• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most stressful throw

m1shootr

Bogey Member
As a follow up thread to "Shoulder pain" what throw would you consider to be the most physically demanding on your body? Backhand, forehand, overhand or any thing else. Also, what other common ailments lurk for disc golfers? Avoiding injury in our sport posted by an authority on the matter could be sticky material. Thanks.

Probably any kind of throw done badly is going to abuse your body in some way, but for me it's anything overhand (old shoulder injury) and I throw overhand sparingly as a get out of trouble short range shot only..

I stay away from any throw that puts excessive stress on my shoulder. Overhands, thumbers, tomahawks, hammers, whatever you wanna call em, I stay away from em. I also stay away from anny bombs. Throwing with extreme anhyzer backhand is just as bad in my particular case.

How do we separate out the damage from throwing discs, from the pre-existing damage from other activities?

I start with a shoulder worn out from age and throwing baseballs, so overhand throws are the most perilous.

After that, the distinction between forehand and backhand depends on which of my knees is in the worst condition on that particular day.

Overhand, followed by forehand would be the most strenuous on the body. If done with sound mechanics, backhand should not put much toll on anything in your shoulder or arm. The worse I've gotten from throwing backhand was blisters here and there. It is possible to put stress on your legs, hips and ankles if you don't warm up before throwing or have really herky jerky mechanics.

Like almost all of the posts so far, I have an old rotator cuff injury, from ball golf of all things, club hit the ground, ground did not give, club did not give, rotator cuff did. I can not throw a baseball or a football, very far at all

I will only use a tomahawk as a last resort, and then I take it real easy, half power or less.

Forehand and backhand shots do not bother me at all.

I read this differently, but i'll respond to the OP and my way of reading it. Anything OH is most stressful since I don't use it often...its never warmed up properly for a mid round usage. And how I read your post...headwind over water/cliff/OB with the safe landing area at my max distance.

Power rollers.

The angle at which you have to get the disc down at and plating your foot in the ground is a bad combination for hips/back. My foot got 'stuck' throwing a power roller years ago (didn't pivot the way it should have) and I've not been the same since.

For me, the 100 foot upshot. For some reason I get more nerves on this shot then I do on a circle putt.

OH's. It hurts just to think about them. I messed up my shoulder as a younger man diving for batted balls in the outfield, and now I can't even do the monkey bars because of it. I'll throw them very occasionally, but it's shorter range, and only if there's absolutely no other option.

. If done with sound mechanics, backhand should not put much toll on anything in your shoulder or arm. The worse I've gotten from throwing backhand was blisters here and there. It is possible to put stress on your legs, hips and ankles if you don't warm up before throwing or have really herky jerky mechanics.

I do everything with poor form and mechanics, so I can judge the damage equally.

In 2002, I tore my labrum throwing exclusively backhand. How bad my form was then, I can't say. Though I blame it on undetected damage from the millions of baseballs I had thrown in decades prior.

Though I do suspect that the backhand follow-through stresses the front of the shoulder, to an unnatural degree, since it's a motion evolution never anticipated.

I do everything with poor form and mechanics, so I can judge the damage equally.

In 2002, I tore my labrum throwing exclusively backhand. How bad my form was then, I can't say. Though I blame it on undetected damage from the millions of baseballs I had thrown in decades prior.

Though I do suspect that the backhand follow-through stresses the front of the shoulder, to an unnatural degree, since it's a motion evolution never anticipated.

Interesting. It's definitely worth noting I threw right handed when I played baseball but now throw LHBH for disc golf, so I am throwing discs with a shoulder and arm unaffected by throwing baseballs. I imagine having a shoulder worn down by years of baseball would not be a fan of the backhand throw.

I'll mirror the Rotator cuff/OH/FH malady. Although I can throw them (poorly) for short distances.

The most sphincter-clenching shot for me is the 15' headwind putt :\

Throwing FH at a steep upward angle can hurt my back and my throwing arm. Fortunately it's not too often that I have to throw that harsh of an uphill shot.

Also, anything with sketchy footing/run up is just asking for trouble. If the footwork and timing are off, it's easy to botch your form and put stress on the body in unintended and unpracticed ways. There's also the risk of injury from things that aren't directly related to the throwing motion (rolling an ankle, tripping and falling off a cliff, etc.)

Uphill step out backhand with a tree in your back swing. Have to throw from odd position, hard, but then stop your follow through quickly. Recipe for disaster.

Thumbers for me. Tomahawks don't hurt but thumbers kill my shoulder. I only try them if it's the only line I have to get out of trouble

Interesting. It's definitely worth noting I threw right handed when I played baseball but now throw LHBH for disc golf, so I am throwing discs with a shoulder and arm unaffected by throwing baseballs. I imagine having a shoulder worn down by years of baseball would not be a fan of the backhand throw.

I was a Little League coach, not a player, and there's no pitch count on coaches. I calculated that I was throwing about 1,000 pitches a week and,especially as I got older, most at full speed, or what I had left of it. Plus all of the other throws (and I would throw fly balls, rather than hit them, just to add to the damage).

My surgeon told me, "Your arm evolved to throw a spear once a week."

Any sort of overhand shot is dicey for me.