• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Exhausting Courses....

prettyboyfloyd

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Just played Whistler's Bend http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2002 for the first time this weekend over three day camping trip. Granted it was really hot (85 - 100 F), but after two rounds here I found myself completely wiped. Playing a late round in the afternoon was a real challenge and affected my game immensely.

My home courses are no where near as hilly as WB, but I've played some three round days (in similar heat) and haven't been anywhere near as drained. The one thing about WB is that it always seems you're walking uphill, which makes it the awesome course that it is.

So what are the most exhausting courses to get around in terms of the hike?

Ashe County, Bear Tree Cabin and the longs at Stumpy Creek come to mind. Playing Renny Gold this time of year is a real beast too.

Playing Renny Gold this time of year is a real beast too.
^Agreed. Renny Gold's a bear for sure. Different courses can take their toll in different ways: Extreme elevation, lots of long holes, extremely challenging and unforgiving, can be brutally hot, or just a mental beat-down.

Haven't played any on ski slopes, like Hickory Hills , but I imagine they can be quite exhausting.

Of those I've played, these stick out:

Idlewild: pretty much wore me out in a well balanced fashion, beat me up a little in every way on a 100 degree day.

Toboggan: not quite a ski slope, but not too far from that. After all, it is on a toboggan run: combo of brutal rough and hard to find shade for stretches can really take a toll over and 8800' of serious and continuous elevation changes.

Ponds of Lakeshore: not a demanding course... except when you make the mistake of playing the 4th of July in 97 degree heat on a course that has no shade. :eek:

Nevin: If the finnesse game is not your idea of fun, this could be one of the longest, least enjoyable rounds you play.

The most physically demanding course I have played is one in development for this year's South Dakota State Championships. It is extremely hilly where sometimes you will be walking straight up a severe vertical incline. This did however provide for a lot of really cool shots, especially the one from the trees out into the field on the 777' hole.

Wayne near Drumheller Alberta

the Lost Egg Tournament was this past weekend (this weekend every year for the last 12 years)

it is in 'badlands"
the brush is thick and scratchy
there are nasty little cactii
the hills are steep
the terrain rough
and no shade

it is usually 35+ Celcius (95+F)

the 2 rounds on Saturday started with a 9:30 players meeting, 10 tee off, my group got off the course at about 7:15
there was about a 1.5 lunch break

it absolutely takes it out of you
the 2 days of the tournament are an exercise in endurance, battling the terrain and elements (heat and wind), and keeping concentration

Tough Walks

Ashe County, Bear Tree Cabin and the longs at Stumpy Creek come to mind. Playing Renny Gold this time of year is a real beast too.

Amen to Stumpy Longs. Go out there on a 90+ degree day, you have to use algorithms to figure out how much water you'll need vs what you can carry. I swear that the overall eleveation change (up and down) there is worse than, say Richmond Hill.

Renny Gold, too. Just getting steady footing on the greens will wear you down.

I would include RL Smith (Charlotte) here as well, but I played there Friday, and they've done an amazing job out there easing up the walk. Deck on #12 is practically a hazard, it was so nice I didn't want to leave without throwing a bar-b-q.

That course on Mars Hill campus up N of Asheville will break your spirit.

One of the longest walks w/r/t distance I've seen? Victor Ashe in Knoxville. Not real hilly, but several super-long transitions. Ditto the one near-by in Oak Ridge, used to be a 9 hole Ball golf course. Hot days out there are exhausting, partially because from the blue tees, there are 500 foot par 3s.

Flattest course to wear one out? Trophy Lakes, near Charleston. Long layout. Lot's of walking, little shade. I usually play the blues and reds, since it's $5 to play all day, and then I usually need to collapse.

Idlewild & Renny wear on you both physically and mentally... leaving you completely wiped after a round

Jim Warner Memorial @ the IDGC is one of the most taxing courses on your body, especially the back 9. I would say you play with 100' of elevation on holes 10-15 going up or down on each hole. The knees usually cannot take more than a couple rounds here during a weekend stay.

Flyboy is quite a hike. It's both long and hilly. I've only played it in the Spring, so I can only imagine what it's like this time of year with the heat and the humidity dialled up.

W.R. Jackson is the one the kills me. Length x elevation x far too many throws = a grueling round.

I love it.

another vote for Renny Gold and stumpy Creek. Other ones that stick out are RL smith(Especially during the 21 hole salute) and Fox Chase DGC. It is a major hike and from the longs it can be grueling.

Zephyr Cove was a pretty challenging round. I played it after a long road trip, so I was already tired before the round, but it still kicked me.

Deven's Hill was fairly strenous, and also incredibly fun.

Kirkland Mtn Resort plays mostly uphill with maybe only 3/4 downhill holes.

Exhausting in the right way: Phantom Falls. Goregeous scenery, fun hikes, lots of hills and challenging shots that punish you for mistakes (I landed an Ace Race disc on the highway)

Exhausting in the WRONG way: Cumberland Green in Fountain, CO. Totally flat and arid with not a sprig of shade in sight. It's a true begginer course, but you rarely see begginers on it because it gets up to well over 100 degrees this time of year (my daughter can throw about six holes before she's tapped out.) I play it because it's close, but it can get pretty brutal...not really worth it for the level of play.

Most exhausting courses I have played so far...in no particular order....

DeLaveaga
Stafford Lake
Coyote Point DGC
Water Works
Skyline Wilderness

Justin Trails Big Brother. They should call it the Big Mother. I started half the holes and a few putts by taking a seat on my stool for a few minutes to catch my breath. I would've surrendered half way through if I could've, but it was just as much walk to play. I've never been so happy to finish a round. Great course, but never again. At least not all at once, or not without an ATV.

I talked to a guy that camped there and he said their group's strategy was to play a few on Little Brother, then a few on Big each round. Taking all of Big Brother at once was just too much.

I've done a couple day trips that may qualify. We started on fox Chase long, then did hornet's nest regular layout, then renny gold then winthrop gold with the ropes up. We have also done the idgc in one day.