• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Axis

@ Discspeed: Sorta like that tiny bead found on a Voodoo? So as that bead wears in, it may get slightly faster and loose some fade, sorta like a Roc does?

The bead on the Voodoo is so small it's almost like flash, and it most of Gateway's plastic blends it wears off really fast (my one year old organic Voodoo had no semblance of a bead left). The bead on the Axis is the bottom of the core, so it's really thick and round. I don't see it wearing down much if any. As it gets roughed up I'm sure the disc will straighten out even more, but as far as it actually wearing down enough to make the disc faster, I don't know if that will ever happen. That plastic really durable.

Do you see any difference in flight between the colors

I didn't really see any difference in their flights, but I was fighting a pretty stiff wind in my field tests. The pink one was my heaviest as well. I brought some other mids with me for comparison and the axis seemed to fly very much like my 177 gram glo Buzzz. In fact, they landed on each other two or three times in about a half of hour of throws.

As someone earlier said, I too out drove my Axis a couple times with a lightweight, soft Ion throwing both in a tailwind and on big anhyzer lines. Probably just the wind carrying the lighter disc farther though I suspect.

The First Runs are all heavy (considering they are only 1 run = 1 weight range). Production runs hereafter will have a more diverse weight selection.

Do you know when the regular production runs will be available? I assume there will be some under 170g...

ARGGGGGGGGGGG. I just ordered a vector, an ion, and an axis. I think it is time to give mvp a second chance. I was not to thrilled about the ion the first time I used them though so we will see.

I tried to wait but I just couldn't ignore this hype. My 179g Red Axis has been ordered. Then of course I had to pick up one of the untextured ions...and a couple other things as long as I was making an order.

anyone know where i can find a purple axis?
We call it our 'Pink' color though it is closer to a fruity cranberryish pink color. Very tasty.

Just posted this on our facebook page, but figured I would post it here as well. These are all the colors we have for our first runs. Yellow, ice blue, orange, pink, green, and clear(not in pic).

2im9f0w.jpg

oh ok cool! i have one coming then. that pic looks really purple! was gonna say i need a lighter purple to go with a heavy pink :D

I haven't read every post here but what can the axis do for me that my buzzz can't already do. My mids are pretty much covered by buzzzes of varying stabilities. And I'm pretty fond of having 1 mold in my mids without overlap.
Let me ask this, is the axis too similar to the buzzz as to cause overlap? and if so, will this kick my buzzzes out?!

And by the way I really want an axis cuz they look so damn nice!

I haven't read every post here but what can the axis do for me that my buzzz can't already do. My mids are pretty much covered by buzzzes of varying stabilities. And I'm pretty fond of having 1 mold in my mids without overlap.
Let me ask this, is the axis too similar to the buzzz as to cause overlap? and if so, will this kick my buzzzes out?!

And by the way I really want an axis cuz they look so damn nice!

Up until recently my whole internet reputation was staked on the Buzzz...I argued it's virtues with Blake and DGR to death, got titled "resident Buzzz expert", and even co-wrote an article with Timko for the Disc Golf Magazine talking about how the Buzzz was the most groundbreaking and influential discs of the past decade. I've thrown Buzzzes since the first runs came out up until recently...But somehow I knew after I really got into Ions that when MVP made an overmolded gyro neutral mid that it would potentially be better than my Buzzz.

As much as I love Buzzzes, over time I've been forced to be honest with myself regarding the mold's shortcomings. It is a long mid, and takes too much speed on the release to be as accurate as slower/beaded mids on short to medium midrange shots. It also likes to push on a hyzer and hold out straight without fading predictably. When it is doing anything other than riding relatively flat it tends to lose it's lift and fall out of the air. It is absolutely killer at dead straight, chest high 300' shots though.

Now to answer your questions...The Axis shores up on each of the above weaknesses of the Buzzz while still being able to do what the Buzzz does best very well. Considering your stated style, I think the Axis would overlap with your Buzzz more that you want and you would have to choose. Out of each of MVP's discs they've sent me to test, I've never been even close to this excited to see what people think when they start getting their hands on these discs.

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find it:

When are lighter weights coming out?

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find it:

When are lighter weights coming out?
No exact scheduled time. Lighter weights will happen in production runs. The start of production runs slightly depends on the First Runs that are in stores now.

With an Grip line Pure, GL Fuse, Opto pain slightly beat would you say there is room for an ION or Axis? Love the feel of the Med. ION and could replace the pure as a nice driving putter but both seem to slightly overlap.. Thoughts? Co-owner of page picked up a med. ion yesterday and it reminded me a lot of the pure but somehow better which I imagine would be the case with axis vs fuse but not sure there is a NEED for them.

With an Grip line Pure, GL Fuse, Opto pain slightly beat would you say there is room for an ION or Axis? Love the feel of the Med. ION and could replace the pure as a nice driving putter but both seem to slightly overlap.. Thoughts? Co-owner of page picked up a med. ion yesterday and it reminded me a lot of the pure but somehow better which I imagine would be the case with axis vs fuse but not sure there is a NEED for them.

and any difference between the opaque or translucent runs?

There's always room. It'll fall between your Fuse and Pain for sure. Try it out man, its worth it.

Latest posts