• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

More bag advice

laflesh

I figured I'd update this since a lot has changed in the past month or so. I've revamped the bag quite a bit to take better advantage of my arm speed. I've improved my drives to around 200-240 feet or so. (LHBH) I've been throwing mids a lot more due to accuracy and am not really losing much distance. Here's my updated bag:

DX Eagle 165g

Champ Leopard 171g
DX Leopard 174g
DX Leopard 175g

Champ Gazelle 170g
DX Gazelle 171g

R-Pro Roc 180g
Star Rancho Roc 175g
Dx Roc 176g
DX Roc 174g

Soft Wizard 172g
Super Soft Wizard 172g x2

I've tried to really focus on discs that I can use to improve my form and consistency. I tried the Rocs and liked them a bit better than the Sharks. I can get them to hold different lines better like hyzers and anhyzers. The Gazelle has a bit more fade than the Leopards but it an easier driver for me to control. The reason I have doubles on some of my discs is just in case I lose one in the field. Does this bag seem pretty reasonable? If so, I'm gonna be content to learn these discs inside out before buying anything else. I've also been playing some rounds with just the Rocs and putters.

If so, I'm gonna be content to learn these discs inside out before buying anything else. I've also been playing some rounds with just the Rocs and putters.

Great start man, mids and putters are the way to start and then adding the drivers slowly. Its always a good sign to see that someone has a putter they like and from what I know Wizards are great driving putters, maybe do a few putter only rounds. Helped me a lot.

Rocs are great and you'll learn a versatile disc for future purposes. I like that you already have them in diff plastics because you know what they do/will learn them and love them. Also I hope you like the Eagle, those who learn in well seem to love them. What of it are you committed to for years to come? The reason I ask is because I could see you getting rid of the Gazelle and Leopard in the future if you really focus on learning the Eagle. I myself do not use them but know that, like Rocs, they beat uniquely and you could possibly have multiple eagles in various stages of wear that cover the same shots as the Gazelle/Leopards? Would you also consider just using a TBird instead of Gazelles?

Just some thoughts/idea, I like your bag though. Great for really learning. I myself just settled on something like this.

^^soft putters are tricky to drive with because they flex so much. most of the time, soft putters are a tad understable

If you aren't throwing about 320' or so, then you can probably stand to drop the Eagle for a while until your Gazelles and Leopards get there. Try to drive the Wizards out past 200' or 220', maybe even 250'... with that form you should be able to get your fairway drivers out past 300'. Then the Eagle will become useful in that you will get about another 20-30' over the Gazelles/Leopards if thrown properly.

^^soft putters are tricky to drive with because they flex so much. most of the time, soft putters are a tad understable
My Soft Wizard is not soft. Its actually a bit more firm than most DX Aviars I've felt.

i was talking about the OP, he has a soft and a super soft
Yeah, I know. The weird thing about Gateway's plastic is that what it is called generally has no bearing on the disc's actual firmness. For instance, I have read about SSS sometimes being more firm than S, and sometimes S is like a dinner plate. Sometimes SS is floppy as hell, sometimes it isn't. The S (soft) or medium generally are good driving firmness, though. But it really depends on if you got an odd-ball or not, which seems quite common when it comes to Gateway's blends.

sounds like a bunch of crap...what if you lose one or it gets hit by a lawn mower and you can't find the same kind of blend...

Yeah, you're right about the different plastic blends. My two super softs are both nice with good grip, and they cling to the chains. My soft wizard is more similar to an aviar consistency and is more suited to some mid drives. I have felt other wizards though that felt nothing like mine.

As for my bag, thanks for the advice guys. My most difficult shot is just a straight mid range shot at a pin from about 100-150 feet away. My shots always fade right naturally, so if I am along a tree line to my left, it's very difficult for me because I can't adjust very well for my hyzer. I can throw the anhyzer, but I just wish I had a solid straight shot in my arsenal.

I've noticed that the people at gateway must have grown up with discs made on concrete or steel, because my soft voodoo is quite possibly the firmest putter I've ever felt.

Learn to Hyzer flip the Leo's. You'll be able to finnesse it if you need a hyzer to the right, a finish left, or a straight slow fade. As a LHBHer myself I know what your game is like. I'm loving my Leo's also ;)

Latest posts