• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Modifying your Instep

steve a

* Ace Member *
Alright I know a bunch of us got in on the Newegg deal and bought some cheap baskets. Lets post up what we have done to customize and improve upon the original.

I plan on leaving mine outdoors for most of its life and will be painting the center poles. I also plan on adding an extra set of chains as well. I will probably use Zipties to attach the extra chains.

Has anyone made one into a Bullseye knockoff?

Anyone made the into permanently installed basket?

Lets make everyone who doesn't have one of these cheap gems jealous.

Mine showed up today. I am going to uses threaded chain links to add the second set of chains. I will post picks when I get it done. It may not be till sometime next week. I have a busy weekend. Snowboarding is starting in the Midwest. Wild Mountain I'll be rippin in the morning...

I made a knockoff of the Bullseye with mine already

imag0275u.jpg

imag0276z.jpg

Only took 14 zipties to do it.

14 zip ties @ .06 ea = .84

Havnt gotten mine yet but was thinking the same thing with the zip ties. I might also paint the whole thing with a rust proof paint

I am going to make a poly-lined cover to pull over the basket. It will be cylindrical shaped and pull down over it like a BBQ Grill cover. Should be pretty easy.

This'll allow me to keep it outside somewhat sheltered from the elements.

I am going to make a poly-lined cover to pull over the basket. It will be cylindrical shaped and pull down over it like a BBQ Grill cover. Should be pretty easy.

This'll allow me to keep it outside somewhat sheltered from the elements.

Could be a market for this. I have seen trash bags used on courses with multiple baskets during tournaments.

It's not an instep, but I thought I'd post a little modification I did to my Mach Lite.

IMG_0850.jpg

My cheap-ass solution to spit-outs, and a way to quiet the chains down if I decide to do some night-putting. Works pretty well, and attaches really easily with two carabiners.

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

All I did was take a piece of twine, doubled it so it was a loop and tied it just a little longer than the width of the towel. Cut a hole in the middle of the towel and put the twine in the crease, so the twine could pop out of the hole I made in the middle of the towel. Attached one carabiner to the twine coming out the middle attached to chains, and the other carabiner I use to lock both sides of the towel/twine together and hook to the chains.

Swap the poles to make a smaller target area and enter training mode for "no low putts":

IMG_6795.JPG

Adding inner chains mod.

Unhooked factory chains:
IMG_6798.JPG

Added my own inner chains:
IMG_6799.JPG

New chain connections:
IMG_6800.JPG

Close up, outer chains to 3" ring, inner chains to 7" ring:
IMG_6801.JPG

^^^ looks good, thanks for pics ... what it set you back? what size and how much chain? im going to try and do this same thing in next week or so

deadeye: does that muffle pretty well? I'm thinking about doing it to my mach lite when it moves inside for the winter.

I have had this instep basket for seven years. As you can see I have added a center ring of chains to the basket. It has lived outside all of the seven years I have had it, in the type of environment that you see in the pics. If it can stand up to the climate here in northern New England as well as it has then I would think that it could work for your church course as well. I know that there are a lot of haters of the instep basket out there, and some of them have even replied in this thread, but with the extra chains it catches as well or better than any basket out there. It is a good deal for the money. All it cost me was thirty bucks for the extra chains. And a six pack for a friend to make the fourteen tack welds. Hate it or love it, the choice is yours, but the condition of my basket speaks for its self. Oh I have repainted it once about three years ago.

deadeye: does that muffle pretty well? I'm thinking about doing it to my mach lite when it moves inside for the winter.

It doesn't remove the sounds of chains, but what it does remove is the sound of the disc/chains hitting against the metal pole in the middle. Helps remove some of the racket, but not all.