• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

I threw my beaten Vector much more today and I must say I'm thrilled with how it flies now. Instead of losing HSS and keeping it's LSS it seems to have done the opposite. The disc is a line holding machine now rather than the helix disc I thought it would become. It has a touch of high speed turn now, but it happens so slowly that the disc just holds it's line while pushing forward. The fade is almost none existent on a low and flat release, but if released with slight hyzer it will flip flat out of the hand and start a slow gradual fade fairly early in it's flight. It really is a different disc now, and it is flying much more like a longer Ion. This is pretty amazing to me considering how overstable the disc started, only exhibiting glide at high speeds. Now I can throw gentle approach shots with it that land flat. I can't believe I didn't do this earlier because the disc that the Vector breaks into may be what I've been wanting the most all along for my primary mid. The Vector may well end up becoming a legitimate candidate for midrange minimalism depending on long it takes to actually become flippy.

How high is the dome on that disc? Is it one of the almost flat kinds or the more common domey hard fading one when new? I just scored an almost flat clear first run yay! It's definitely fading out hard early like the ones with dome do.

Wouldn't increased HSS and diminished LSS with wear be a first in golf discs? Except you say that it now has some turn so it hasn't rally increased in HSS has it? I'm confused about what you are trying to say.

JR said:
Wouldn't increased HSS and diminished LSS with wear be a first in golf discs? Except you say that it now has some turn so it hasn't rally increased in HSS has it? I'm confused about what you are trying to say.
He didn't say HSS has increased, just that it hasn't really decreased either.

jubuttib said:
JR said:
He didn't say HSS has increased, just that it hasn't really decreased either.

This is what he wrote that seems contradictory to the rest of the text and usual experience: "Instead of losing HSS and keeping it's LSS it seems to have done the opposite".

JR said:
This is what he wrote that seems contradictory to the rest of the text and usual experience: "Instead of losing HSS and keeping it's LSS it seems to have done the opposite".
Yeah, I knew you'd think it that way. The opposite he's talking about is that the disc lost LSS and kept HSS, not increased HSS and kept LSS.

JR said:
How high is the dome on that disc? Is it one of the almost flat kinds or the more common domey hard fading one when new? I just scored an almost flat clear first run yay! It's definitely fading out hard early like the ones with dome do.

No increase in HSS...What I was trying to express is that I figured that as the Vector broke in it would start to turn a little out of the hand and still start fading early as it slowed, but this is not how it's working out. Instead the Vector is flying straight. Now I know discs don't actually lose LSS, they lose HSS. However, the high speed turn that the Vector has developed happens so slowly and gradually over the flight that it does not really move the disc off line, but rather delays the fade. This gives the impression in flight that the disc has lost LSS instead of HSS. Basically it's breaking in like a Roc rather than a Sentinel, getting straighter rather than becoming a helix disc.

That sounds more like a beat up q-sentinel to me. They get super straight with delayed fade. I could snap a beat up one 350+ and it wouldn't move off it's line at all

im dyeing a ton of the new run ions.

i think im going to stick to throwing the blasted ones. the new ones feel sticky under the rim...and they dont audibly whip off my hand the way the blasted ions do.

discspeed said:
JR said:

No increase in HSS...What I was trying to express is that I figured that as the Vector broke in it would start to turn a little out of the hand and still start fading early as it slowed, but this is not how it's working out. Instead the Vector is flying straight. Now I know discs don't actually lose LSS, they lose HSS. However, the high speed turn that the Vector has developed happens so slowly and gradually over the flight that it does not really move the disc off line, but rather delays the fade. This gives the impression in flight that the disc has lost LSS instead of HSS. Basically it's breaking in like a Roc rather than a Sentinel, getting straighter rather than becoming a helix disc.

I get that and have seen the same happen to other discs too.

I have to edit a brain fade i had. That clear new flattish top Vector i have does not fade early and hard like domey ones do. So this is straighter and longer. Way longer.

So I just got a couple of 168g Ions (softs) in today, and my first thought was "wow, these feel awesome, what kind of plastic is this?". It's different than the opaque champ/z plastic of the previous runs I throw (proto softs and proto mediums). These are more like star-type plastic (champpy/star?), but nice and soft, and gummy-like. I'm sure they would be floppy, but the over mold is stiff and keeps the disc level in your hand.

Again, these feel great. Quality is good too, the overmold is evenly applied around the disc, and the bead is evenly exposed. Really looking forward to throwing these this evening. :)

Apothecary said:
do you have a habit of using illegally modified discs in competition?

How exactly would you "call him out" on this? Let me run this down for you to show you how your argument is fail:

*Apothecary and Discspeed meet at a tournament*

Apothecary: "Hey, is that beat up Vector right there the one that you illegally modified by accelerating the wear?"
Discspeed: "No."
Apothecary: "Yes it is!"
Discspeed: "Nope, It's a different one."

(Both look at Tournament Director who was listening in)

Tournament Director: "Move along folks..."

Flipflat said:
It's different than the opaque champ/z plastic of the previous runs I throw (proto softs and proto mediums). These are more like star-type plastic (champpy/star?), but nice and soft, and gummy-like. Again, these feel great. Quality is good too, the overmold is evenly applied around the disc, and the bead is evenly exposed. Really looking forward to throwing these this evening. :)
The plastic is the same, however we used a little extra colorant to make the colors more vivid.

cmrichar said:
The plastic is the same, however we used a little extra colorant to make the colors more vivid.
Great job on that. :thumbup:

So, any word on this neutral mid?

Were there not plans to make a complementary mid to the Vector or was I hallucinating as usual?

Also, Glow Ions, what's the word on these?

What I'm saying is, man, I've got these cheeseburgers. They some double cheeseburgers. *feverishly scratches neck*

cmrichar said:
Flipflat said:
It's different than the opaque champ/z plastic of the previous runs I throw (proto softs and proto mediums). These are more like star-type plastic (champpy/star?), but nice and soft, and gummy-like. Again, these feel great. Quality is good too, the overmold is evenly applied around the disc, and the bead is evenly exposed. Really looking forward to throwing these this evening. :)

Sweet, it feels awesome!. Good to know it's the same plastic, same durableness.

Jeronimo said:
Apothecary said:
do you have a habit of using illegally modified discs in competition?

How exactly would you "call him out" on this?

i would get on dgr and quote something incriminating he wrote and click submit and then he would be adequately mocked.

Just another thought on the new run of Ions - I really appreciate how they wrote the weight in silver marker on the overmold - it comes right off with a little rubbing alcohol. So clean! 8)

Latest posts