• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Hmm, I'd need to test more of them to really get a proper picture of the disc, but the one I have behaves consistently and predictably when throwing longer or shorter, and I find it very easy to get distance out of. It's definitely more faster Leo than it is an Eagle, but for what it is it works fine. I also quite like the grip, though can easily understand why other people wouldn't.

There probably are much more stable ones out there, and knowing MVP they won't be satisfied before they reign in the consistency, so I'll wait a few runs before passing proper judgment on the disc. As it stands at the moment it works well as an understable tweener fairway/distance disc, and it powers down nicely for me as well. Though it won't go in the bag, because I'm already carrying FDs which are cheaper and more readily available. =)

That's actually the main thing keeping me from increasing the amount of MVP in my bag (currently ION, Anode and Vector hold steady positions, though the MD3 might be threatening the Vector in the future), they're quite expensive and harder to get than the discs they'd be replacing (D-MD2, S-FD, S-TD), and I've already stacked up on those anyway...

EDIT: Who the hell uses DGCR hype as a reason to do/believe anything anyway? =)

EDIT2: Got a chance to go through a few stacks of Amps and Shocks, snagged myself a proper 2nd run Shock and an average looking Amp (both Stormtroopers). Man, I need to get myself a new Volt, the Amp is understable (mildly so) but it's way more stable than my Volt. Clearly the Volt isn't supposed to be like the one I have.

The 2nd run Shock though is pretty excellent, at least according to my first impression, it's nice and overstable now, and almost all of the 2nd run ones were very very close when it came to PLH, so it'd seem they've started to figure it out.

Hey so I just made an online trade for a guy who said he had a tangent but actually had a tensor. Anyone want to trade me a tangent for an unthrown chartreuse 176 tensor.

I'm responding to Sunspot's post above...not quoting because cutting and pasting on my phone sucks.

First off, regarding the discs I currently own, the Volt is not everything I had hoped after throwing the first protos. I've only had 2 Volts that have good HSS...one is lost and the other is in my bag. It is a very straight disc, sort of like a Star TL. It holds gradual hyzers and anhyzers...Nice disc to have in the bag, but not quite the workhorse I had hoped. If it had the HSS of my good ones with a bit more fade it would be a better line shaper. I can't confirm or deny, but it was certainly my hope that the Volt be fixed like the Shock.

discspeed said:
I'm responding to Sunspot's post above...not quoting because cutting and pasting on my phone sucks.

First off, regarding the discs I currently own, the Volt is not everything I had hoped after throwing the first protos. I've only had 2 Volts that have good HSS...one is lost and the other is in my bag. It is a very straight disc, sort of like a Star TL. It holds gradual hyzers and anhyzers...Nice disc to have in the bag, but not quite the workhorse I had hoped. If it had the HSS of my good ones with a bit more fade it would be a better line shaper. I can't confirm or deny, but it was certainly my hope that the Volt be fixed like the Shock.

You and I want a PD killer. A true workhorse driver. I know MVP will do it. I hope that when they do they don't make the rim as slanted or shallow as the Volt.

discspeed said:

You and I want a PD killer. A true workhorse driver. I know MVP will do it. I hope that when they do they don't make the rim as slanted or shallow as the Volt.

Can anyone give me a quick run down of the plastics MVP makes?

They all seem kind of similar and I'm looking to get a few of the putters.

N, neutron, is a bit stiffer and slicker. It is opaque.
P, proton, is a bit softer and grippier (although many would say that none of their plastics are grippy). It is see through.
Eclipse is just proton with a white/glow overmold.
They do offer soft proton too if you want something with some give to it.

