• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Flipflat said:
How's the molding consistency on these Proton Volts?

I've thrown six that were 170-175g and they look, feel and fly identical. I brought them all out yesterday and five different people tried them, and everyone found it effortless to get a dead straight flight before the fade kicked in. Everyone was able to hit 360-380' with them that tried them.

Flipflat said:
How's the molding consistency on these Proton Volts?

I played with Chad and Brad a couple of weeks ago...I had 6 PVolts and each of them probably had about the same. They were all identical pretty much. Brad and I even accidentally switched discs.

These are worthy to be compared to PDs.

Thread revival...just got a 172g yellow Neutron Volt and 172g light blue Neutron Amp in the mail. Flat topped and very high PLH on both, Firebird like PLH. They also look like the same disc. WTF! I haven't thrown them yet but I can't picture how the Amp will fly anything near understable with that high of a PLH.

Anybody else seeing this with newer Neutron Volts and Amps? And if so, how do they fly?

Update, FWIW: 172g Neutron Volt and 172g Neutron Amp...flat-topped, extremely high PLH, both look like a Firebird! I've seen pics of early run Neutron Volts and Amps, with profiles showing dome and PLH, and the 2 that I got are hideous by comparison.

Threw them at a field...fast, very overstable, glideless. And it was breezy which should have aided glide. I throw 1.2 QOLF's as my overstable drivers and these things made the QOLF look like a Sidewinder. I would rate both at 9,5,+1,4, no kidding...they both looked and flew equally overstable. What little turn I got was for a fleeting second before they'd start peeling off fast to the left. Even big annies wouldn't hold at all.

MVP, what did you do??!! I could tell just be looking at the absurdly high PLH on both that they were going to be overstable, but yikes! Too bad, they feel great in the hand and the gyro design let's you get very good snap.

For reference, I throw 380-400 ft at open fields.

I absolutely love the Anode and Tangent, but whatever they did to change the Volt and Amp, it f*cked them up royally. IMHO.

I am low on Amps but I will trade you a Volt of mine for yours if you would like. I will choose one that I know represents their intended flight.

Sucks that happened. For what its worth the latest Volts I got are the straightest speed 9 discs I've ever thrown, and I would like you to experience that as well. Plus I could just throw yours into my Volt cycle and use it plenty.

My most OS Volts are roughly on par with a 1.2 QOLF. Yours sounds strange as hell and I wouldn't mind making a test video with it.

Mike, thanks for the kind offer.

The Volt is actually the less freakish of the two, and the less overstable, slightly. Example: the Amp has a much higher PLH and almost non-existent curvature of the overmold compared even to your first run white Amp you posted pics of next to your red one awhile back. It's also so flat-topped, that looking at its profile it almost looks like the leading edge on both sides is pulling up beyond even flat. It's almost concave. Imagine a very flat or puddle topped Z Buzzz or equivalent.

I think the Amp is the one you'd want a look at, it's so off, but I've already started the process of returning them both.

Thanks again...

The straightest speed 9 is a bold statement considering i have thrown 400' low line drives with no detectable fade hyzer flipped to flat for a perfect laser with a new dx Valk. Naturally they break into flippy with the first contact with anything harder than a grass landing. So seeing how my early Volt flips and fades like a faster Eagle x... straight Volt sounds nice but i need a picture from the side to recognize one seeing how all Volts in my local store look like mine.

He did say, that he's ever thrown.

Curious about the Dx Valks. Never thrown one, but can get them cheap here. Just looking at the profiles in the store, they look like they would be WAY more understable than the Champs. Is that true? Is dome good on a Valk? The champs here come flat or dome.

If you watch Mike C's video of early Neutron Volts and also Disc Nation's video test of the Volt, Amp and Shock together, you can see how straight those Volts are(were). It's been reported that MVP changed the Volt, Neutron and Proton, to be more OS. Why they did this with the newer Shock covering that slot, IDK. Not good, IMO.

