• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting together a disc cycling bag...

MikeTheBlueCow

Par Member
I'm looking to set up a bag to start cycling discs. I've researched which discs have the right flight path for the slots I'm looking to fill, but the thing is I don't have a store near me that would have all the discs I'm looking at, and I don't really want to buy the 4-5 molds I have to choose from, for each slot, just to try them out (or is that the only way?). I would like to see which discs from Innova, Trilogy, and MVP/Axiom could work for me.

Also, for MVP/Axiom, I've heard they wear in slowly but is that because of the gyro technology (their website seems to imply that has an effect on less change in flight characteristics over time) or just because they are in premium plastic and would therefore wear at the same rate as other premium plastics? If they wear in more slowly, then does it make sense to use these to cycle?

Here is the bag setup I'm thinking of, and the molds I'm looking at. Basically it is 2 molds at each range (distance driver, control driver, fairway driver, midrange, putter/approach); one that's stable and can be cycled to understable, and one that's just meant to stay very overstable.

Distance Drivers

* For cycling: Halo -- I have this and it is now "stable" rather than "overstable". I could see myself adding a new Halo to start cycling these.

* OS: World -- I would keep this as my "definitively overstable" disc and just replace with new when it gets too beat. I'm thinking it would be too rough/uncomfortable to throw to cycle these things for all slots because of how overstable they start out as.

Control Drivers

* OS: I have a Star Firebird that's fine, but I haven't tried out other companies' discs for this slot. I'm looking at the Felon, Fireball, and Motion (quick q: are the MVP/Axiom discs that have similar flight paths from each brand the actual same molds, or just that offering from each brand? They have several that seem to match up, but not all of their molds are available from each brand).

* Cycling: I already have a Thunderbird but am looking at the Escape, Wrath, Tesla, Convict, Stag

Midranges
* I don't have a disc for this slot that I like, so I'm looking at new molds. I'm thinking I can just cycle one of these from full overstable to understable: Roc3, Commander (if those get a wide release, they sound like a Vtech Roc3), Bard, Verdict, Tensor, Vector, Mace

Putter/approachers
* Should I have a designated overstable mold, or just cycle these?
* For OS I'm looking at: Rhyno, Vibram VP, Harp, Zone
* For stable/to cycle, I'm looking at: Aviar, Whale, Ion, Pure

Utility discs/gap fillers

* A speed 11 stable disc, I have a Boatman I like for this slot.

* A speed 7 stable disc, I have a Teebird but am also looking at the Spark, Notch, or Resistor.

* I have a Star Dart, which I really like for shorter approach shots, but not as a driving putter, so I'm planning on keeping it in my bag purely for this, at least for now.

* I have a Star Wedge I'm planning on keeping for anny approaches... not sure if a beat disc will get understable enough to match it.

Why cycle when you can buy discs that fly as you want them right out of the box?

But if you absolutely have to:

Putters: Aviars are great for cycling, zone is great for OS.
Mids: Roc3 can be any disc you want
fairway: leopards and teebirds are what everybody has been cycling for since they existed.

Don't really have time to give a long response, but the World is NOT as overstable as advertised. Not even a little bit.

There are tons of 150 DX Leopards sitting used out there begging to be your US fairway. Easy to replace if needed too

Premium plastic is time consuming and risky to cycle versus just using baseline plastics. It takes time for champ and star type plastics to beat into a different flight significantly. And if you lose that used, seasoned disc it sucks badly.

Premium can be good for cycling, because when it gets to where you want it beat into it can stay there for a extra long time, so that's a positive. But you have to consider weigh the factors above.

I have thrown allot of dynamic discs and their Classic line is very stiff, and holds up really well while still breaking in and getting less stability than premium. But still holds much better than dx. For that quick break in and $8 price tag they have prime, firm, grippy baseline.

Easier to cycle in my opinion and you don't have to worry about losing a disc you've been throwing for years. Easily cyclable.

I don't know, I understand both schools of thought. And do both theories at times.

Latest posts