• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

More videos to critique, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

racer93

Double Eagle Member
Here they are. Both are 80% power with echo star teebirds that went maybe 300'. Wasn't trying to get a full rip, just wanted to get a video of my form. Pretty typical. When I really try to strong arm it, it will go maybe 40-50' further. The form is not that much different. Slightly longer reach back when I try to get more D. Anyway, here they are. I'll answer questions as they come up, if you have any...

BTW, the drives were flat and were maybe 15' off the ground the entire flight.

Here's the link to them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0pp_gzWya8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaIDNj5q_zI

Thanks!

Daniel

I'm not here to critique. I am here asking did that really go 300'? You must have really strong arms cause if I did it that way I doubt it would go more than 100'. I am looking at all forms trying to figure out how to get to 300' and yours looks so easy but I know its not.

I'm not here to critique. I am here asking did that really go 300'? You must have really strong arms cause if I did it that way I doubt it would go more than 100'. I am looking at all forms trying to figure out how to get to 300' and yours looks so easy but I know its not.

It did. When I looked at the video, I thought the same thing. Now I will say that the distances are approximate (I was just guesstimating), but I have been playing for 10 years and have a good feel for the difference between 250' and 300'. I thought it somewhere between 290' and 310', plus or minus a little.

Just out of curiosity,how long did it take you before you could hit 300' and hit it on a regular basis?
thanks and I will quit asking questions so the good disc golf players can give you their critique!:)

Still pulling early, and not quite forward. Get those right and it should fix the nose up and pivot.

Still pulling early, and not quite forward. Get those right and it should fix the nose up and pivot.

There's no nose up problem on these throws (15' of altitude). I can see my acceleration during the hit is actually deceleration, so that's a big problem...I do see that my weight isn't quite forward enough, so you're definitely right there.

What's the "pivot" you mentioned at the end?

Just out of curiosity,how long did it take you before you could hit 300' and hit it on a regular basis?
thanks and I will quit asking questions so the good disc golf players can give you their critique!:)

Not a problem! It took me about a year, maybe a little less of studying, reading, watching others that could throw further than I could. Throwing understable plastic (leopards, roadrunners, etc). Read all you can, video yourself if you can, watch others and play with people better than you. That is the way. Play in local leagues. Most there will help you (myself included).

Daniel

There's no nose up problem on these throws (15' of altitude). I can see my acceleration during the hit is actually deceleration, so that's a big problem...I do see that my weight isn't quite forward enough, so you're definitely right there.

What's the "pivot" you mentioned at the end?

First throw is def nose up looking at the release, hard to tell on the second one, but believe it is also. TBs aren't that nose sensitive so the difference in flight is fairly subtle. The deceleration also has to do with pulling early. Your pull is leading your body which also leading to the late foot pivot and hip jamming.

I'd say post a video from a little bit behind so we can see a good amount of the beginning flight of the disc, that would help as well.

I can see my acceleration during the hit is actually deceleration, so that's a big problem
That's something I noticed. You aren't coming in with too much speed, but you aren't accelerating when you need to, either.

Treethacker, the reson those throws look "weak" but still go 300' is because he's not accelerating as early as most people. Most people accelerate up to the point where the disc gets to the right pec and then maintain that speed or decelerate after that. That's the opposite of what needs to happen. I find that starting off like racer93 is doing in those videos and then adding late acceleration is an easy way to get the feel for that timing.

That's something I noticed. You aren't coming in with too much speed, but you aren't accelerating when you need to, either.

Treethacker, the reson those throws look "weak" but still go 300' is because he's not accelerating as early as most people. Most people accelerate up to the point where the disc gets to the right pec and then maintain that speed or decelerate after that. That's the opposite of what needs to happen. I find that starting off like racer93 is doing in those videos and then adding late acceleration is an easy way to get the feel for that timing.

you are very right, garub. I went to the field this am and tried to use the hips exclusively for the accel until the right pec and then the arm/shoulder for the accel after that. It worked! I was hitting drives close to 400'! That's 60-70' further than I was a week ago. Amazing.

I can't wait until I get more things into my throw that I haven't been doing or have been doing wrong. Should be amazing. BTW, the above throws were with surge SSs and pro katanas, both about the same.

you are very right, garub. I went to the field this am and tried to use the hips exclusively for the accel until the right pec and then the arm/shoulder for the accel after that. It worked! I was hitting drives close to 400'! That's 60-70' further than I was a week ago. Amazing.