Mike also compared his most stable-OS Volts to a fresh QOLF. That's pretty close, but the "new" OS Volt has less glide and harder fade...and mine has higher PLH than my 1.2 QOLF's. So, no mystery there. I also don't know if Mike was referencing a Neutron or Proton Volt.

The Amp is what totally shocked me...mine anyway. Even more OS than the Volt, throwing them together. They both flew like a frickin Firebird, for gawd's sake!

I'd like to try again with the Volt and especially the Amp, to fill that more controllable understable slot, but I won't buy either now without seeing them first. And that's not do-able where I'm at.

PMantle said:
He did say, that he's ever thrown.

Curious about the Dx Valks. Never thrown one, but can get them cheap here. Just looking at the profiles in the store, they look like they would be WAY more understable than the Champs. Is that true? Is dome good on a Valk? The champs here come flat or dome.

Champ Valks are much straighter than DX Valks, not all that lateral 'S' curve type movement.

Interesting...I actually found another Amp at a local store that is also flat-topped with very high PLH...black, 172g. Looks just like my freak Amp...which I'm coming to believe isn't such a freak after all. That's 2 for 2 on Amp's I've seen in person. They had a few Shocks there too, and they looked like an overstable disc, as to be expected. No Volts to compare.

Is MVP joking with the Amp, or what? What happened to drastically change most of the early run Amps that looked and flew understable? I really like MVP's stuff, have the Anode, Tangent, and just picked up an Axis...but this is just bizarre. These freak Amps should have never gone out and they should get them out of circulation. People who may choose the Amp as their first MVP disc, based on its description, are going to be PO'd bigtime when it flies like a Firebird instead of a Roadrunner. They may not come back. I've never seen such a huge miss on a disc, or a specific run, like this.

I wish my Amps were just slightly more flippy. As for Volts, the Neutrons I've tried have been just like Amps, except a little more susceptible to OAT. My Proton Volts have been nice and stable. I doubt I'll buy another N Volt.

BentElbow11 said:
Interesting...I actually found another Amp at a local store that is also flat-topped with very high PLH...black, 172g. Looks just like my freak Amp...which I'm coming to believe isn't such a freak after all. That's 2 for 2 on Amp's I've seen in person. They had a few Shocks there too, and they looked like an overstable disc, as to be expected. No Volts to compare.

Is MVP joking with the Amp, or what? What happened to drastically change most of the early run Amps that looked and flew understable? I really like MVP's stuff, have the Anode, Tangent, and just picked up an Axis...but this is just bizarre. These freak Amps should have never gone out and they should get them out of circulation. People who may choose the Amp as their first MVP disc, based on its description, are going to be PO'd bigtime when it flies like a Firebird instead of a Roadrunner. They may not come back. I've never seen such a huge miss on a disc, or a specific run, like this.

The freak Amps were all among the first sent out. Besides that they are not flippy discs...-2 to -3 on the high speed turn and around 1.5 fade on a 350' shot...So they are still a fairly straight disc all around. I find the high speed turn usuable enough to not carry anything more understable (and my Amp has been well loved), but I don't throw turnover shots from a hyzer release unless I have to.

discspeed said:
BentElbow11 said:

The freak Amps were all among the first sent out. Besides that they are not flippy discs...-2 to -3 on the high speed turn and around 1.5 fade on a 350' shot...So they are still a fairly straight disc all around. I find the high speed turn usuable enough to not carry anything more understable (and my Amp has been well loved), but I don't throw turnover shots from a hyzer release unless I have to.

I guess I got an early one, but also saw another just like it(very high PLH) in a local store, as mentioned above. My Amp had 0 turn...-2,-3 would have been nice. I was intending to use the Amp for hyzer-flip straight-to-turnover drives and anhyzers. Now using a deflashed and beat-in Lucid Renegade in that role. Which is okay, because the Renegade is considerably longer...and easy distance. Now there's a great disc!