• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Discs Lost in Shortest Time Span

This doesn't qualify as lost but still a funny story. I threw a nice pearly orc up into the top of a nasty oak tree. I threw my putter to get it down...it got stuck...then my backup putter...it got stuck...well, 5 more discs, my child's car seat, my disc golf bag and a tire iron later and everything I just listed in this post was all up in the tree. Finally I climbed the tree and got everything down except the first disc...which was later returned to me. Very frustrating and I had to be somewhere in 10 minutes and had people waiting on me!

I have a friend who had his bag (25 discs) stolen the day before an A-tier, when he set it down on a tee pad and walked ~30' to chat with a couple of friends on a parallel fairway), so you could say he qualifies, but I suspect the record for most competitively thrown discs lost in the shortest time span belongs to a pro from GA (who will remain nameless to protect the guilty) who emptied his entire bag (which included a lot of tasty CE, including Firebirds and 2nd run Valks) plus two borrowed discs in the drink: 17 in all, on a single hole (#10) at the inaugural Buckhorn Open.

To his credit, he finished the round using borrowed discs.

(In his defense, the wind was howling: 20-25 mph headwind with gusts into the 40s; and the rule was mandatory re-tee if you didn't make land on the other side of the cove.)

My personal "best" is I put 5 in a row into the pond @ 9 Scrapyard here in Charlotte. Casual round, and I recovered 2 that were barely in the water. So 3 on one hole. Carded a 12 on it. (The last tee shot hit dry and rolled back in, so I dropped then 2 putted from there.)

LOL, the scorecard app I was using then could only take single digits/hole, so I had to score it a 9, and added 3 to the #8 score.

My buddy put twelve discs(almost his whole bag)in the water when we were at Maple Hill. He promptly went to Marshall St. after the round and spent a couple hundred bucks on new plastic.

I have a friend who had his bag (25 discs) stolen the day before an A-tier, when he set it down on a tee pad and walked ~30' to chat with a couple of friends on a parallel fairway), so you could say he qualifies, but I suspect the record for most competitively thrown discs lost in the shortest time span belongs to a pro from GA (who will remain nameless to protect the guilty) who emptied his entire bag (which included a lot of tasty CE, including Firebirds and 2nd run Valks) plus two borrowed discs in the drink: 17 in all, on a single hole (#10) at the inaugural Buckhorn Open.

To his credit, he finished the round using borrowed discs.

(In his defense, the wind was howling: 20-25 mph headwind with gusts into the 40s; and the rule was mandatory re-tee if you didn't make land on the other side of the cove.)

i was playing with him when it occurred and loaned him some of the borrowed plastic. they weren''t all on one hole.

I took two first-timers, and my fiance, to a new course I had never played before last weekend. It's a 12 hole course, and between all of us we lost 8 discs in 12 holes.
Two newbs lost everything but their putters, fiance lost 2, and I lost 1. It is the thickest, most ridiculous grass/weed rough I have ever seen.
If I would have had any idea it was that bad, I never would have taken those three there.

I've lost one disc in a year and a half of playing, I don't leave until I find them. In turn I have found well over 100 discs in that time span, probably 80% without ink.

This doesn't qualify as lost but still a funny story. I threw a nice pearly orc up into the top of a nasty oak tree. I threw my putter to get it down...it got stuck...then my backup putter...it got stuck...well, 5 more discs, my child's car seat, my disc golf bag and a tire iron later and everything I just listed in this post was all up in the tree. Finally I climbed the tree and got everything down except the first disc...which was later returned to me. Very frustrating and I had to be somewhere in 10 minutes and had people waiting on me!

:clap:

This thread makes me feel better about my apparently paltry losses.

I've twice been involved in having 2 discs lost in a matter of seconds.

The first time I lost two of my discs without even throwing either. I was playing Trophy Lakes in Charleston, SC (John's Island) the day before my wedding in 2007. For those that don't know, this course has water come into play on 10 of the 18 holes. I was playing with a group of guys, including my brother, who was throwing some of my discs, when he went in the lake on #8. Out of frustration, he picked up another disc right away, and tried to clear the water again. Splash. Another one right into the water. The moral is that it's easier to throw a disc in frustration when it's not your own.

The second occurrence was hole #1 at Roane County Park in Tennessee, about 30 minutes west of Knoxville. The holes is 335, with probably the first 275 - 300 over water. A buddy and I were playing there. It being the first hole of the round, and our first time playing the course, neither had warmed up our arms nor knew the best way to play the hole. I throw first, into a headwind, and end up in the water, about 20 feet short. My buddy follows me, and does the exact same thing. We were on a disc golf trip to the area, and had 4 courses to play that day, so neither of us was willing to jump in the lake in hopes of finding our plastic.

The Oregon Disc Golf Championship* a few years ago I was playing with a 990ish player who lost 11 discs in one round.

Same tournament, I've watched people "tin-cup" on certain holes and lose as many as 5 discs on from one lie multiple times throughout the years.

We did some speculative math one year and figured that there were about 300-400 lost discs for 72 players over the course of 3 rounds.

*similar Trojan layout that is being used at Worlds

I lost two discs on #2 [pond hole]at Dabney one day, because I was sure there was no way I was gonna hit the tree and careen into the water a 2nd time. :\

But I had a buddy who was playing a tourney in NC, where he crouched down to retrieve his drive from the edge of a deep lake. His heel tipped his bag up, and all 15 discs rolled out of his bag, plopped into the lake, and sank out of sight.
He finished with one driver and a putter, but the TD took pity and gave him a half-dozen new discs.

This almost happened to me one time, couldn't imagine what it feels like to actually lose all your discs like that.

Tin Cup'd a hole in New Orleans during a tournament. 4 shots in a row went into the drink. I believe I eventually got 2 or 3 of them back.

West Lake in Davenport IA -- That course eats discs like crazy. I've lost 4 in one day, and several times I've lost 2 on consecutive throws from the same lie. Lots of water hazards with tricky landing zones, and it tends to have some swirling winds. Many of the spots where discs tend to get wet also slope off steeply underwater, so even if you land near the shore you might never see it because it can slide right on down into the murky depths. Forget going in after it, no swimming allowed and tickets are given to people caught in the water.

I was in a tournament at the Valley about a month ago when we had all those rain storms and lost 3 on hole 11, the water was terrible.

I mentioned it in another thread - my son and I lost 4 discs in one round at the Valley last weekend, including 3 on hole 11 over the water. Both our tee shots went in the drink, then he played a shot later on the same hole that went into a swampy area. I lost another one on the next hole.

This after a weeklong roadtrip over 4 states and 10 courses where we lost only 1.

playing highbridge bear course for the first time ever when not mowed over took almost all my drivers I had in the bag after 15 holes. easily 3 discs an hour lol.

See, I think if I arrived at a course like that, I'd probably just turn around and leave. A course in that bad of condition isn't worth it to me.

Back to back throws hit the same branch on a tree and went into the foul smelling water at the Fairborn Handyman course. I didn't throw a third.

Lost 3 in one day the day before my wedding. I'll never forget it (losing the discs that is...wedding was nice too!). Forked Run State Park in Ohio was a jungle. First was my perfectly seasoned blue champ orc deep in the brush. Then my OOP dx goblin (driving putter) deep in a poison ivy patch. Finally was my also nicely seasoned star teebird. I did get the teebird back two years later so that was nice!

Latest posts