• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Modifying your Instep

Nope. I just use tent stakes to hold the standard base in place and added some mulch for a "finished" look. Nice to know that my little plan apparently worked.

Sorry that I'm no actual help regarding your question.

Hmm-sneaky!

My InStep is almost five years old and thousands of putts later it still looks new. Never leaving it outside likely helps. I added the inner chains using zip ties and a copper ring made of 8 gauge wire (outers were later replaced with the same, better chains).

I wanted the target diameter to more closely match regulation baskets so I used zip ties to draw the chains towards the middle, making the diameter five inches smaller. The catch basket is also raised about three inches by placing a PVC pipe spacer on top of the C-clasp. It's close enough now to regulation dimensions it can be used in an event need (like the last several weeks at Sugaw Creek Am League to stand in for stolen #11).

Because the basket is often used indoors, there's a PVC sleeve with target dots covering the pipe to dampen the sound. I can stand in the den and shoot 20-footers into the wash room and you can't hear it upstairs. I take the sleeve off when using outside.

Attachments

• InStep mod 1.jpg
    InStep mod 1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 261
  • InStep Mod 2.jpg
    InStep Mod 2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 223
Not much of a mod but we've painted ours with an antique copper paint and are in the process of switching the nuts and bolts to brass. Going for a more antique looking InStep.

UzgSJ.jpg

Just got mine in. Modded it to go on top of my corner desk thing.

Also Bullseye mod and towel sound dampener.

You can get cheap S hooks at Harbor Freight if you buy a package of short bungees.

I added inner chains to mine, cost right around $25 but was worth it. I also brought the chains in a bit tighter with zip ties. But my favorite modification yet has got to be the $1 solar garden light I bought today. 4 hours after sundown, and I'm still putting away. :D

If you own a discatcher sport you can literally stack it on top of the instep. The flag pole will hold it up there for you. Really cool if you need to practice putting with elevation. Try that for a modification.:thmbup:

I really want to see this, does anyone have both so they can take a picture?

That's pretty awesome. How'd you do it?

the pseudo-arroyo cross hatch inner chains were actually pretty easy, i just hung the chains that came with the basket on the circle like everyone has been doing, then just looped the 10th/20th link from each chain together to get that diamond pattern, alternating between the 10th and 20th...

wow, that sounds a lot more confusing/difficult than it really was

A couple of mine have been outside for a couple years now and the red paint is starting to fade. I like your color selection bogeyhack. Maybe it will inspire me.

A couple of mine have been outside for a couple years now and the red paint is starting to fade. I like your color selection bogeyhack. Maybe it will inspire me.

that's actually the stock color (seattle sports variant from costco), which is starting to fade after just a couple months, thinkin a repaint is going to be in it's future

that's actually the stock color (seattle sports variant from costco), which is starting to fade after just a couple months, thinkin a repaint is going to be in it's future

Interesting! It still gave me an idea... so thanks anyway! :)

Another thing I discovered on mine, the center pole is pretty much just a top-rail chain link fence pole. You can buy these for $10 for a 10' section. This is awesome if you're crazy and want to mount your instep somewhere. You can drive or bury a short pole section in the ground and use a coupler to connect the two pieces, or you can just replace the stock pole on the instep and put that in the ground. That also allows you to easily raise the basket a bit if you want to. It makes fr a pretty cheap basket if you're wanting to put in a private course on your property.

S-hooks Tear up Discs?

Think I read somewhere that the S-hooks are tearing up discs. Anyone had that problem? Thinking of using a larger ring, maybe a 4" instead of a 3", to get rid of the S-hooks on the bottom of the basket.

Thanks.

Think I read somewhere that the S-hooks are tearing up discs. Anyone had that problem? Thinking of using a larger ring, maybe a 4" instead of a 3", to get rid of the S-hooks on the bottom of the basket.

Thanks.

I've had no such issues with mine.

Latest posts