It's a matter of preference. Most pros seem to like stiff fwiw. I think some people prefer soft because it tends to grab the chains more. Not sure this matters much with MVP as the overmold is the same plastic whether the inside is Neutron or proton.

sunspot said:
discspeed said:

I just managed to get one of my Shocks to finally break in a little. It's now flying quite a bit like a new yellow champystar PD...Looking forward to seeing how this works out down the road.

sunspot said:
Here's my reasoning why I think the Volt is overrated:

1. It is hard to range. Too much power, it turns and burns; not enough power, it fades out (even with more stable Volts it does this). I'm not saying it is the worst at ranging distances, but it is not that good at it. It is less like a slightly beat Eagle and more like a slightly beat Valkyrie with less distance potential.

2. The rim width (2.0) should create the potential to go further, but I find it flying like a speed 7/8. I can throw smaller rim discs as far or further than the Volt. I don't think I can ever break 400 ft with a Volt, but I can get the PD to 400ft on a good rip.

3. The shallowness of the rim doesn't bother me as much as the combination of the shallowness and the slanted rim. It doesn't feel as comfortable to grip.

I wanted to like the Volt but couldn't find myself to be satisfied with it.

In my humble opinion, they need to make a less slanted, normal feeling disc that can pushed out further without being too squirrelly. That's why I like slightly beaten EXs and SPDs so much. You can realize it on a hyzer and let it flip up and turn and come back reliably. The EXs can be pushed out further without being too squirrelly. Whether this requires them to make a disc with a smaller rim, I don't know, but I do know that I don't like the Volt.

I've had a different experience with them.

1. I took to them quick because they fly fairly close to my previous favorite driver, a 2.5 year old 1.1 QOLF. Throwing with different power levels and release angles I am essentially able to cover anything between my midrange and max D shots with Volts in mild conditions. I throw it FH & BH with equal success. I think the stability is ideal for a workhorse driver.

2. Mine are going about 450' BH 400' FH. I don't throw any speed 8's or 7's so I can't compare distances there.

3. Grip is always a personal thing. I haven't had issues here, even though when I first handled it I thought the shallowness might be noticeable while throwing backhand. Mine don't have slanted rims as far as I can tell, just double checked too. Not sure what to tell you.

Here's a short video I made showing how I use them for different lines.

I must have gotten a bad version of the Volt. Mine is black, 168 grams, and was flippy out of the box. It does feel comfortable in my hand and is easy for me to get a strong grip and easy release.

I will probably pick up another one with the hopes that it is an as advertised stable version. Maybe they had a problem with this run of black Volts?

I actually came across a pink 168 like that too. I don't know if it were all 168's or just a certain run that flew like that.

The yellow and pastel pink are 175, and my magenta and blue are 170 and fly just as stable as the 175. Dunno what's up with those 168's.

Mike C said:
I actually came across a pink 168 like that too. I don't know if it were all 168's or just a certain run that flew like that.

The yellow and pastel pink are 175, and my magenta and blue are 170 and fly just as stable as the 175. Dunno what's up with those 168's.

My blue 168 is flippy as well. No slant and easy to grip for short fingers. Because i didn't like mine i haven't tried other Volts.

You guys might want to give the proton volts a look then. I'll be posting a video soon of me ripping them hard 400' on different lines and they fly with a beefier HSS than the Neutrons I have.

It looks like a totally different disc and yet it gets competition from other manufacturers. PD and not the most overstable but still overstable Eagles might overlap. Yes Eagle is slower and shorter i know. Proton Volts look power hungry. What happens to the LSS and departure from straight line flight as a percentage of the total distance when you back down the power to 380'? I think that's the maximum i could toss that disc.

If I threw this disc 380', flat release, flat ground, no wind, say 10-15' high, it should remain dead straight or track right up to 5' during the high speed portion of the flight, then fade in the ballpark of 20' left of the release point.

They feel a bit faster out of my hand than the Neutrons, and respond to power a lot differently, but still seem pretty straight when powered down. I have a few shorter flicks in this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weurnQj-wOM

I like the pulled power shots much better because for the low power they don't start the fade early and add to the hyzer quickly but glide forward dominant for a long while. Hmm that makes me wanna try one.