• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most unpopular/uncommon disc you throw?

I bag the Mantra from TSA. I love the plastic.

I bought a few of these, they're a little flippier than I anticipated. I should try one again.

But yeah, the plastic is sweet. And the stamp.

I will go a step further and say plastic too, Proline Titanic due to not being made in that plastic. Also was not popular due to the thought the disc would be like some of the premium plastic Magnet discs, a brick. Actually no, the Proline Titanic due to the taller height due to spacer is not a brick just needs a little bit more power then a Magnet due to the Titanic mold being taller rather then the plastic used for the mold.

Lighting #2 Upshot in the Prostyle not a lot of players using that mold or Lighting disc anymore, they sit to be collected and sold for high value later to throwers willing to fork over the money.

The other is the ESP Impact in the good weights (I have 6-7 backups at those two weight set) due to being OOP, my brother and I are the few that throw that disc a bit, maybe my dad when he played used his but he also got a Super Stingray that is nearly the same thing. An uncle uses the Glide like I use the Impact.

I also use a DX Dragon ~150 grams mine is from 2019 for tailwind or calm big bomb shots on open holes due to how wide a shot that needs and over water.

I throw a .50 Cal (by Arsenal), a 9-speed fairway drive a buddy gave me. He said it didn't work for him (he's a LONG thrower) but thought it would work for me. Once in a while I touch 300 feet on a drive. The numbers on my disc say 9 6 -1 1. I've seen pictures of others saying 10 4 -2 2 or even 10 4 -2 3. It feels more like 9 6 -2 0 for me.

Been bagging a DX Stingray all season.

A couple of weeks ago at league, a guy told me to drop it and join the rest of the 21st century!

Funny to read about the DX Stingray. I went back to one this Spring after about 15 years away from it. Found one used for $2 and decided to give it a shot. I'm loving it.

I get my best distance out of the Star and Echo Mamba's. I've watched at least 5 dozen tournaments and I've never have heard them mentioned by the commentators as being used by a player. I haven't seen them on the course by other players as well. So, maybe their uncommon?
Up until two months ago I had a Lightning #1 Roller that I had not heard of before I bought it for 6 bucks or since then. I missed rolled down a fairway bordering a ravine. It rolled down the ravine, across a gully, and half way up the other side. It was muddy and would of taken me at least ten minutes to cross back and forth. So, I left it there.

A couple of weeks ago at league, a guy told me to drop it and join the rest of the 21st century!

Nope I would not tell you those words. I would be impressed how one can use that mold and not have it in wind go with winds 7 mph at the least but any wind beyond 10 mph. I used the mold until 2017 when then in 2018 I switched to the Shark 3 ~175 gram for true midrange and for approach/windy day putter/driving putter, currently the Shark in Star or Pro ~175 grams. I wanted to keep using the Stingray but if the Cobra had been just a Stingray with a bead, no other flatter top to the mold I would have go that mold instead of the Shark. I had a 175 gram and a 166 gram DX Stingray, neither could handle winds of South Dakota/upper plains or the western part of the Midwest.

Stingray was one of the first discs I got from an uncle who took me out for my first time in mid 2003 along with a Rubber Putter from Lightning that I lost the Stingray but when I got into a store in mid 2004 I bought another that is now in my beginner bag. There is a reason that one of the Innova beginner sets, I think the Champion? had a Stinray disc as the midrange in the 2000's and the other set was the one still made with the DX Shark in it.

So you can say the Stingray has a special place in my heart.

I just started carrying DX Stingrays a few weeks ago. Fantastic at altitude and a lot of fun in the woods.

And I never leave home without a Sidewinder either.

It would be fun to film an In The Bag with a bunch of these, along with the accompanying descriptions and videos.

I get my best distance out of the Star and Echo Mamba's. I've watched at least 5 dozen tournaments and I've never have heard them mentioned by the commentators as being used by a player. I haven't seen them on the course by other players as well. So, maybe their uncommon?

Mambas are too understable to be used consistently by the top players. They were used fairly frequently when they were released back 8 years ago, but yeah you don't see a lot around anymore.

Just put a DX Cobra in the bag - can't wait to try it out. Never thrown one before, and I don't know many people that bag them anymore. From what I know of the molds, both Stingrays and Cobras are "oldies but goodies"

My US options don't seem to be very popular. I don't know why, as I have spent a ton of time in my DG career searching for my favorite flippy discs that turnover right out of the box:

Mirage
Vertex
Underworld
Mamba

Much love for shot shaping in the woods <3

I have an

MVP Orbital
Latitude Misslein and Rakteen
Innova blizzard champ Zephyr

All in the bag, and I'm the only one I know who uses any of those!

I might have posted here before.....but I throw an all gyro bag. And a Stego. Take your pick of seldom seen molds.

Most uncommon (I'm totally guessing)

Wrath
Resistor
Axis
Particle

Others:
Crave
Insanity
Anode

Wave, volts, ions, matrix round it out, but those are slightly more common

What plastics did you throw it in? I hear ya, i might go over to Colts just to get a premium plastic i like, Star.

Using them in Zero medium atm.

Zero Line, with the grippy patch. The Colts I threw were mostly XTs, but did have a couple DX and KC to mess around with.

Latest posts