• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Molds you tried this year that made the bag, and those that didn't.

grotto

Double Eagle Member
Well, it's the end of the season; what molds did you try for the first time this season that made the bag and which didn't?

Made;
Rhyno
Truth
Stag
Patriot
Tsunami

Didn't;
Inertia- little too squirrely
Tesla - Rim too shallow for me
FD2 - Prefer the Banshee
Bard - Not as stable as the numbers suggest
Trident - Apparently I got one of the duds
Hellfire - Fun to throw, just never found a use for it

Still on the fence with;
Whale
P1X
Bandit

So, what were your gems and duds?

Well, it's the end of the season; what molds did you try for the first time this season that made the bag and which didn't?
So, what were your gems and duds?

These are the ones that made the strongest impression upon me, good or bad:

The Gems:
Colt (proto-DX and Star, especially Star)
Star TL (Champs, also, but Star is best for me)
Classic Blend Judge
Champion (Pink) Panther

The Good:
C-Line FD
Gold Line River
Gold Line Fury
Wave (just gotta get weight and PLH right)
M5
Roc3
Krait

------------------

Okay, but on the sidelines:
Mako3
Axis
Blizzard Dominator

The Fails:
Atlas
Orbital
SS Wizard (still practice with it, though)
Freedom

Most of my purchases were backups this year. Only new molds were Wrath, Insanity, Pure, Zone. Pretty sure that's it.

Wrath is in for sure, kicked out the Volt, giving more separation between its spot and my Craves. Insanity so far is keeping its spot over the Inertia, but I'm considering a lighter weight Inertia that I might like better.

I love the Pure. I don't know that I need the Pure. It's in the bag, but I also have a Proxy on the way that hopefully has less fade. Pure is a great 1 disc round. But when I have a full bag, I go for my Envies or Omegas before I grab it on most shots.

Zone is also in the bag for now, but it's not as stable as I had hoped. With my fresh, max weight Envy, I don't use it often and would probably prefer a beefier midrange instead. This and the understable fairway are the only 2 spots in my bag that I'm not completely settled on.

Every disc that didn't have an H/LSS, when added together of +2 or higher left the bag this year in the name of improving the flex & flick. I just can't seem to resist a disc in the bag that's tried and true in order to improve my overall game so I have to leave them at home. Come Jan 1st, I'm tossing some my old favorites back in like the TL and Katana.

The Teebird3 is now my go-to driver.

I'm on the fence with the Buzzz OS - still looking for that over-stable mid.

The Thunderbird didn't make the cut. I've heard many good things about it, but I feel like I can cover most shots with Teebirds, Firebirds, and Destroyers...no need for another driver in the bag.

Made:
S-line MD3 - Gem
C-line FD3
S-line FD3 - Gem
S-line P2
C-line DD
D-line P2 - Gem - bye bye p-line
(I threw most of these in other plastics leading into 2015)

Didn't:
Cd2
MD1
TD2
PD
P1x
Second Run FD's

A lot of the discs in the "didn't" list I previously threw other seasons and gave them a fair change again.

Planning to test for 2016:
G-line PD2
G-line DD (if released)
S-line FD2 (if released)
MD4 (if OS mid released)
Star Teebird
Star/Champ Roadrunner
Star/Champ Valkyrie
Champion Cro

Last edited:
Rocs made the bag. Voodoos made the bag. Star Starfires in (kicked out Thunderbirds).

Wanted to like the Roadrunner, but just didn't click with it. Kaxe, no go. MRV, still a possibility, but probably not going to make it.

I think that's it.

Wasp for overstable roc3
Drone for, well Drone stuff
Rival for cheap PIAS disc to throw over water that I fell in love with flight and plastic
Gstar Firebird for out of the box seasoned(but still reliable) Firebird flight

Still not sure, but leaning toward making the bag are Opto Pure and Champ Mako3

Made it
Sidewinder
KC Pro Roc
Zone
Leopard

Didn't make it
Theory
Proxy
Scale
Roadrunner
Felon
Justice
Crave
Inspire

Still considering, but not committed
Leopard3
Voodoo
Roc3

Left the bag
Patriot
Pure (not needed with beat in Judge)
Comet (not needed with beat in KC Roc)
C-PD (Thunderbird won)
Outlaw (Too fast for me)
Destroyer (Too fast for me)

I fell in love with the Colt and the Thief this year. The colt knocked out my beat in Buzzzes and the Thief knocked out my Eagles.

Tesla, Resistor, Axis and Atoms are in.

Inertia and Envy had a spot for a while, but fell out of favor.

Still on the fence with the Wave

I didnt do as much new mold sampling this year. Focused more on dialing in my bag with what I had.

A few I did try though:

Made it:
Justice
Trident
McPro Aviar
Thunderbird

Didnt:
Truth
Wrath
Fireball

ITB:
Photon
Orbital
Virus
Relay
Proxy

....lots didnt'

Wave
Wrath
Fireball
Clash
Insanity
Nova
Scale
Lockjaw
All D series 1-4
Clozer
Outlaw
Raketen hex BS..
Atom
Whatever salient molds i tested

Made It:
Destroyer
XXX
Roc3
Tern
VP

Out/Didn't Make It:
Thunderbird
H1
Mace
D4
Ridge

New in the bag

X-P1xs great for putting and straight shots. A X-P2 is in there toi but that is just a trusty individual, not really blown away by them in general.
P-MD3 AMAZING for straight shots. Best new mold(okay plastic) of 2015, hands down.
Swirly S-P2 for stable putter drives & anhyzers. Still bag a Premium Jokeri for real OS duties tho.

JL DD also made it, surprisingly. Thought too much overlap with Firebirds but the added speed sets it apart. Super OS nevertheless.

G-PD2 is still in Prospect status.

FD3s were ok but cant compete with currently bagged Firebirds.

Tried a few other discs too but not really with any intent to bag.

In:

D1 (sorta, just replacing a lost xcal for now, maybe it'll stick)
FD3
Comet

Didn't make it or Out:
Xcal (haven't found one I like to replace a lost one and the D1 has been working lately)
Sentinel MF
Leo
Monster
Verdict
Tern
Hellfire
Serpent

Not many changes really. The Out/didn't make it list is mostly stuff I just screwed around with without really intending to let stick. The only real "Out" is the Monster, which isn't 100% out for the FD3, I've sometimes carried both.

What made my bag
-Lucid Truth
-Gold Line Claymore
-Star Beast
-G Star Destroyer
-Tournament Underworld
-SSS Voodoo
-X-Link Ridge
-Z-line Zombee

What I keep in the trunk as it wasn't quite what I was looking for
-Z-line Buzzz OS
-Titanium Nuke
-VIP Air King
-DX Teebird
-Opto Hex Missilin
-Pro Boss
-Z-line Nuke SS

Basically I switched from forehand to backhand as my main driving style, I also started taking the game and my form more seriously so all the big guns that I don't have the firepower to use got put away and I'm focusing on mid range. I carry 1 speed 10 driver (beast) for long water holes, the rest of the time I normally pound away with either the Truth, Claymore, or Buzzz.

Made the bag:
Soft Ridge
Glide
Buzzz OS
Thunderbird
H1

Kicked out of the bag:
Warlock
Drone
Hatchet
Firebird

Made it:

Proxy
Glide
Thunderbird
Champ TL

Didn't make it:
Insanity
Wrath

On the fence:
Buzzz OS - love it, but not much of a gap between the Zone and finesse shots with FD2 or Firebird.