• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

monarchs available?

JR said:
Jesse B 707 said:
roman said:
Wow, more glide than the Monarch? I have to try this disc, even if it is flippy as all hell. The glide on the Monarch still impresses me every time I throw it.
NO please dont try it. the amount of height these things need to even think about fading back is unrealistic on 99.9% of golf holes. i was throwing them on almost a 45 degree hyzer and they would still turn into a roller

If I recall correctly the EGR Helios you threw wasn't max weight. What was it? I imagine that a max weight Helios might work for finessed long throws. There's a mouthful and a contradiction if there ever was one :) I've intentionally passed on the EGR in wait of FGR that was promised to ship to the States this week by mattlock on the PDGA forum. I was mainly thinking these for hyzer flip max D and throwing under branches low to the ground for getting out of trouble. meaning where you lack room to throw properly.

I've been looking at Monarchs keenly too. I just don't know which weight to get. Locally 173-175 are available but I've read that weight for weight Roadrunner flies farther. It's just gonna beat quickly to unpredictable and flippy while not rolling well. IME. Since Monarchs come in lower weights I think I want a minimum weight one if I can handle a heavy one. Don't know anyone who has one so I'll probably get one heavy locally and decide afterward if I dare to try a light one. I'm gonna get a Helios FGR for max D just don't know if EGR glides farther as happens with many other molds.

I'm afraid that a monarch overlaps with my 174 Opto Vision which is a slightly better Sidewinder in flight. More predictable. Might be longer though. Vision is almost as picky about all angles as a Sidewinder for max D and really isn't that long. Easy to get far if angles are correct meaning needs little power. Unfortunately it gets very demanding of angles if full power is applied. I've got discs already that are longer than the Vision.
thats a steel trap of a memory youve got there. i had a 165 (uselessly flippy) 170 (had some huge bombs with it but soooo unpredictable) and a 175 gummy (less stable than the 170??!!)

I've had a keen eye on Helios and was watching everything that's said about it closely. I've been waiting for the FGR to arrive and wondered about the gummy thinking maybe it'd bend back after hits better than regular EGR. No joy then :-(

Jesse B 707 said:
JR said:
Jesse B 707 said:
roman said:
Wow, more glide than the Monarch? I have to try this disc, even if it is flippy as all hell. The glide on the Monarch still impresses me every time I throw it.
NO please dont try it. the amount of height these things need to even think about fading back is unrealistic on 99.9% of golf holes. i was throwing them on almost a 45 degree hyzer and they would still turn into a roller

If I recall correctly the EGR Helios you threw wasn't max weight. What was it? I imagine that a max weight Helios might work for finessed long throws. There's a mouthful and a contradiction if there ever was one :) I've intentionally passed on the EGR in wait of FGR that was promised to ship to the States this week by mattlock on the PDGA forum. I was mainly thinking these for hyzer flip max D and throwing under branches low to the ground for getting out of trouble. meaning where you lack room to throw properly.

I've been looking at Monarchs keenly too. I just don't know which weight to get. Locally 173-175 are available but I've read that weight for weight Roadrunner flies farther. It's just gonna beat quickly to unpredictable and flippy while not rolling well. IME. Since Monarchs come in lower weights I think I want a minimum weight one if I can handle a heavy one. Don't know anyone who has one so I'll probably get one heavy locally and decide afterward if I dare to try a light one. I'm gonna get a Helios FGR for max D just don't know if EGR glides farther as happens with many other molds.

I'm afraid that a monarch overlaps with my 174 Opto Vision which is a slightly better Sidewinder in flight. More predictable. Might be longer though. Vision is almost as picky about all angles as a Sidewinder for max D and really isn't that long. Easy to get far if angles are correct meaning needs little power. Unfortunately it gets very demanding of angles if full power is applied. I've got discs already that are longer than the Vision.
thats a steel trap of a memory youve got there. i had a 165 (uselessly flippy) 170 (had some huge bombs with it but soooo unpredictable) and a 175 gummy (less stable than the 170??!!)

Can't give reliable info on this yet because I only got a few throws in today. Bought a 175 yellow today. The glide is exceptional for small diameter disc. It requires a lot of hyzer. If a Helios is flippier by a lot then it's gonna be a bear to throw reliably. I really hope that FGR is more high speed stable than EGR. With higher glide Helios is gonna go far if it can be held flat and at high speeds. Since I had to give a lot of hyzer to my Monarch on full power. Helios might twist my spine if the comments I've read are correct.

I think that Monarch is fairly similar to Latitude64 Vision except that the Monarch glides a lot better.

I was more impressed by my Star Xcaliber 175 deflashed on an anhyzer. After 5 hours of throwing it s-curved to 410'. I thought I couldn't use it for anything other than forehands and hooks.

I got 2 throws with this today. (I forgot I had it)

It is similar to my *RR. The Monarch had more movement. The RR went straighter longer before going right and has a tighter fight overall. The Monarch did go about 20-30 ft farther on each toss. Its definatlely getting some more work. Cant wait to roll it

I played the other day with a 12 year old using the Monarch for repeated 300ft+ hyzerflips. Must be something to it.

Yeah, I've definitely seen lots of weaker arms hyzer-flip this disc for some good D.

dgdave said:
Anymore Roller reports on these?

i've been using this disc 4 quite sometime now and it has made its way into the bag 2 stay. it replaced my champ valk as my go to roller. i didn't think that would happen, especially since i had a nice stash of back ups.

the monarch might not be as long (i'm talking 20-30ft...no biggie), but it is MUCH easier to land on any angle you want and have the disc slowly get on its back. i'm a big fan and so is another innova local who also replaced his champ valk with the monarch.