• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MultiColored Dyeing advise?????

CTRobuck

Birdie Member
I have now done a few simple single color dyes and I am starting to get a little more comfortable with the whole process. I consider myself pretty good at problem solving but I for some reason can't figure the best way to do a multicolor dye.

I would love to hear some example of techniques used out there. I see a lot of dyes you guys/gals do and I am very impressed, and I want to do that too! Haha, anyway what are some techniques used out there to do this?

I have now done a few simple single color dyes and I am starting to get a little more comfortable with the whole process. I consider myself pretty good at problem solving but I for some reason can't figure the best way to do a multicolor dye.

I would love to hear some example of techniques used out there. I see a lot of dyes you guys/gals do and I am very impressed, and I want to do that too! Haha, anyway what are some techniques used out there to do this?

Do you have a project in mind right now? Tell me about it and or do you have a photo?

Do you have a project in mind right now? Tell me about it and or do you have a photo?

Nice dyes by the way!

I am wanting to do some sports logos, most of which are outlined in a color(black) and then filled in with many different colors. Not just sports logos but anything kinda like this:

images

I know this is still pretty simple

Black line drawings are good, its how everyone get there feet wet. I start with the black then dye the next darkest color and work from dark to light. As long as the colors are in the same group you won't have to re-mask but if your dyeing blue over red you will get purple so you will have to treat individual colors as there own dye if that makes sense.
So in this case I would make the rim of the hat black and dye it first. Then dye the blue and then green and not bother with re- masking. If there was another color though like brown you would need to re-mask everything except the black.

Ah, so if I dye black, that makes sense that lighter colors would just blend in. So as long as the colors are darker, the lighter colors shouldnt effect the shade.

But as far as "remasking", are we just talking cutting vinyl to fit over the already dyed areas?

Yes. you can do it that way or you can save the piece you already cut out in the first place and just reapply it.

Depending on the vinyl you might not be able to reapply them, if you are using a plotter/cutter I would just cut 2 stencils. One for the original masking and a second to cover after each color is dyed.

If you have ever done silk-screening ,air brushing or even some watercolor? The build ups are done the same way.

if you are using a plotter/cutter I would just cut 2 stencils. One for the original masking and a second to cover after each color is dyed.

Yeah, I wish I had a plotter, all the plotters seem so expensive. That would definitely help keep my hand from cramping up so much. Plus those little details can get so frustrating.

Moon's got it pretty much right. Always go darker to lighter and if the colors aren't in the same family, mask it off. Here's a good example: Dyed black first, Dyed blue second, but then I masked blue. Dyed orange next, then yellow...
OtherWorktTDzr6.jpg

With my first couple of elaborate dyes I did before a got a plotter/cutter I paid $20 for 5 precuts, maybe 6. Does anyone know what they go for now?

Kinda a related question, I just did my first multi color and I noticed that when masking some of the colors the vinyl would pull some of it up, not much but enough to be noticed.

Is it best to wait a day between colors?

Is it best to wait a day between colors?

Yeah. I've had a few issues with that as well. I find that it is best to wait a day or so before remasking and dyeing again. Also, some of the masking I use leaves behind a residue of adhesive, so I wait a day or two before wiping it off too. It gives the dye time to set into the plastic and the plastic time to readjust after being heated and saturated with dye particulates. Some people put the discs in the freezer to help it set. I dont, but the principle is the same.

No need to wait. Just dye the makes color an extra min or so. Keep in mind it's just the surface dyeyour pulling off. I have never waited to remask any color. Just Get'r done and move on to the next dye.

Trozzle posts his method here on page 2. I will be doing one tonight or tomorrow that I will post pictures of in the same post.