• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

More experience = less aces per holes played?

Well someone said something that was might be related to my post. Better write a big ol' paragraph defending myself against a perceived attack.

I don't think that all aces are bad shots gone lucky. If you are not running straight at the hole and are letting it fade into the basket it is a good shot gone better. This way, if you miss the ace it will simply continue to fade and park next to the basket. There are holes at several courses that I play that I go for the ace every time I play and even missing it I am still sitting for birdie. Also, if the basket has natural back stop behind it, it is not silly to run straight at it.

If you're still parking it then it probally wasn't chain high.

I also think top players do go for aces when the pool is high. They can pull more off some Ace pots then actual wins.

I also think top players do go for aces when the pool is high. They can pull more off some Ace pots then actual wins.
They also can...

1. Possibly make that 60' comebacker if it comes to that.

2. Even if they turn a potential '2' into a '3', they can likely make that stroke back on holes where an ace run really isn't a consideration.

One thing to note, aces don't always have to be the result of 'ace runs'. Occasionally when you're trying that spike hyzer or skipper to park it, be it a slight slip in your mechanics, the wind, divine intervention, what have you, you get a bit more glide out of your shot or a lucky carom and 'CHING!' in it goes.

I honestly can see both sides of the argument. A majority of aces would be far past the basket if they don't go in. However, my only ace came on a 320' spike hyzer that was about 40 feet in the air and right of the basket by about 20 feet when it faded back in and landed in the basket. Honestly, if I had missed the basket, my disc would have "tombstoned" within a few feet for a tap-in birdie. In short, it is possible to obtain an ace on a good shot but most often is the result of a fortunate line on a shot that was a little strong.

Not all aces are bad shots, there are some holes that just set theirselves up for a safe ace run.

I agree with this - I have two Thumber aces on the same hole with the same disc. Throw it high and let it drop by the basket - Two times it happened to drop in.

Yessir - thumber aces are the exception to the OP's point, and to a lesser degree spike hyzers too.

I honestly can see both sides of the argument. A majority of aces would be far past the basket if they don't go in. However, my only ace came on a 320' spike hyzer that was about 40 feet in the air and right of the basket by about 20 feet when it faded back in and landed in the basket. Honestly, if I had missed the basket, my disc would have "tombstoned" within a few feet for a tap-in birdie. In short, it is possible to obtain an ace on a good shot but most often is the result of a fortunate line on a shot that was a little strong.
One of my aces was exactly like that and I also have a skip ace that would have been very close had it not gone in. I think it depends on the situation. I have seen an ace that would have easily been 50-60 feet past if it had not gone in. I generally am in the camp that tries to park it under the basket. I only have 5 aces but none of them would have been far from the basket had I missed.

On a similar note, I seem to get more aces in the spring when my game isn't as good than any other time of year.

Aces are bad shots that got lucky so I agree with the OP.

I diagree. If you are aiming at the target (which I am notorious for running it instead of laying up) and you hit it, I don't see how luck is even involved. I would say an ace is lucky if it goes in on a skip or off a tree, but nothing but chains is pure skill.

Aces are a strange thing. I hit 4 in 2 months, then none for over a year. Sometimes your hot, sometimes not. They always come when you least expect them. If you are anticipating too much, you might never get one. I also generally don't play for the safe shot unless I'm in a competitive round.

Yessir - thumber aces are the exception to the OP's point, and to a lesser degree spike hyzers too.

My only ace within the last year is a thumber ace. The baskets I've hit recently have mostly been bad pulls.

To be honest, I have three aces. The first was a skip in after 2 months of playing. Lucky.
The second was a purposeful run at an elevated basket. Skill. A miss would have put me in a lake, but I couldn't resist.
The third was a spike forehand with intention of parking. Skluck? And yes, when playing anything but tourneys, or if my buddy has beaten me too many times in a row and I need to play smart to shut him up, I tin cup the ace runs. The magic of disc golf mathematics: Turning a 2 into a four with a flick of the wrist:doh:

Latest posts