• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

More videos to critique, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not following through with hyzer in side view vid. Your left shoulder finishes high. The front view looks a little better, but its hard to see the shoulder line from the camera angle.

Elbow chop you have, you're not pausing to release the lower arm faster. Missing a little shoulder pause to start the elbow acceleration. Think of releasing your lower arm faster than your elbow is moving, acceleration from slowing the elbow. Keeping your elbow closer to your shoulder line helps eliminate a number of mistakes, as KC says.

You still need to work on finishing like this:

You are not following through with hyzer in side view vid. Your left shoulder finishes high. The front view looks a little better, but its hard to see the shoulder line from the camera angle.

Elbow chop you have, you're not pausing to release the lower arm faster. Missing a little shoulder pause to start the elbow acceleration. Think of releasing your lower arm faster than your elbow is moving, acceleration from slowing the elbow. Keeping your elbow closer to your shoulder line helps eliminate a number of mistakes, as KC says.

The elbow not "stopping" to release the forearm is something I noticed last night looking at the first vid. Does this "pause" happen naturally when you keep the elbow up? I can see a possible big improvement if this happens, but I'm not sure.

Kind of an interesting thing is that my mid game is MUCH better than my long range game. I think that it's because when I throw a mid-range accuracy shot, I keep my elbow up at shoulder level. Invariably, it goes absolutely straight and wherever I want it. But, I don't do it on max-d drives. How weird is that?

Yesterday my longest flying disc was my comet at 350'+, longer than my katanas, surge ss, etc. (Granted the comet turned and came back, whereas the others were straight and hyzered with no flip.) I think it's throwing without the elbow chop that's killing my driver drives...

The elbow pause is easier to time with the elbow in plane with the shoulders. Keeping your elbow in plane with the shoulders should also help you get your shoulders in hyzer plane. You want to have your lower arm moving faster than everything else at the hit. If your elbow doesn't slow down its impossible to get the lower arm moving faster than it or releasing it. Brad Walker explains this well on DGR, but forget which thread.

Your mids are better than your drivers most likely because of nose up(elbow-shoulder plane may help fix) which is quite common and you are not getting your weight forward. Also if you try to max power your drivers, your form will break down because its harder to time everything. I would suggest putting the Katana and Surges away because you are not getting them up to speed. Use fairway drivers until you get them to 350'+, and get a new measuring device besides your johnson.

The elbow pause is easier to time with the elbow in plane with the shoulders. Keeping your elbow in plane with the shoulders should also help you get your shoulders in hyzer plane. You want to have your lower arm moving faster than everything else at the hit. If your elbow doesn't slow down its impossible to get the lower arm moving faster than it or releasing it. Brad Walker explains this well on DGR, but forget which thread.

Your mids are better than your drivers most likely because of nose up(elbow-shoulder plane may help fix) which is quite common and you are not getting your weight forward. Also if you try to max power your drivers, your form will break down because its harder to time everything. I would suggest putting the Katana and Surges away because you are not getting them up to speed. Use fairway drivers until you get them to 350'+, and get a new measuring device besides your johnson.

I have put away the katanas (after yesterday), but I'm still using surge SSs due to the lower stability. I am getting them, TBs and Leos out to 350' without a run up (maxed at 375', no run up). This was on a football field, throwing from end of the end zone to end of end zone (360', not measured with my johnson. That's 375', hard to compare accurately). Why the need to slam? I don't get it. I'm just asking for help...

Slam what? I just tell it how it is, and trying to help you. You sure the field is 100 yards? Based on your vids, I don't see you throwing those distances. If you don't want a critique, fine keep up the good work, you are awesome!

Slam what? I just tell it how it is, and trying to help you. You sure the field is 100 yards? Based on your vids, I don't see you throwing those distances. If you don't want a critique, fine keep up the good work, you are awesome!

I am pretty sure it's 120 yards, based that my pace is 36" and it's right at 120paces from end to end. Recently, my throws have been 3-5 paces from the end of the field.

I DO want a critique of my form. You said "...and get a new measuring device besides your johnson..." Where I took the video was NOT the football field I use, but the throws were typical to what I did earlier that day. I'll go out with you to a field any day and show you, if you don't believe these distances. These aren't internet message board distances.

I'm not one of these guys playing one year that needs his ego stroked. I've been playing 10 years and am looking for improved form after taking a 2 year break. I know enough to know when I need help. That's where I am now. What I have said previously in response was what I saw that is not on the video. I was trying to help in the analysis.

