• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Moving to Portland, OR

Horsman

Pandamonium Discs
Gold level trusted reviewer
Title says it all. Life changes and I'll be moving to Portland, OR sometime in the next few months. For those of you that live in Portland, what would some DG advice for the area be? I looking for league info, good companies to follow, good shops, good TD's.

Ill be playing all the courses in the area to find my favorites to play but what are your suggestions and who would want to meet up to play a round or two?

I played Pier Park almost 8 years ago... It was very beautiful, had some memorable shots, but was jampacked. You are probably used to this w/Madison & Milwaukee courses however.

I could probably be persuaded to take a day trip to hit any courses you wanna knock off before you leave. Not sure when Bird's Ruins will open, but that is one course seemingly between us that appears neither of us have played yet.

I took a long weekend trip to Portland in Oct 2020 solely to play DG and it was a blast. Horning's Hideout (3 courses), Milo McIver (2 courses), Pier, Blue Lake, and Timber were all great.
I would hit up DRB, looks like he regularly hits the everything in the general area.
Disc Golf Depot is a very good brick and mortar shop.

I played Pier Park almost 8 years ago... It was very beautiful, had some memorable shots, but was jampacked. You are probably used to this w/Madison & Milwaukee courses however.

I could probably be persuaded to take a day trip to hit any courses you wanna knock off before you leave. Not sure when Bird's Ruins will open, but that is one course seemingly between us that appears neither of us have played yet.

I probably wont have any time to get out and play some new courses while Im back in WI since I'm going to be pretty busy moving but if I get some free time Ill def keep it in mind.

It's been a while, but I used to play there a good bit in 2014/16. One tip you should check into; some of the parks are pay to enter(Milo, Dabney, maybe Blue Lake) but they have an annual park Pas that works at all of them. Definitely worth it if you play a lot.

Any other info I have would likely be too dated, but I hope you enjoy the move!

It's been a while, but I used to play there a good bit in 2014/16. One tip you should check into; some of the parks are pay to enter(Milo, Dabney, maybe Blue Lake) but they have an annual park Pas that works at all of them. Definitely worth it if you play a lot.

Any other info I have would likely be too dated, but I hope you enjoy the move!

Yea, I've been looking at this and it looks like most of the 18 hole courses in the area are pay to play and the little bit of research that I have done so far seems like Ill have to either pay every time I go to each course or pay a annual fee for every course. Seems a bit pricey for DG to me but I'll def look into this pass that covers more than 1 course.

If you end up outside Portland proper Hornings Hideout in Hillsboro is a super cool facility

If you end up outside Portland proper Hornings Hideout in Hillsboro is a super cool facility

As of right now, that is the area that I will be moving into. Plans might change but thats the area that my family is looking at. Seems like a solid place for sure.

As of right now, that is the area that I will be moving into. Plans might change but thats the area that my family is looking at. Seems like a solid place for sure.

That should be a fabulous area from a disc golf perspective. We have disc golfing family in Salem so I have mostly played Portland and south, but Horning's, L.L. Stub Stewart, Buxton, McCormick, etc. have been on my list for a while.

I happened to take my wife with me to Horning's for the 2 rounds I squeezed in while we were in the area (Sept 2011). She was just there to get a good hike in while my friend and I played dg.

It was at that facility that the light bulb went off in her head and she realized what could be done with a private course/acreage. That was the day Hidden Ridge became not just a dream, but a goal. She was fully on board. We moved back home a few months later and started eye-balling the properties for sale in Northern Kentucky.

So go play Hornings and say hi to the peacocks for me.

Don't let the dillitantes keep you from playing Hagg Lake or Trojan, either: both of those are also W/NW of Portland, and are excellent challenges in their own ways.

Portland. Frisbees. Blah blah blah.

Hit me up. I've been in Portland for 12 years now, and play all over the area, with pretty good regularity (at least a couple rounds per week).

Leagues: There are some good ones. I avoid them. But I can point you at the right folks.

Courses: Some great ones I play a lot (Milo, Blue Lake, McCormick, Timber, Stubb, Pier Park, Buxton, Horning's). Some good ones I play sometimes. Some others I still have never bothered to play. But we've got good golf. Year round (if you own a drizzle-proof jacket).

Shops: Huklab up by Pier Park. Disc Golf Depot is the OG standard. And there's a new shop downtown.

I'll throw with you. Shoot me a PM.

Hit me up. I've been in Portland for 12 years now, and play all over the area, with pretty good regularity (at least a couple rounds per week).

Leagues: There are some good ones. I avoid them. But I can point you at the right folks.

Courses: Some great ones I play a lot (Milo, Blue Lake, McCormick, Timber, Stubb, Pier Park, Buxton, Horning's). Some good ones I play sometimes. Some others I still have never bothered to play. But we've got good golf. Year round (if you own a drizzle-proof jacket).

Shops: Huklab up by Pier Park. Disc Golf Depot is the OG standard. And there's a new shop downtown.

I'll throw with you. Shoot me a PM.

Ill probably be living in Hillsboro, Ill be making my way to all the courses in the area but Ill probably be playing a lot around Hillsboro. Does Hornings have a league and are there any TD's that I should probably try to stay away from?

Yea, I've been looking at this and it looks like most of the 18 hole courses in the area are pay to play and the little bit of research that I have done so far seems like Ill have to either pay every time I go to each course or pay a annual fee for every course. Seems a bit pricey for DG to me but I'll def look into this pass that covers more than 1 course.

It's just a parks and recreation pass. Helps to keep Oregon parks as awesome as they are.

State Parks pass (around $40 per year I think) covers Milo, Whistlers, Dabney, Wheatland, Champoeg, and Stubb (and others). Or you can pay $5 per day.
Metropark pass cover Blue Lake ($30 per year). Or you can pay $5 per day.
Buxton and Horning's are private ($4-5 per day).
Pier, Trojan, McCormick, Timber, and others are free.

None of that feels "pricey" to have maintained courses.

Ill probably be living in Hillsboro, Ill be making my way to all the courses in the area but Ill probably be playing a lot around Hillsboro. Does Hornings have a league and are there any TD's that I should probably try to stay away from?

Dunno. I live in North Portland, between Pier and Blue Lake.

A couple of years ago, I stayed in an Air B&B in Newberg (due South of Hillsboro). We played three courses in the mornings before our wives were up. None of them outshine the list you're working with, but they're worth bagging on the way to other things...

Campoeg State Park is the best of them: a full 18 hole park-style course

Ewing Young is a little 12 holer. Nothing special, expect somebody scrawled "Don't Freak Out Man!" on the tee post of the one tunnel hole. I laminated a picture and it's clipped to my bag.

Herbert Hoover is a tiny little 9 in a bowl-shaped downtown park. Don't play when it's wet, and try not to wake the homeless guys if you play early.

Latest posts