• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Most overstable driver you've ever thrown

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
What is it? I think I found mine today. A flat Nuke OS. No dome at all. Fished it out of a lake earlier this year.

Just looking at the disc I had some inkling it would be pretty overstable. Usually Nuke OSs have some dome though. This one is literally board flat.

Wow. Even out of the hand it shoots left and flies like a brick. No distance to speak of and zero glide. I'm even used to throwing overstable discs, but this one is on a whole other level. Its so glideless and short I couldn't even find a spot for it in the bag.

Anyone else have any real glideless clunkers? This disc was practically useless.

FH flex shots, get out of jail shots. That's what that is for haha
I threw a buddy's D1 one day that he said he thought was a little on the beefy side. That thing was like a freakin X1.5, I have never thrown something that overstable in my life. With 400 feet of power it went maybe 250 tops.

What is it? I think I found mine today. A flat Nuke OS. No dome at all. Fished it out of a lake earlier this year.

Just looking at the disc I had some inkling it would be pretty overstable. Usually Nuke OSs have some dome though. This one is literally board flat.

Wow. Even out of the hand it shoots left and flies like a brick. No distance to speak of and zero glide. I'm even used to throwing overstable discs, but this one is on a whole other level. Its so glideless and short I couldn't even find a spot for it in the bag.

Anyone else have any real glideless clunkers? This disc was practically useless.
Have you thrown it overhand?

Discs that come to mind (that I've thrown):

Bubble rimmed C-PD2's (2nd runs I think)
A freak S-DD2
Early runs of Opto XXX
Stiletto
750 X1 (400 series was much less stable)

If you're talking drivers, I'd say my FAF Glow Champ Firebird. The Opto Missilen (which I found on the course) is also really beefy.

For any disc, my TP Harp has turned out to be a brick. I threw it and it was going straight then suddenly was at a 45 degree angle, still going forward, but just banked like an airplane. Then it went for the ground. Though the numbers are 4,3,0,3; the Harp is more of an overstable brick than the Champ Rhyno (2,1,0,3) I just acquired, much less my Star Gator (5,2,0,3). That's right, I am getting more glide and distance out of a Rhyno than a Harp, go figure...

FH flex shots, get out of jail shots. That's what that is for haha
I threw a buddy's D1 one day that he said he thought was a little on the beefy side. That thing was like a freakin X1.5, I have never thrown something that overstable in my life. With 400 feet of power it went maybe 250 tops.

I cranked on this Nuke OS hard a couple times and probably didn't get it 250'. I also throw an Xcaliber and a Flick, so I'm used to throwing beefy stuff.

This Nuke OS was WAAYYY more overstable than either of them. Threw it once forehand and it crashed and burned right. Its un-flex-able.

If you're talking drivers, I'd say my FAF Glow Champ Firebird. The Opto Missilen (which I found on the course) is also really beefy.

For any disc, my TP Harp has turned out to be a brick. I threw it and it was going straight then suddenly was at a 45 degree angle, still going forward, but just banked like an airplane. Then it went for the ground. Though the numbers are 4,3,0,3; the Harp is more of an overstable brick than the Champ Rhyno (2,1,0,3) I just acquired, much less my Star Gator (5,2,0,3). That's right, I am getting more glide and distance out of a Rhyno than a Harp, go figure...

I sometimes like a good, beefy mid. I put a L64 Pain in the bag. Great, great disc. Overstable, but still has glide and gets some distance. It booted my Z Wasp out. Wasp was a bit prone to flipping for whatever reason.

Couldn't help but prerube a bit. Here's another similar thread with a poll.

I voted Nuke OS back then, and it's still my answer, though I haven't tried some others. I have a decent forehand and overhand, but it's still too much meat for those uses unless there's a crazy headwind. I wouldn't call it glideless, but it fades hard.

As far as other overstable discs go, the Cryztal FLX Trackers (someone called them "FireTrackers") are ridiculously overstable. Maybe more than a Nuke OS, though lower speed so hard to compare...

Last edited:
Here's a thread for those overstable Trackers. I've found a use for the flat, meathook Nuke OS, but I still haven't found a place in my game for this thing. Maybe forehand rollers, but it's not a big part of my game.

I sometimes like a good, beefy mid. I put a L64 Pain in the bag. Great, great disc. Overstable, but still has glide and gets some distance. It booted my Z Wasp out. Wasp was a bit prone to flipping for whatever reason.

I haven't tried a Pain. My mid that is OS but with some glide is the (Green) Hornet. Really nice disc, but not a pure beef brick...

I have done extensive research on the subject and there are a few that stand above the rest.

Flat top Spirits I believe are the most easily obtainable disc in the category.

First run K1 Rask.

First Run Flat Top Opto Stiletto.

The Phase, FAF Firebird, puddle top frost XXX belong in the conversation but aren't quite there IMO.

for me it was the FAF glow firebird, i got rid of it because it wouldnt go anywhere but down, it was like throwing a manhole cover for me.
now i bag a XXX instead