• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Hey, I did just recently suggest Chain's Edge to medicinalfunk in the Where are you going in 2023 thread :D

I've played the other's you mentioned except the newest Preserve course and this Breezy Point you speak of. I don't recall hearing about that one. I'll look it up. :thmbup:

breezy point is about 3.5 4 ish

most crappy thing about that course is minimal quality supporting cast but it certainty has some course bagger 9ers in the area

i enjoyed it but ive only played it once i also aced there with my red z wasp :thmbup:

I would tell anyone that's playing Chain's Edge to leave the cart in the car! Also not sure how it would play when wet, with the natural teepads. Other than that, totally worth the trek.

most if not all have paver teepads now

its a sick complex

ricky dubs might be a little scared to play there tho

Judson Mine should be in the conversation for best MN disc golf course.

Slow your roll mister Wolfhaley regarding best in MN. :)

Agreed on BRP having lost it's luster. And the (3 courses now) at the Preserve are pretty lame except for the scenery.

I love the Bethel course but would prefer a round at any of the Chains Edge courses.

Hidden Lake in its early years was pretty dang fantastic but has been opened up now so probably out of the conversation.

Breezy Point is a banger. Played it for the first time last year and was impressed. Word is there might be a second course going in this year, not sure of that status. Headed back this year to confirm how much I liked it.

I think it has excellent design. What don't you like about the design? Judson Mine has a lot of very fair and challenging holes.

for the record i enjoy judson mine and i think its one of the most beautiful courses ive played and i would rate it a 4 i would highly recommend to others if in the area

the faults

are hole 1 plays down a road/filler hole to get to the real holes and also 2 feels like filler to get to 3 which from there is mostly great

hole 14 too cliche plus im not sure if they resolved that barb wire fence on the left

some poor drainage issues too

also i would have liked to see a bit moar done with the elevation on the right with starting with hole 14

Even though it plays down a road, I guess I don't see 1 as a filler hole. There is a decent amount going on there. A good shot is difficult but it is fair and you are rewarded if you execute. Also, I've never seen an actual vehicle on that road. I think it is just an old access road for the mine. 2 is sneaky difficult for rhbh. A short shot even by a little bit will funnel downhill fast.

I've played there a dozen times and never seen any problems with drainage. Maybe I'm just got lucky in that respect.

Agreed on hole hole 14.

Even if I agreed on all of your points, this all still seems pretty picky. I could find just as much if not more wrong with all of the best courses in MN.

You came on pretty strong with the statement "best actual dg design and play absolutely not" and I'm not seeing it here.

To be clear, I'm not sure if Judson Mine is the best designed in MN, but like I said I think it should be part of the conversation.

for the record i enjoy judson mine and i think its one of the most beautiful courses ive played and i would rate it a 4 i would highly recommend to others if in the area

the faults

are hole 1 plays down a road/filler hole to get to the real holes and also 2 feels like filler to get to 3 which from there is mostly great

hole 14 too cliche plus im not sure if they resolved that barb wire fence on the left

some poor drainage issues too

also i would have liked to see a bit moar done with the elevation on the right with starting with hole 14

Even though it plays down a road, I guess I don't see 1 as a filler hole. There is a decent amount going on there. A good shot is difficult but it is fair and you are rewarded if you execute. Also, I've never seen an actual vehicle on that road. I think it is just an old access road for the mine. 2 is sneaky difficult for rhbh. A short shot even by a little bit will funnel downhill fast.

I've played there a dozen times and never seen any problems with drainage. Maybe I'm just got lucky in that respect.

Agreed on hole hole 14.

Even if I agreed on all of your points, this all still seems pretty picky. I could find just as much if not more wrong with all of the best courses in MN.

You came on pretty strong with the statement "best actual dg design and play absolutely not" and I'm not seeing it here.

To be clear, I'm not sure if Judson Mine is the best designed in MN, but like I said I think it should be part of the conversation.

i would want someone to be "pretty picky" before proclaiming something as best in the state (not that you said it but to have in the conversation with the finer points)

Agreed on hole hole 14.

i dont know if you even want this bonus comment but drainage issue on hole 8 or 9 ish they might have put a little bridge in there i cant remember but even the sides get soft and muddy

the course plays towards an intermediate level crowd with shorter holes with maybe 1-2 longer ones which the longer holes do not add other design element than length

the redundancy and predictability play comes into mind on hole 6 and 7 to "get around the lake"

I don't know man, Judson Mine was pretty fantastic. Probably not top course in MN level, but certainly towards the top of the list. At least out of what I've played over there.

Agreed on hole hole 14.

whats your argument for why it should be in the conversation

Judson Mine should be in the conversation for best MN disc golf course.

I haven't played Judson Mine yet (hopefully this year). But am curious if we actually have a legitimate >4 rated course in MN. I'm drawing a blank...

We've got a plethora of good to great courses but nothing like a legit wow factor beat down course.

Last edited:
I haven't played Judson Mine yet (hopefully this year). But am curious if we actually have a legitimate >4 rated course in MN. I'm drawing a blank...

We've got a plethora of good to great courses but nothing like a legit wow factor beat down course.

That's an interesting question. MN has some excellent golf for sure. There's probably the best variety and quality of 9 hole courses anywhere. Lot's of really good/above average 18's too. Some great complexes (Chain's Edge, Cedar Creek). It's just got a great mix of different styles of golf. But no true gems (despite BRP's rating here).

Looking at my courses played list in MN it's hard to pick a favorite, much less must play.

Top ten from a WI guy :D, in no particular order.

Oak Island
Judson Mine
Bethel University
Kenwood Trails
Kaposia
Chain's Edge (x3)
Side Lake
Bryant Lake

thats painful to admit but i think youre right

10 years ago in relative course rating we had some absolute bangers but the new era of dg courses yah we dont have it

terrible

Latest posts