• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Mvp Amp

I'm more interested in the Amp than the Volt, if it is truly under stable.

Me too. There are too many other quality discs that fill the Volt spot for me (Saint and Eagle currently) but I'm not packing a truly understable fairway currently. Maybe I'll give her a shot...

If it holds true to MVPs release history, wouldn't this be a more understable Volt? Ion before Anode, Vector before Axis?

I'm going to pull a page from onemilemore and self-quote for truth. I like waking up being right. I'm married, so that happens far too little...

Guess all those understable Volt throwers will have to power down a bit. :hfive:

MVP-style River?? It's almost blasphemous for me to think something might knock my River out of the bag. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Whassat you say? Pink Volts are misstamped Amps?!

Srsly, though, I just got Sidewinders dialed in after not throwing them for a couple years... Gonna pass on this one.

I was gonna say "Gonna pass on this one unless the reviews are really really good." There's not much chance of that not happening.. Have fun, Overmolders!

An understable fairway driver will be very begginer friendly. MVP knows what they are doing.

This disc will complete my MVP bag. Can't wait.

Well, since my Volt goes dead straight, I'm pretty excited about the Amp. I've actually been trying to decide on a good long range right turner.

And by the way, I think the next plastic they come out with has to be called Electron. How could they NOT do it?

Electron should be their lighttweight plastic.

Under stable???? :wall::wall::wall:

I already have about 15 Rivers, 4 Diamonds and maybe 6 Visions. :(

An understable fairway driver will be very begginer friendly.

This is why I'm going to pay way more attention to this release than the Volt. I'm still a newbie, and am taking the "don't-throw-too-fast-discs" thing seriously. It'd be great to have a 7 or 8 speed driver to try from MVP. As a bonus, I'm planning on using Christmas money to purchase a few US fairway drivers to try out: the River had seemed like a lock for that spot, but now it looks like it might have some competition.

This is probably the first MVP disc I have no interest in, The volt was a disappointment for me and this AMP sounds even worse.

I bet all they had to do is put a different overmold on the driver core they made for the Volt, makes a ton of sense why that wouldn't take nearly as long as the Volt.

The profile is up at MVP's site... http://www.mvpdiscsports.com/models/amp .

Compare it to the Volt, they are very close. The Amp looks a little more rounded and lower plh?

Squinting at the profile diagrams, I'd say this is right. Just a different, lower plh, overmold on the Volt core.

I'm going to pull a page from onemilemore and self-quote for truth. I like waking up being right. I'm married, so that happens far too little...

Guess all those understable Volt throwers will have to power down a bit. :hfive:

MVP-style River?? It's almost blasphemous for me to think something might knock my River out of the bag. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

An MVP River makes me drool.

An understable fairway driver will be very begginer friendly. MVP knows what they are doing.

This disc will complete my MVP bag. Can't wait.

This was my thought, too. With a beginner-friendly driver, their customer base now becomes much more broad.

Well this speaks volumes about the intended flight and role of the Volt.

Not sure how useful I'm going to find this disc but I am really interested to see how flippy they turn out.

Not sure how useful I'm going to find this disc but I am really interested to see how flippy they turn out.

You can just throw the Amps left handed, Mike. :D

FWIW, I couldn't get my Volt to turn over at all on a normal throw. And I'm not exactly a noodle arm (no big-boy thrower either, though). Isn't flippy a relative term? I mean, I get that 500' power throwers don't break out a RR for big bombing drives. But the way I understood the understable/overstable issue is that big arms CAN throw understable plastic, whereas (seriously) overstable plastic CAN'T be thrown by weaker arms for distance.

So, in regards to distance, "flippy" just means you're throwing it too hard (or suffering OAT), so it's a mechanics thing. "Meathook" would mean you're throwing something you shouldn't be, so it's an equipment thing.

And just to clarify, this isn't meant to bash or insult ANYBODY. If I could throw 400'+ power drives, I'd be using a Destroyer I'm sure. I guess with the new Lace, the Amp, and Opto Air, etc. recently I've been seeing the word "flippy" used ALOT in a negative context. Or people (NOT the post I'm quoting, just to clarify) who are feeling the need to point out that this disc is not for them.

I'd wager the vast majority of active DGers out there benefit from an understable fairway driver. My River is my magic disc, I'd be lost without it. Overstability will come from MVP, I'm sure. But their core of devoted fanbase is already there. Certainly can't blame them for wanting to widen that umbrella.

Last edited:
At this point.... MVP discs really haven't been something that work better than what I currently throw. I enjoyed giving trials to the mids and putters (haven't tossed the Volt yet but have several that keep staring at me). I am fairly well known for buying the latest and greatest disc releases in my area and letting others try before they buy. I plan on having MVP added to the club stock because of the recent driver releases. Keep up the good work MVP.

FWIW, I couldn't get my Volt to turn over at all on a normal throw. And I'm not exactly a noodle arm (no big-boy thrower either, though). Isn't flippy a relative term? I mean, I get that 500' power throwers don't break out a RR for big bombing drives. But the way I understood the understable/overstable issue is that big arms CAN throw understable plastic, whereas (seriously) overstable plastic CAN'T be thrown by weaker arms for distance.

So, in regards to distance, "flippy" just means you're throwing it too hard (or suffering OAT), so it's a mechanics thing. "Meathook" would mean you're throwing something you shouldn't be, so it's an equipment thing.

And just to clarify, this isn't meant to bash or insult ANYBODY. If I could throw 400'+ power drives, I'd be using a Destroyer I'm sure. I guess with the new Lace, the Amp, and Opto Air, etc. recently I've been seeing the word "flippy" used ALOT in a negative context. Or people (NOT the post I'm quoting, just to clarify) who are feeling the need to point out that this disc is not for them.

I'd wager the vast majority of active DGers out there benefit from an understable fairway driver. My River is my magic disc, I'd be lost without it. Overstability will come from MVP, I'm sure. But their core of devoted fanbase is already there. Certainly can't blame them for wanting to widen that umbrella.

I think a lot of the "flippy" talk is ego-driven, personally. It makes it sound like you have the biggest and baddest arm out there, and that you have to throw Destroyers to compensate for it.

At the clinic I went to last week, all the pros there spoke about how valuable understable discs can be, but that people don't use them enough. I love an understable disc because I don't have big power, but I think people see it as a negative because they are easier for low-powered players to throw - which by association makes them look weak (in their minds).

The versatility that comes from understable discs can't be overstated. Sure, they suck in the wind, but the ability to shape lines and hyzer flip for late turnovers is done so much easier with understable discs that I find it silly to disparage them so much.

That being said, with the Amp coming out, my Roadrunner is shaking in its boots. I am really curious to see how the overmold affects a truly understable design.

Actually kinda glad it's understable. Don't really have that spot covered in my MVP bag. Still waiting for a Firebird like driver to complete my bag now.

THIS! The Firebird is the only non-MVP disc in my bag and it shall remain until I find something MVP makes that is comparable.

There are times where I want to throw easy anny lines with less effort. Yes I can throw Axis at some nice anny lines, but Fuse is easier for me. Same with Volt, there are times where I want to throw Volt anny lines with less effort and Amp should fill that role. Happy to see MVP making great progress and after Amp, I ll be looking forward for really nice overstable compliment to Volt.

Latest posts