Paces aren't that accurate, and a 36" pace is fairly long. 120 paces for me is just under 300'. Maybe its not ego, but I don't think you have an accurate measure of your distances which look quite inflated compared to your form. It doesn't matter if you have been playing 10 years or 1 year, I've seen guys playing much longer with terrible form, and guys with 1 year better. I don't know why you get so defensive about your years of experience. Its harder to unlearn bad habits than learn from scratch.

I still say just show the disc flight, besides being able to tell more about your form, it'll end this whole distance thing.

Paces aren't that accurate, and a 36" pace is fairly long. 120 paces for me is just under 300'. Maybe its not ego, but I don't think you have an accurate measure of your distances which look quite inflated compared to your form. It doesn't matter if you have been playing 10 years or 1 year, I've seen guys playing much longer with terrible form, and guys with 1 year better. I don't know why you get so defensive about your years of experience. Its harder to unlearn bad habits than learn from scratch.

I know it sounds long, but trust me. My inseam is 34". I've checked and re-checked to verify. Also, why doubt the length of a regulation football field?

I'm not defensive about it--I'm trying to let you know that I do know what I'm talking about relative to certain things. I'm not saying I know it all by any means--Lord knows I have a long way to go. After that length of time playing and paying close attention to things, you learn.

Again, ask anyone on this board who has played with me and they'll tell you what I threw before I stopped and what I throw now. (I haven't played many rounds since I started back.) All I'm saying is trust me that the distances are accurate.

I still say just show the disc flight, besides being able to tell more about your form, it'll end this whole distance thing.

I can try, but the camera we have will probably not show the disc. The resolution isn't that great.

I'll give it a shot tonight if the wife is up to it. (She's almost 8 mos prego with a 19 month old...)

I've never seen an American football field that was off enough to matter for disc golf distances. There's no reason to think that this one would be.

I would be surprised that this standstill throw is going 360 ft. If you video from behind, as has been suggested we can get an idea of the flight path. That would help tremendously. Watch just about any of the better videos on youtube and you will see the camera angle that is best, from behind and at a slight angle so we can see the flight path as well as the flight of the disc. Watching the disc fly tells us just about as much as watching what your body is doing.

I would be surprised that this standstill throw is going 360 ft. If you video from behind, as has been suggested we can get an idea of the flight path. That would help tremendously. Watch just about any of the better videos on youtube and you will see the camera angle that is best, from behind and at a slight angle so we can see the flight path as well as the flight of the disc. Watching the disc fly tells us just about as much as watching what your body is doing.

The whole point of this film was NOT to judge distance, it was to watch form. These were not done on the football field that I normally practice on. But, having practiced with these discs earlier in the day and stepping it off after I threw them, they were within a few feet of 115 paces which is right at 340-350', as I said.

As I have said before, I know it doesn't look like the discs are going that far, but trust me, they are. I'm not here to try and boost my ego by inflated distances. I'm here to rebuild my throwing style to something more correct.

I've never seen an American football field that was off enough to matter for disc golf distances. There's no reason to think that this one would be.

80 yard fields are common in pop warner football. Practice fields are often 2/3 full length, and 75 yards.

This is definitely not that. If so, then why can I park a 360' hole at my local course?

I don't doubt you could monkey torque your Katana or Surge and park 360'. Also consider elevation. Tee or basket placement changed from tee sign. There are lots of holes that have incorrect distances. Many distances are including the fairway curves so its deceptive.

Football fields:

Duke also wants to lengthen its existing practice turf field. That outdoor facility is roughly two-thirds the length of a regulation football field. Also, a drainage problem at an existing grass practice field is expected to be addressed, and that grass field also may be lengthened.
http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2008/08/18/story11.html

This most current athletic facilities upgrade on the Idaho campus includes two 75-yard fields, plus a 10-yard wide "walkway" separating the 2 fields, all constructed of Sprinturf, an all-rubber infill, artificial grass system that looks, feels and plays like natural grass. The 75-yard length was chosen because it is long enough for the Vandal football and women's soccer teams to practice on, as well as for intramural competition, but short enough to have two fields in the space available. There will be one goal post on the south end of the south field and one on the north end of the north field, with the corners marked for soccer.
http://idaho.scout.com/2/384860.html

Pop Warner Football
http://www.eteamz.com/HOAPW/divisions/

The size of the playing field is often smaller in nine-man football than in eleven-man. Some states opt for a smaller, 80 yards long by 40 yards wide field (which is also used in eight-man and six-man)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-man_football

Really? Is this pertinent at all? If you have nothing else to say about my form, please do not post here. Thank you. It's getting quite tiring.

And please stop with the "monkey torquing" and crap like that. Until you know my game and how I throw on the course, don't judge. It just makes you look like that much more of a fool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts