• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Most Understable Roadrunner Plastic

+1 for the Mongoose. The icon plastic feels nice in the hand. I lost one recently and i stuck my RR back in the bag to replace it. I heard the Mongoose was a RR clone.

I'll look into a Mongoose. Maybe I should hijack my own thread. What are some Roadrunner clones in premium plastic with consistent fly by the numbers flights?

Yes. The lower the PLH, the more understable a disc will be. Now that means relative to the same mold with a higher PLH, not every mold out there.

As for the Mongoose being like a Roadrunner, I found that it flips much easier than the few RRs I've thrown with a stronger fade. It's more like the flippy Thrasher (the VD sigs are not flippy at all). The couple I threw lost fade before it started losing HSS. Definitely worth checking out but give it some time to lose some fade.

I'll look into a Mongoose. Maybe I should hijack my own thread. What are some Roadrunner clones in premium plastic with consistent fly by the numbers flights?

Try Dynamic's Escape for a RR flight. I currently bag a Champ Roadrunner but was throwing Escapes for a bit. My Biofusion Escapes are the most understable. Bio beats in quickly and has good grip IMO.

Oh man, I would love a DX RR! DX flies by the numbers and glides so well. At their price they're replaceable. Wish Innova would adjust the molds for different plastics.

if a DX roadrunner existed I would like to try one, but they don't

Oh man, I would love a DX RR! DX flies by the numbers and glides so well. At their price they're replaceable. Wish Innova would adjust the molds for different plastics.

So try a DX Sidewinder. It's not like the Sidewinder is all that much more overstable than the Roadrunner....

I have a champ RR that started OS but after only 1 round at buffalo ridge, its so flippy I cant believe how much it loosened up. I tried to hyzer flip it on 18 and it still turned over on me.

I have a champ RR that started OS but after only 1 round at buffalo ridge, its so flippy I cant believe how much it loosened up. I tried to hyzer flip it on 18 and it still turned over on me.

Buffalo is mostly exposed volcanic rock, not surprising that a round would beat in a disc ;)

OHHHhhhhhhh it's about time to venture back down to the valley again.

If you really want a flippy control driver you may as well try an Axiom Virus

RR's are US already, so lightweight would really be the answer, starlight plastic or just a lightweight star --- but if you are searching for REALLY US, just get a virus -

The problem with very understable discs like the Roadrunner is that you outgrow them so fast. Practice driving regularly and the RR will be flipping and eating ground in no time.

If you throw more than about 300' max, a RR isn't a very useful disc. Its pretty violently understable in any weight/plastic.

The problem with very understable discs like the Roadrunner is that you outgrow them so fast. Practice driving regularly and the RR will be flipping and eating ground in no time.

If you throw more than about 300' max, a RR isn't a very useful disc. Its pretty violently understable in any weight/plastic.

This is so far from correct.

Practice hyzerflipping them down long tight tunnels. Practice rollers that finish right or big rainbow rollers over then under trees. Practice throwing them with hyzer to get late turn once they get past flat.

You're thinking about throwing flat and straight. Sure. They are not great for throwing flat to finish straight at 400' of power. There are other things you can do with a driver. Expand your shotmaking.

So you have thrown all of 1 starlite disc and you judge them all based on that? :doh:

Seemed a reasonable assumption to me. It's common knowledge that star is flippier than champ. Every bliz champ disc I have thrown has been way flippier than the non-bliz version. I assumed that weight-to-flippiness-relationship holds for star/starlite as well, and from my one disc of experience, it certainly did. Thus making starlite the flippiest of RR plastics.

Seemed a reasonable assumption to me. It's common knowledge that star is flippier than champ. Every bliz champ disc I have thrown has been way flippier than the non-bliz version. I assumed that weight-to-flippiness-relationship holds for star/starlite as well, and from my one disc of experience, it certainly did. Thus making starlite the flippiest of RR plastics.

I got a flat, really high PLH, starlite RR that disagrees :D

Sample sizes of 1, useless for making decisions ;)

I haven't tried any of them but star and champ... a star RR at 160 is fairly US.. My 174 champ is pretty beefy. I don't throw much over 300' but I won't stand for any disparaging remarks about them.

Roadrunners are awesome! Even if I don't bag them at this time.. I would vote it the most fun disc to throw ever, great utility disc and with a easy to manipulate flight.

why dont you just grab a mamba and not worry about the run variations that innova is notorious for?

I got a flat, really high PLH, starlite RR that disagrees :D

Sample sizes of 1, useless for making decisions ;)

True, but then no one can ever declare anything about a disc without throwing multiple versions of that disc/plastic combo? Someone that throws a champ boss for the first time cannot say champ bosses are OS? C'mon.

I think your RR is the outlier, and the vast majority are going to be very flippy - they are extra light versions of a disc with -4 turn.