• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2 cents on different colored overmolds is - as long as they are consistent by color there shouldn't be a problem. What I mean is an Ion with an orange overmold should fly the same as other Ions with orange overmolds, though that might be slightly different than how a black or glow overmold flies.

The nice thing with MVP is the cores are consistent so the only change would be the overmold were as with the Innova there is a good chance the core be inconsistent and the overmold will be inconsistent and the joining process will be inconsistent.

My 2 cents on different colored overmolds is - as long as they are consistent by color there shouldn't be a problem. What I mean is an Ion with an orange overmold should fly the same as other Ions with orange overmolds, though that might be slightly different than how a black or glow overmold flies.

The nice thing with MVP is the cores are consistent so the only change would be the overmold were as with the Innova there is a good chance the core be inconsistent and the overmold will be inconsistent and the joining process will be inconsistent.

Huh?

A different colored overmold would be a lot easier to do than the glow overmold they have already done.

I would only want to see special overmolds for really special events, one model at a time so it would be easy to keep track of for collections.

I think there are many things that would be easy. But simple does not always yield consistent. In my mind, it's really easy to make Proton drivers. But they might be molding up too domey. Who knows.

Same thing with colored overmolds. Yea, it's easy, but Chad has told me that there are consistency issues when changing around the colors. I know none of us would mind if red (for example) overmolded Axes flew more stable that black overmolds. MVP minds though. It's a refreshing reminder of the company's mission when they could be doing all kinds of mix and match stuff with their discs...but they don't. For consistency's sake. I applaud them for that.

I think there are many things that would be easy. But simple does not always yield consistent. In my mind, it's really easy to make Proton drivers. But they might be molding up too domey. Who knows.

Same thing with colored overmolds. Yea, it's easy, but Chad has told me that there are consistency issues when changing around the colors. I know none of us would mind if red (for example) overmolded Axes flew more stable that black overmolds. MVP minds though. It's a refreshing reminder of the company's mission when they could be doing all kinds of mix and match stuff with their discs...but they don't. For consistency's sake. I applaud them for that.

Easy = not hard. If Proton drivers mold up too domey, then it is not easy to mold Proton drivers. I think it would be easy for MVP to do some special runs here and there with different colored overmolds and get it done to their standards. I've had discussions with Chad and Brad and I understand why they don't warehouse or produce more than 2 colors for their production line, but doing a limited special run here and there where the guys pay close attention would be feasible in the future (if the molding schedule lets up or they get more new machines).

I would rather see more discs, and different plastic runs, than different overmolds. I think regular production Soft N Anodes, and Soft N Ions are very feasible, especially since it's the same core anyway. Plus we still need the Proton Tensor.

Oh, and Discspeed, thanks for teaching me that easy = not hard. I wasn't sure what it meant. :p

Last edited:
Yeah I tried out a soft neutron Ion and these definitely need to be regular production. I would like to see the stock stamp on them.

Agreed MC^ More and more I find myself using it for upshots and off the tee. Its a really nice feeling disc with grip all day compared to even soft protons and seems to land without as much roll or skip. Are you putting with it? Still like my stiff med. protons for inside the circle.

Problem is that their discs aren't that consistant. I bag two of each of their fairway drivers and they all have different PLH and fly differently. From over to under stable it reads like this: Shock2, Volt, Shock1, Amp, Volt, Amp. I have no problem with this, if they were all the same i'd only bag 3 fairways. I like having a few of the same mold that cover different shots. And that sentiment is really just a reality in this sport.

So no, I dont see any excuse for not making soft proton volts and neutron vectors with eclipse overmolds. Maybe they will fly a bit differently but that variation already exists.

I guess the fact that the destroyer mold has changed three times without letting anyone know is ok by you.

Since I don't throw Destroyers...yeah, I'm OK with it. :p

Really it is just the constant Innova bashing vs. MVP doing no wrong that gets on my nerves. If MVP were producing the vast quantities Innova was, I imagine there would be consistency issues too. (This is excepting the Destroyer top changes. That shouldn't happen.)

Problem is that their discs aren't that consistant. I bag two of each of their fairway drivers and they all have different PLH and fly differently. From over to under stable it reads like this: Shock2, Volt, Shock1, Amp, Volt, Amp. I have no problem with this, if they were all the same i'd only bag 3 fairways. I like having a few of the same mold that cover different shots. And that sentiment is really just a reality in this sport.

So no, I dont see any excuse for not making soft proton volts and neutron vectors with eclipse overmolds. Maybe they will differently but that variation already exists.

As much as people like to rag on nolan for being a "hater," he has a good point here. MVP is still a plastics company. Yes, they pay more attention to consistency, which is admirable and appreciated by many, including myself. But there are still going to be inconsistencies. No company is immune from them, thus far.

MVP is consistent within runs, after the first run there is usualy PLH issues, but they are always the same after the second runs in my experience.. nothing wrong with a first run not turning out as intended, they fix it and its consistent from there on out.

MVP is the most consistent company i have found.

Agreed MC^ More and more I find myself using it for upshots and off the tee. Its a really nice feeling disc with grip all day compared to even soft protons and seems to land without as much roll or skip. Are you putting with it? Still like my stiff med. protons for inside the circle.

Warm up putts yeah, but for actual putts I use a two year old white opaque proton thats real soft from use, and nicely puddle topped. Dig the soft N for approaches, feels real similar to the opaque protons did when new. Nothing against the see through proton, I use those too, but I love the feel of the opaque stuff...feels a tad tackier.

nolan, that beefy amp from a fr? My FR amp testers were weird, one in between 2r shocks and current Volts, and one super flippy. All my latest run Amps have done exactly what I expect of them though. Have not thrown any Volts with a lot of high speed turn except for some 168 pinks, which flew with less hss than my 175's.

Last edited:
MVP is consistent within runs, after the first run there is usualy PLH issues, but they are always the same after the second runs in my experience.. nothing wrong with a first run not turning out as intended, they fix it and its consistent from there on out.

MVP is the most consistent company i have found.

They are the most consistent but first runs.. Vector and Axis.. My Tensor sucks but maybe that's not MVP's fault..? I believe the Shock had some issues too initially.

whats up with your Tensor? Seemed like they nailed it from the feedback I'd seen so far. Not OS or something?

whats up with your Tensor? Seemed like they nailed it from the feedback I'd seen so far. Not OS or something?

Not OS at all. It has virtually no fade it seems. Once I got it to go OS but I had to throw it higher then any other disc.. I'm looking into getting an M1 for that slot now.

We can argue the actual consistency of MVP's discs till we're blue in the face. (Although, after FR's, it's pretty much locked down)

What we can't argue is the founders' commitment.

You know, I saw my first MVP mis prints the other day, and I was kind of blown away by them. The only flaws we could find were cosmetic issues with the stamp, and even those were so minor it looked like something that you'd still see on the shelf at a store. Stuff like that just speaks about how much they care about the poducts they put out. They have a lot of enthusiasm for what they do.

Hey mike, I got my soft n ion last week. I used it a lot this past week and really like the way it feels. However I have noticed the soft n has more initial turn out of the hand when compared to my med n ion. The fade at the end is about the same. It seems to fly like my soft p anode. Have you noticed any dif in flights/ release lines between your sofft and med ions? Btw both are 172 and its most noticable on putts.

Status
Not open for further replies.