• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Moving to Portland, OR

State Parks pass (around $40 per year I think) covers Milo, Whistlers, Dabney, Wheatland, Champoeg, and Stubb (and others). Or you can pay $5 per day.
Metropark pass cover Blue Lake ($30 per year). Or you can pay $5 per day.
Buxton and Horning's are private ($4-5 per day).
Pier, Trojan, McCormick, Timber, and others are free.

None of that feels "pricey" to have maintained courses.

Guess I owe Blue Lake some money, as I always just hung my State Parks pass and never got a ticket. Whoops.

State Parks pass (around $40 per year I think) covers Milo, Whistlers, Dabney, Wheatland, Champoeg, and Stubb (and others). Or you can pay $5 per day.
Metropark pass cover Blue Lake ($30 per year). Or you can pay $5 per day.
Buxton and Horning's are private ($4-5 per day).
Pier, Trojan, McCormick, Timber, and others are free.

None of that feels "pricey" to have maintained courses.

I think I was just initially shocked when I looked up a season pass for Hornings and it was like $100 and buxton was maybe $70.

I think I've been spoiled by Pay to Play in Milwaukee where its $40 a year for all the courses.

Hillsboro just got a new 9 hole that will be decent for nice weather play: it's a bit muddy otherwise. They do league at the other Hillsboro course, orchard park, but is all short holes.

Hagg lake is getting mowed more frequently and is pretty decent now, no teepads yet. $7 per car.

Buxton, horning's, Stubb Stewart are the closest 18 holes but are pay to play. State Park pass is $30 a year/$50 for 2 years. I'm pretty sure they do league @ Stubb. [Thursdays?] Bux has league on Sundays I believe.

Hillsboro just got a new 9 hole that will be decent for nice weather play: it's a bit muddy otherwise. They do league at the other Hillsboro course, orchard park, but is all short holes.

Hagg lake is getting mowed more frequently and is pretty decent now, no teepads yet. $7 per car.

Buxton, horning's, Stubb Stewart are the closest 18 holes but are pay to play. State Park pass is $30 a year/$50 for 2 years. I'm pretty sure they do league @ Stubb. [Thursdays?] Bux has league on Sundays I believe.
Is that new one Dairy Creek? Not bad at all. Better than Orchard IMHO. Although last time I was there for work my hotel was walking distance to Orchard so that was nice.

Is that new one Dairy Creek? Not bad at all. Better than Orchard IMHO. Although last time I was there for work my hotel was walking distance to Orchard so that was nice.

Yupp dairy Creek. Solid for in town, quickish round. A much needed course especially since lunchtime is gone.

Portland area is a disc golf mecca. Whatever you do, you can't go wrong. Everything has been suggested here. Trojan/McCormick/Stubb/Columbia Shores are the ones I considered my "home courses". Be sure to play them all. You'll be pleasantly surprised :)

If you don't know what poison oak looks like. You better find out. Several courses in the area have it.

You think Im going to be throwing in the rough..... pshhh.

Worst part is, is that I look up poison oak and to me it just looks like a plant.

Yeah, its not easily distinguished from much similar undergrowth. If you know you're allegic to it, best to wear long pants or gaiters.

Seeing how you'll be in Hillsboro, an hour+ drive south gets you Wheatland, Keizer Rapids, Bryant and Waterloo. There's others, but these are the best of the lot.

Last edited:
You think Im going to be throwing in the rough..... pshhh.

Worst part is, is that I look up poison oak and to me it just looks like a plant.

I've taken enough steroids for Poison Ivy breakouts to make Mark McGuire blush. I can *usually* identify it pretty easily now. **Finally**

I'm guessing if you haven't broken out from it yet, you are probably immune. Although I wouldn't test out that theory if you can avoid it.

Seeing how you'll be in Hillsboro, an hour+ drive south gets you Wheatland, Keizer Rapids, Bryant and Waterloo. There's others, but these are the best of the lot.

If you are down that way, Camp Taloali is also pretty fun. If you head to the coast from Corvallis, I hear good things about the new Wilder course (the previous Wilder course was a unique and fun experience). Rogue brewpub in Newport is worth a stop, too.

Camp Tadmor is a Steady Ed design from 1982. I would love to get out there but it is closed in the summer.

Nothing to do with disc golf, but Silver Falls State Park near Salem is gorgeous.

I'm guessing if you haven't broken out from it yet, you are probably immune. Although I wouldn't test out that theory if you can avoid it.

If a person gets a rash from poison ivy they will also get a rash from poison oak. In both cases an oily substance called urushiol is what triggers the reaction.

Just to be clear, the rash is caused by an allergic response so "immunity" to poison ivy/oak is kinda the opposite as immunity to infectious disease. It takes more than one exposure to develop the allergic response to urushiol. Some people never do react, but most people develop an allergic reaction after repeated exposures.

So yeah, probably worth learning to recognize the bugger.

If you don't know what poison oak looks like. You better find out. Several courses in the area have it.

Played McCormick last night. First shiny sprigs of the season were poking up, all over.

Yeah, its not easily distinguished from much similar undergrowth. If you know you're allegic to it, best to wear long pants or gaiters.

I started playing Disc Golf in this area. Adair Village is another good one that is pretty nice when it's dry. Bryant is underneath the Willamette river for a portion of the year, but it's a fantastic course. Waterloo is a hidden gem, but this hidden gem has a ton of poison nettles. The nettles are pretty innocuous but can be painful if you shank your shot.

I started playing Disc Golf in this area. Adair Village is another good one that is pretty nice when it's dry. Bryant is underneath the Willamette river for a portion of the year, but it's a fantastic course. Waterloo is a hidden gem, but this hidden gem has a ton of poison nettles. The nettles are pretty innocuous but can be painful if you shank your shot.
it will only take one stick with a nettle & you will remember what it looks like (hurts like a bee sting)

Indeed.

btw I meant Stinging Nettle, and I have felt the pain of wading through a field of them in shorts a couple times

If a person gets a rash from poison ivy they will also get a rash from poison oak. In both cases an oily substance called urushiol is what triggers the reaction.

Just to be clear, the rash is caused by an allergic response so "immunity" to poison ivy/oak is kinda the opposite as immunity to infectious disease. It takes more than one exposure to develop the allergic response to urushiol. Some people never do react, but most people develop an allergic reaction after repeated exposures.

So yeah, probably worth learning to recognize the bugger.

Is this true, Bruce? I get pretty nasty poison ivy rashes out east (and growing up out east), but I only get a couple bumps a couple times per season from poison oak, and I know I tromp through it on some of our courses out here.

My buddy Rob skips some courses out here entirely in the summer, owing to his terrible poison oak allergy.