• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Most hated disc ever...other than the Groove

Wave

I'm sorry, but I have to bring this hunk of junk up again. The Wave simply isn't a good disc. I threw another one yesterday (probably my 6th one). This was a lake find. Beautiful condition. I had it in the field against some other drivers.

The thing simply doesn't fly. Its too flippy to really lean on. I had to put a LOT of hyzer on the Wave to keep it from corkscrewing over. I think out of about 25 throws I had one legitimately good one. All the rest were somewhat to very flipped over. I wasn't able to get any sort of gentle S curve out of the Wave. As soon as it started flipping, it stayed there for the whole flight. The disc would drift right with absolutely zero late fade.

I hate this mold, and I feel it flies like a much crappier version of the Tern. Its like the Wave wants to be a long disc, but is too flippy to be thrown hard. Every once in a blue moon I'll hit the Wave just right and it'll be a legitimately good looking shot. Then I'll mess it up 10 times in a row and remember why I don't like the mold.

I can think of no less than 15 similar molds that fly 100X better than the Wave.

I'm sorry, but I have to bring this hunk of junk up again. The Wave simply isn't a good disc. I threw another one yesterday (probably my 6th one). This was a lake find. Beautiful condition. I had it in the field against some other drivers.

The thing simply doesn't fly. Its too flippy to really lean on. I had to put a LOT of hyzer on the Wave to keep it from corkscrewing over. I think out of about 25 throws I had one legitimately good one. All the rest were somewhat to very flipped over. I wasn't able to get any sort of gentle S curve out of the Wave. As soon as it started flipping, it stayed there for the whole flight. The disc would drift right with absolutely zero late fade.

I hate this mold, and I feel it flies like a much crappier version of the Tern. Its like the Wave wants to be a long disc, but is too flippy to be thrown hard. Every once in a blue moon I'll hit the Wave just right and it'll be a legitimately good looking shot. Then I'll mess it up 10 times in a row and remember why I don't like the mold.

I can think of no less than 15 similar molds that fly 100X better than the Wave.

Wave is an MVP disc right?

Wahoo, Everyone hates the Wahoo and only use it due for others (not me) being a better water floating disc then the odd R-Pro style DX Dragon. I think that is due to the 6 Glide on such a fast driver, the mold is in a Stiff R-Pro so one good hit to a tree and the mold flies so US the mold wants to fade way off to the right and never return.

This has got to be a hated disc for one reason or another be it the plastic, even the limited run Blizzard Champion is hot garbage not lasting due to being in current Blizzard plastic or the glide number on such a fast disc if they actually do not mind an usually stiffer R-Pro for a driver disc.

I can't stand the Innova Roc in any type plastic. Maybe if I played with it first, however someone gave me a Discraft Buzzz in 2009 and then now I only shoot Dynamic Disc Truth's.

I can't stand the Innova Roc in any type plastic. Maybe if I played with it first, however someone gave me a Discraft Buzzz in 2009 and then now I only shoot Dynamic Disc Truth's.

Yeah I feel like the Roc is just one of those discs that you either love it or hate it. I love it. I also love the Buzzz and Emac. all are great mid ranges.

I never liked Rocs until I tried a champion Roc3. I'm not a fan of the bead on Rocs. I just found the Roc3 more dependable than the Buzzz. Once you get used to throwing it you forget about the bead altogether.

I like flat mids too. I won't throw a domey Roc, and I fully agree they feel like crap in your hand. The Roc3 is probably the only variety I'll even mess with.

It's a great driver for people with lower arm speed, but no it certainly is not intended for someone like you who can consistently rip it 400'+. It is one of my personal top three driver molds but again I'm a guy who most days tops out at 350'. Also, it really is a disc that flies much better in Plasma than the other plastic offerings due to the extra dome that Plasma has.

Despite loving the Wave I'm not carrying it currently. My most worked in Trespass has beat into Wave-like stability, so the Wave is out of the bag for now. But if I ever lose that Trespass then I'd be perfectly fine tossing the Plasma Wave back in. It finished straight for me at my arm speed. Basically flies a 11/5/-2/2.

Any MVP/Axiom drivers
Theory mid
Blowfly
Archon
Manta
Wombat3
Lycan
Dominator
Teedevil
Monarch
Coyote
Aftershock
Wolf
Stratus
Magnet
Freedom
Rask
D5
Unlace
Hatchet
Warrant
Anything Lightning I've tried
Anything Quest I've tried

Any MVP/Axiom drivers
Theory mid
Blowfly
Archon
Manta
Wombat3
Lycan
Dominator
Teedevil
Monarch
Coyote
Aftershock
Wolf
Stratus
Magnet
Freedom
Rask
D5
Unlace
Hatchet
Warrant
That's a lot of hate there. :eek:

I didn't want to leave any out so I went through the charts and picked every disc I really didn't like.

If I am being real picky I only have maybe 4-5 actual discs (not molds) I really like.Lots of it comes down to the right plastic blend, grip, stiffness, flight, feel, etc. I have probably 60-70 midranges for instance, but I really don't like any of them.I guess I can find faults in all of them.

I didn't want to leave any out so I went through the charts and picked every disc I really didn't like.

If I am being real picky I only have maybe 4-5 actual discs (not molds) I really like.Lots of it comes down to the right plastic blend, grip, stiffness, flight, feel, etc. I have probably 60-70 midranges for instance, but I really don't like any of them.I guess I can find faults in all of them.

But how do you feel about the Groove?

But how do you feel about the Groove?

I've found a couple and traded them in to Play it again (no ink of course I'm not a jackass). Horrible discs. Felt horrible, flew horrid.

I was reading through this thread and I forgot the Discraft Spectra. That clunky turd of a disc is in my top 5 worst ever. I think it had a bead and was suppose to be speed 11 or something. Throw it in the trash.

I've found a couple and traded them in to Play it again (no ink of course I'm not a jackass). Horrible discs. Felt horrible, flew horrid.

I was reading through this thread and I forgot the Discraft Spectra. That clunky turd of a disc is in my top 5 worst ever. I think it had a bead and was suppose to be speed 11 or something. Throw it in the trash.

You have suffered greatly, may your future DG adventures be more enjoyable..

Any MVP/Axiom drivers
Theory mid
Blowfly
Archon
Manta
Wombat3
Lycan
Dominator
Teedevil
Monarch
Coyote
Aftershock
Wolf
Stratus
Magnet
Freedom
Rask
D5
Unlace
Hatchet
Warrant

I'm worried about you OMD. Do you have a happy place?

Any MVP/Axiom drivers
Theory mid
Blowfly
Archon
Manta
Wombat3
Lycan
Dominator
Teedevil
Monarch
Coyote
Aftershock
Wolf
Stratus
Magnet
Freedom
Rask
D5
Unlace
Hatchet
Warrant

I could play with only those discs and still shoot close to my average.

I can understand not liking discs because they don't work with your bag as well as other discs or don't work with your power. But to hate that many discs seems silly to me.

Any MVP/Axiom drivers
Theory mid
Blowfly
Archon
Manta
Wombat3
Lycan
Dominator
Teedevil
Monarch
Coyote
Aftershock
Wolf
Stratus
Magnet
Freedom
Rask
D5
Unlace
Hatchet
Warrant

Yeah, I've thrown most of these. Plenty of good plastic there.... I understand how one could hate the Blowfly (more for me!), or the Rask with that weird protruding step on the underside....but how do you hate a Coyote?

Latest posts