• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Apothecary said:
Jeronimo said:
Apothecary said:
do you have a habit of using illegally modified discs in competition?

How exactly would you "call him out" on this?

i would get on dgr and quote something incriminating he wrote and click submit and then he would be adequately mocked.

Ah, in that case... Good on ya.

Jeronimo said:
Apothecary said:
Jeronimo said:
Apothecary said:

How exactly would you "call him out" on this?

i would get on dgr and quote something incriminating he wrote and click submit and then he would be adequately mocked.

Ah, in that case... Good on ya.

Sounds like more of a DGCR/Vegan Ray type affair.

After playing some money rounds with my new seasoned Vector I already have 3 people that told me they were going to go home and beat up their Vectors...It is really a beautiful thing.

It's a bit hard comparing this disc to anything else for me since I've primarily thrown Buzzzes for so long, and the disc is not quite like any Buzzz in any stage of wear. If I had more experience with Rocs I could probably find a better comparison because with the Vector's huge bead I'm sure it is flying kind of like some kind of faster seasoned Roc. It simply holds any angle and glides now. Whatever micro bit of high speed turn it gets happens so slowly that it just feels like the disc is gliding. It will fly on a very slight hyzer for the whole flight, or fly on a touch flex shot where the disc is slowly pulling out of the turn the whole flight and ends dead straight. It holds beautiful true anhyzers that pull out forward at the end. Basically it does any shot that does not require high speed turn. Despite the loss in stability, milds to moderate winds still don't really mess with it.

Compared to a Buzzz the new Vector is still a touch more overstable due to the LSS and the fact that it won't flip flat as fast (or at all). While the brand new Vector is great for windy days and power hyzers, the mellowed version is suitable for a much larger percentage of my mid shots. I especially like the fact that now I can throw it at 70-80% and get the flight and distance I want.

the vector: a great disc (so the sponsored-by-mvp guy tells us)...all you need to do to make it great is illegally modify it. :lol:

i agree with discspeed...overstable mids are completely useless.

Jeronimo said:
Apothecary said:

How exactly would you "call him out" on this? Let me run this down for you to show you how your argument is fail:

*Apothecary and Discspeed meet at a tournament*

Apothecary: "Hey, is that beat up Vector right there the one that you illegally modified by accelerating the wear?"
Discspeed: "No."
Apothecary: "Yes it is!"
Discspeed: "Nope, It's a different one."

(Both look at Tournament Director who was listening in)

Tournament Director: "Move along folks..."

actually if i was serious about screwing him over, i would have a new vector handy to show what the bead looks like new and i would have his quotes (and pms that he signed with his name) handy and be like "yeah look at this scumbag. he brags about using his illegally modified disc in competition. look hes got that same disc in his bag now. hes attempting to break the rules."

*shows the new vector at which point it becomes obvious that the bead had been evenly worn down all the way around...wear that wouldnt occur in the wild to primo plastic discs*

*laughs because discspeed cant throw the only vector he actually has a use for :lol: *

The Vector in question is not visibly altered...All we're talking about is a change in texture on the bottom of the bead from contact with pavement and me sanding off the burrs with a microfiber towel. The bead is the same size. It just looks used.

Anyway there are many more appropriate places on this forum to dissect the rulebook than the MVP thread... :roll:

please keep this thread on track....talking about legalities of discs...and modification can be talked about in other appropriate threads...

Back to the Vector...

I must say that in throwing the Vector extensively through the last couple of months and now getting a chance to see how it breaks in that it is one of the most interesting and unique discs I've ever thrown. In a lot of small ways it flies differently than similar discs with a less gyroscopic weight distribution, but those are largely masked by the overstability when the Vector is brand new. A new Vector seems to share more flight similarities with a heavy premium plastic Roc/Wasp than it does with it's little brother the Ion. This is because the Ion, unlike the Vector, has a geometry that plays into the effect of the gyroscopic weight distribution from the get go. Becuase the Ion has a shape that produces a neutral flight, and the gyroscopic effect makes the disc fly straighter, the two forces are working together. It seems like the shape of the Vector is overstable enough to initially trump the gyroscopic effect, or at least mute it at low and medium speeds. However, as the Vector wears in the 2 forces (shape/gyro) come more into balance. This is what I'm seeing with my broken in Vector...It is flying more like a faster Ion with more LSS because the break in has allowed the gyroscopic effect to pull the disc on a straighter line. I believe this is what Chad must have had in mind when he was designing the Vector...To have something with the glide/straight flight gyroscopic benefits of the Ion, but in a more flight stabilizing design for more HSS/LSS/predictability. This broken in Vector has got me very excited about the possibilities of this disc once again.

The break in of the Vector is interesting as well. I'm pretty certain that it is essentially the overmold that is breaking in and affecting flight. The overmold is more like a star plastic where the core is like the most durable champion (or better). I also believe that the bottom of the bead becoming imperfect through repeated impacts has a taming effect on the LSS. So I think that impacts on the overmold cause a reduction in HSS and the abrasions on the bead cause a reduction in LSS. Both allow the gyroscopics to play a larger role in the flight.

I'm absolutely falling in love with my beat up Vector now. Inside 300' it's got the least fade of any non-turning mid I've thrown...And the non-turning part may be the best because it can hold any micro line of release the whole flight. When I power it I do see a little turn, but it's not like a Buzzz at all. The Vector does not flip at all right out of the hand (like the Buzzz), instead it goes out on the angle of release and doesn't start working until about halfway through the flight. This is taking some getting used to, but it makes for some really neat lines. It also makes it more predictable and easier to range. My favorite Vector shot is one that flies straight on a slight hyzer the whole flight, just banking to the left ever so slightly. In can do this high, low, or even skipping on the ground the whole way.

Four 168-9 Soft Ions arrived in yesterday's mail, and I'm already in love. Compared to a beat-up 166 S Wizard, the Ion holds the same line but flies 15-20' further. For approaches or putts, throwing the Ion seems highly intuitive. Best of all, it seems to be a great forehand approach disc, releasing more cleanly than the Wizard and holding the line nicely. I can't wait to get the Ion out on the course, and I can see it becoming the only putter in my bag.

MVP and Chad, thank you for making a run of Ions < 170 grams!

I'm quickly becoming dependent on my beat Vector. As the Vector wears I can definitely say that it loses LSS almost completely before it starts actually turning over. The straightness is now very befitting of the name Vector.

Monocacy said:
Four 168-9 Soft Ions arrived in yesterday's mail, and I'm already in love. Compared to a beat-up 166 S Wizard, the Ion holds the same line but flies 15-20' further. For approaches or putts, throwing the Ion seems highly intuitive. Best of all, it seems to be a great forehand approach disc, releasing more cleanly than the Wizard and holding the line nicely. I can't wait to get the Ion out on the course, and I can see it becoming the only putter in my bag.

MVP and Chad, thank you for making a run of Ions < 170 grams!
:thumbup: I've been flicking my Ion on approaches so much that I may need to speak to a licensed therapist.

Please keep discussions pertaining to disc legality to another discussion thread.

On a side note, who is ready for something new :!: :?:

Latest posts