I can't wait until I get more things into my throw that I haven't been doing or have been doing wrong. Should be amazing. BTW, the above throws were with surge SSs and pro katanas, both about the same.
I find it's easier to feel the hit with slower discs than faster ones. I'll really hit it an order of magnitude times more often with discs with Innova speed 7 and below than I will with discs with Innova speed 9 and up.

I find it's easier to feel the hit with slower discs than faster ones. I'll really hit it an order of magnitude times more often with discs with Innova speed 7 and below than I will with discs with Innova speed 9 and up.

I feel the opposite is true for me. My fingers fit wide-rimmed drivers better than discs like TBs. (Long fingers.) It actually hurts trying to contort my fingers to fit under the rim, even with a lot of mids.

I really am starting to like the surge SSs. I got a 173 from toothyfish and love the way it was flying today. Just like a Katana, just a little slower. Big, wide S turns into a slight headwind and a small s into calm/slight tailwind.

I just can't believe how much of a difference that one small thing made. Wow. I'm pretty happy, if you couldn't tell! :D

I feel the opposite is true for me. My fingers fit wide-rimmed drivers better than discs like TBs. (Long fingers.) It actually hurts trying to contort my fingers to fit under the rim, even with a lot of mids.
That could be a grip issue that's robbing you of some power, too. While it may feel like you can grip those wider rimmed discs better, you actually get a stronger rip from narrower rimmed discs. There's a little bit about it in this thread at DGR:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17249

I can't find the thread right now, but it's been confirmed by Bradley Walker over there by using a radar gun. He got consistantly faster speeds out of his hand with Rocs than with Destroyers.

I can't find the thread right now, but it's been confirmed by Bradley Walker over there by using a radar gun. He got consistantly faster speeds out of his hand with Rocs than with Destroyers.

Really? Wow. That is interesting. I can see where one could get a tighter grip on a narrower-rimmed disc, but getting a higher release speed with a roc vs a destroyer...that's hard to fathom! Trying to get my mind wrapped around that one...

I wonder if it would depend on your hand size. It seems Bradley (from his vids) has sausage hands and fingers, so it might fit his hand better.

Back to my grips, I have had a grip issue or at least FELT like I did. I think once I can incorporate all the changes I found today fully into my drives, I think I'm going to play around with using the power grip. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the help!

So, I go back out to the field this AM and did some standstill work ala Dan Beato's instructional video. After a few rounds of tries, I amazed myself--I was able to throw a few 375' throws with no run up!

All I did differently was 1) Tried my hardest to keep the disc close to my chest; 2) Keep my weight waaaaay forward over my plant foot; 3) Focus on hip acceleration in the first part and then arm accel later (must do a better job in this); 4) Grip strength. Those four things transformed my throw WITH a run up from 340' to one without it to 375'! Same disc!

Just amazing that small things like this can make such a large difference. Now all I have to do is keep practicing...:wall:

Daniel

very inspirational...I need to get out and practice my noodle arm into a ________(insert funny comparison here, couldn't think of one)

Still not forward and pulling early. Its hard to tell without slomo but it looks like your elbow keeps moving forward through the hit, so the lower arm doesn't get the acceleration. Keep your elbow higher closer to shoulder at the hit. You get more power keeping the elbow in plane with the shoulder and eliminate some potential OAT issues at release. What are you throwing? You follow through annie, throw something less stable and follow through hyzer.

Still not forward and pulling early. Its hard to tell without slomo but it looks like your elbow keeps moving forward through the hit, so the lower arm doesn't get the acceleration. Keep your elbow higher closer to shoulder at the hit. You get more power keeping the elbow in plane with the shoulder and eliminate some potential OAT issues at release. What are you throwing? You follow through annie, throw something less stable and follow through hyzer.

Actually, almost all of my throws come out hyzered. I was throwing a beat wraith and a leopard. No flutter or OAT problems on my drives. Some nose up, but I'm really trying hard to get it forward. Kinda hard to erase 2 years of not playing...

You're talking about the elbow chop, right? Will keeping the elbow up and inline with the shoulder do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts