• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most underrated courses out there

BigAl724

Par Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
What are some hidden gems out there? Either courses that it seem like everyone forgets about when discussing the great ones, or a course that you feel is way better than its rating.

My picks would be:

Linbrook DGC - Pittsburgh, PA - rated 3.59 but is a lot better than that. I have it as a 4.5 which may seem high to some people. It is rough around the edges, no nice amenities except for having good baskets, but it's masterfully designed. Multiple par 4's and a very unique feel in the woods of western PA. Same designers as Moraine.

Orange Crush - Fairmont, WV - rated 4.22 which is a great rating but I still feel like it doesn't great the credit it deserves. It got some low ratings early due to bad rough, but the upkeep is outstanding there now. Another masterfully designed woods course. I have it as a 4.5.

Portage Lakes DGC

Lots of reviews from the early days keep the rating lower than it should be. Considering the other courses in the area, it should easily warrant a solid 4.

-18 holes
-Multiple pin placements
-Two sets of paved tees for each hole
-Water in play for nearly half the course
-Long, heavily wooded holes. Very few courses in the area with a similar amount of trees, and the ones that are that wooded tend to be much shorter. Very few NE Ohio courses offer 650' par 5's full of trees.
-Skatepark, lake, boat launching ramp, playground, basketball hoops, bike trails and restrooms in the park.

Compliments the more open courses like Arboretum and Deis Hill very well.

Having played a ton for wooded courses since I moved to Charlotte, I have to say the fairways of Portage Lakes feel a lot more defined that many of the holes at Angry Beaver, Nevin etc., and it's a very young course. Tons of work went into getting it to where it is today.

One I reviewed today, that just keeps getting improved.

O'Hauser Park, Neenah, WI

Really nice course that's overshadowed locally by Rollin' Ridge. Course wise, it's pretty damn fun, and should probably be over 4.0.

I thought Borderland in Easton, MA is even underrated at 4.21. It's probably top 3 of the courses I've played. I'm thinking the rubber tees are what's holding it back...but the golf is absolutely phenomenal.

Prides Creek Park

I will throw this gem out there. It's certainly not underrated, but it's pretty new and hasn't gotten a lot of play. The pictures don't do it justice.

I actually just ran a C-Tier there on Saturday, and judging by everyone's response, I could have ran the worst, most poorly organized tournament, and it wouldn't have mattered because of the course. (FYI: I run very well organized tournaments. It's about the only thing I do well in disc golf.)

Iron hill as far as it's rating on this site goes is extremely underrated. This is one of the best courses that I've played. I'm assuming since the layout is very tough and not for everyone people rate it lower

Village of Pinehurst In NC is another one that very few talk about but it is a very good course in this area.

Perkerson park in ATL also comes to mind. The design there is very nice but since it's in the ghetto it has a sub 4 rating on this site.

Codorus State Park, Hanover, PA. 54 holes of blissful disc golf. Excellent mix in a beautiful park on Lake Marburg. Camping, boat rentals, 9 hole mini course.

Patapsco Valley State Park in Marriottsville, MD is pretty flipping sweet too

Iron hill as far as it's rating on this site goes is extremely underrated. This is one of the best courses that I've played. I'm assuming since the layout is very tough and not for everyone people rate it lower

Village of Pinehurst In NC is another one that very few talk about but it is a very good course in this area.

Perkerson park in ATL also comes to mind. The design there is very nice but since it's in the ghetto it has a sub 4 rating on this site.

Iron hill is a good one

@eegor
Agree about Audubon being better now with the concrete tees. It has also been generally in good shape, especially with the Pro Tourney that came through a few months back.

The holes after you go under the bridge (except for 15) get a little mundane compared to some of the better holes on the course, but overall I enjoy it.

One I reviewed today, that just keeps getting improved.

O'Hauser Park, Neenah, WI

Really nice course that's overshadowed locally by Rollin' Ridge. Course wise, it's pretty damn fun, and should probably be over 4.0.

I thought Borderland in Easton, MA is even underrated at 4.21. It's probably top 3 of the courses I've played. I'm thinking the rubber tees are what's holding it back...but the golf is absolutely phenomenal.

I couldn't agree more about O'Hauser. So, SO good.

Never played it, but apparently, Pendleton King. (or is humor OK here?) :eek:

Portage Lakes DGC

Lots of reviews from the early days keep the rating lower than it should be. Considering the other courses in the area, it should easily warrant a solid 4.

-18 holes
-Multiple pin placements
-Two sets of paved tees for each hole
-Water in play for nearly half the course
-Long, heavily wooded holes. Very few courses in the area with a similar amount of trees, and the ones that are that wooded tend to be much shorter. Very few NE Ohio courses offer 650' par 5's full of trees.
-Skatepark, lake, boat launching ramp, playground, basketball hoops, bike trails and restrooms in the park.

Compliments the more open courses like Arboretum and Deis Hill very well.

Having played a ton for wooded courses since I moved to Charlotte, I have to say the fairways of Portage Lakes feel a lot more defined that many of the holes at Angry Beaver, Nevin etc., and it's a very young course. Tons of work went into getting it to where it is today.

Been wanting to play there for awhile now. My brother and I were actually going to meet up with you to play there last fall but the weather kept us from making the drive out. I've already played Deis Hill and Lincoln Park, so I'd like to make a day of Roscoe Ewing, Portage Lakes, and Arboretum Spiker.

Friends of Punderson DGC - most of the ratings are from when it was only 9 holes. With 18 holes it is in my top 5.

Two Mile Run Extension - 9 hole courses always get rated down. This is a par 35 coming in at 4,000 feet. There are some legit par 4s and 5s on this 9 hole course. If you play the reds and whites it makes for a great 18 holes.

Prides Creek Park

I will throw this gem out there. It's certainly not underrated, but it's pretty new and hasn't gotten a lot of play. The pictures don't do it justice.

I actually just ran a C-Tier there on Saturday, and judging by everyone's response, I could have ran the worst, most poorly organized tournament, and it wouldn't have mattered because of the course. (FYI: I run very well organized tournaments. It's about the only thing I do well in disc golf.)

I agree - this is a fantastic course in a beautiful setting. Played this as part of a 7-course road trip to the Evansville area and Prides Creek was by far the highlight.

I also agree with the mention of Perkerson in Atlanta - some really strong hole design there. Once everything is finished the ratings should improve.

1. Morningside Park, Knoxville, TN. The best course in this region. Some people complain about it not being in a "safe" part of town, but it's no worse than many parks in bigger cities.

2. Stumpy Creek, Mooresville, NC. Stumpy gets overlooked being 25 minutes north of Charlotte and not being a CDGC-run course.

3. Goose Landing, Richfield, NC. Newer course that isn't getting the recognition it deserves. Also lost in the shadow of Charlotte courses and Fox Chase, which is only 10 minutes south of here.

1. Morningside Park, Knoxville, TN. The best course in this region. Some people complain about it not being in a "safe" part of town, but it's no worse than many parks in bigger cities.

2. Stumpy Creek, Mooresville, NC. Stumpy gets overlooked being 25 minutes north of Charlotte and not being a CDGC-run course.

3. Goose Landing, Richfield, NC. Newer course that isn't getting the recognition it deserves. Also lost in the shadow of Charlotte courses and Fox Chase, which is only 10 minutes south of here.

Agree with stumpy creek. It is an excellent course that gets very little recognition

Wasn't it completely re-designed recently?

If so, it may also suffer from earlier ratings, or at least those of us who remember the earlier version.

Latest posts