• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most difficult type of hole for YOU

Long - Wide open (not a tree in sight) and throw in some wind. A big weakness is that I can not visualize lines in an open field - I need reference points.

hmmm... unfortunately, water holes tend to mess with me...

Holes that are short, straight, and have a low ceiling are the ones that I lose strokes to the field on.

RE Open field shots. Throwing upshots on wide open holes is more difficult than throwing the same shot in a lightly wooded area. It's a depth perception thing
Similarly, shooting % in NCAA basketball games goes down in games held in large cavernous arenas, rather than traditional 5,000 - 20,000 seat fieldhouses.

#2 Milo. 1200', with staggered walls of trees every 80 yards. Par 5 , I've managed to bogey it once. Last week, an 8. In the short pin position (1126'---pfffht, an easy 4). Convinced it's mental, as the gaps in the tree barriers are x-large for lane driving.

Last edited:
the wide open 500' hole, because i'll probably strong arm my drive trying to bite off more than i can chew from the box. now i'm 225' out after a 275' drive. the pressure is now on to be accurate, which i should be in the wide open, but i'll probably end up on the edge of the circle or 20' at best after the upshot. now i have a tester for par...

my max distance is around 325 and i'm probably 50/50 at best from over 20' so this kind of hole is totally just about execution. it's the hardest not because i can't do it, but because i can but won't almost half the time just from simple mistakes or bad mental game.

either that or a left to right hole with a low ceiling that i have to flick. my FH sucks

When I finally learned how to sidearm, the wide open 500ft hole wasn't difficult anymore (even with wind).

I'll purposely throw a fairway driver at it now get about 290-330ft, then I'll sidearm a firebird at the pin. It's not really a huge spike hyzer but a flex where you release with a slight anny 10-15ft away and have it hyzer in.

Before I could sidearm though, that shot (200ish putter backhand) was always so touchy and left me often with irritating long 30ish foot putts (often two putted :mad: :wall: ).

So if I'm 150-250ft out and in the open and I'm feeling iffy about the putter (wind, nervous, etc) I have no shame in sidearming at firebird into easy putt range.

The most difficult hole for me is the long 300-350ft+ tunnel that has a guarded green (with trees). I often gamble and try to throw right at pin for birdie and end up spraying, and having to scramble just to save a 3 or just settle for 4, when I think about just throwing straight I land short of the guarded green and then start letting the "if you don't hit the gap it's a bogey" negative thoughts infect my throw (where I immediately hit a guardian tree and bogey :eek:

open holes around 350 to 400 feet. too far for me to have a chance at birdie but not so far that a lot of other players can get close to the basket

Downhill low ceiling tunnel shots.

Death putts with water or major drops close.

Narrow, uphill shots in the woods. I've got a hole like this that has been giving me trouble for years. It requires a slight anhyzer BH that you need to push uphill that will punish you if you go left or right in the woods. If you succeed getting on top of this hole and in the middle of fairway, you have an awkward, narrow second shot for a putt-3.

This worst for me is a hole that runs parallel to a busy road.

I'm scared of landing on the street so I end up throwing towards the opposite edge of the fairway and ending up with a bad lie.

Used to be the big bomber holes that if I went more than 80 percent I could get close and with a nice putt score a deuce.

Now, it could be all kinds of things.

The kind where bystanders are around. I worry about drilling someone. Know I can yell fore or heads up but I'd rather not give someone a scare. And if they are no dg people they may not even know what I'm yelling about. So yea, any time someone is around where I know an errant shot may go I try and wait until they leave or just play it ultra safe. I'd rather be safe than sorry, but know I should have more confidence in myself. Plus, whenever someone is around I'm thinking more about that than my shot and its bound to be messed up. This will be easier to manage the more I play, but for now that's my answer.

Narrow wooded fairways that turn to the left, either uphill or because of some obstruction, require an upwards left curving throw. Bane for my LHBH dominant game...

Hole 4 on a local course gets me every time...

Tee shot (aiming for the gap in the treeline):
40670345.jpg

Once you get to that gap:
3bdeb8de.jpg

Basket:
0a3523d5.jpg

I have resorted to just throwing a series of controlled putter shots, playing for par every time. I have never been able to birdie this one.

Latest posts