• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most difficult type of hole for YOU

jeremyhilss

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
So while playing today, I got to thinking about what kind of hole is the most difficult for me to execute, and I started wondering, what's the hardest for others?

Mine is definitely like this - 300 feet, first 100 is open, then the last 250 is wooded, all while gradually bending left to right, so an anhyzer for a RHBH shot. Btw my flicks suck :p For some reason psychologically, I can play the same hole waaaayyyy better if the whole thing is wooded.

So what are your guys toughest kind of hole?

Similar holes for me, wide open at first going into a tunnel that turns. I've learned to play these for par and simply try to throw a putter up to the mouth of the tunnel and then approach to the basket. For sure don't want to throw deep in the trees for a 4 or 5.

Super long wooded holes with no clear line.

They make me want to die.

I'd probably say tight tunnel holes. I throw a little bit of everything, bh, fh, overhand, rollers and try to play the hyzer whenever possible but tight and straight gives me problems.

I'd probably say tight tunnel holes. I throw a little bit of everything, bh, fh, overhand, rollers and try to play the hyzer whenever possible but tight and straight gives me problems.

Same for me. Especially if the ceiling is restricted as well.

the wide open 500' hole, because i'll probably strong arm my drive trying to bite off more than i can chew from the box. now i'm 225' out after a 275' drive. the pressure is now on to be accurate, which i should be in the wide open, but i'll probably end up on the edge of the circle or 20' at best after the upshot. now i have a tester for par...

my max distance is around 325 and i'm probably 50/50 at best from over 20' so this kind of hole is totally just about execution. it's the hardest not because i can't do it, but because i can but won't almost half the time just from simple mistakes or bad mental game.

either that or a left to right hole with a low ceiling that i have to flick. my FH sucks

Long water carries.

the wide open 500' hole, because i'll probably strong arm my drive trying to bite off more than i can chew from the box. now i'm 225' out after a 275' drive. the pressure is now on to be accurate, which i should be in the wide open, but i'll probably end up on the edge of the circle or 20' at best after the upshot. now i have a tester for par...

my max distance is around 325 and i'm probably 50/50 at best from over 20' so this kind of hole is totally just about execution. it's the hardest not because i can't do it, but because i can but won't almost half the time just from simple mistakes or bad mental game.

either that or a left to right hole with a low ceiling that i have to flick. my FH sucks
^^^Holy cow, its like I wrote this...^^^
Exactly this

flightpath
Shaping fairways in the wood, like a turnover that stables up and fades

^^This.

Last edited:
Something with really bad danger/OB on the right. I get so many releases way to the left when I have that staring me in the face.

I know all I need to do is put a Firebird out there and let it come back in bounds, but something in my subconscious just makes me release like 20 degrees left of my intended line. Then instead of being OB right, I'm buried off on the left or way short.

Same for me. Especially if the ceiling is restricted as well.

Low ceilings are my enemy.

Yeah, I think I'm here too. I think I can make these shots, but one of two things gets me every time: 1) I throw too high or low, ending up in the ceiling or in the dirt, or 2) I throw directly into one of the tree trunks supporting the annoying canopy. In other words, I miss my line vertically or horizontally... Hmmm... why did I pick this sport? I need to either get better at longer straight shots, or maybe even pick up a roller game.

Long water carries.

I hate these too. Even though I trust myself to make the shot 66% of the time, it's not worth the risk of losing a disc. I either throw a disc I wouldn't mind losing or pick a "safe" line around the water that will reduce the risk.

Steep uphill with a late right turn.

I don't have a long FH, so I have to rely on crushing something flippy and hoping it holds the turn without burning on me.

Holes that force you ~350 and finish to the right.

I tend to lose it way right and 300' or throw a 350' S shot off target. My my forehand lacks power, so I have to get that Anny just right...

Latest posts