really nice courses around the metro area. People tend to be friendly, and its a very welcoming atmosphere. Sometimes wish there were more places I could stretch my arm out and really go for distance,

You are kind of limited to the acreage these smaller suburbs are willing to commit to the sport. We have some nice courses, but we also have some trashy ones with bad reputations. I know several park boards are very hesitant about committing space to disc golf. While she was nice about it, the chair at Plymouth P&R once told while I was filling out paperwork to run a tournament at Plymouth Creek that they were one major complaint or smoking/alcohol/drugs violation away from closing that course. That had been threatening that for years, but in 2013 that had tightened the league/ tournament requirements for the course, almost looking for an excuse to close up shop.

If you want to stretch out your arm you are basically limited to Crown College, Fort Snelling, Elm Creek, HSSA, and Lochness. Courses like Lakewood, Kaposia, Oakwood, BRP, and Bryant have a few big shots, but most of the Twin Cities proper is about technical shots and scoring well by keeping it in the fairway.

Latest posts