• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Frank Delicious said:
And we're done talking about discspeed's vector in this thread.

Giddy Up, thank god.

And back to a Ion question. Those of you who putt with them, Discspeed, Apoth, or whoever, what style of putting are you using. Just anecdotally I would think that a putt with spin would be the preferred method with the ion to make the best use of its gyroscopic propertied. I use kind of a modified spin/push putt, which I did not when I use to throw Ions and was wondering what others are doing. For me, I use a summit if the conditions are ok (no big wind) for really long puts or for major uphill puts. I don't throw the summit off the tee much cause if I need a hard turning right shot I FH a zone, and ridges snap flat and hold a good straight line off the tee. But as I remember the Ion is super straight off the tee and will hold great lines and is easy to throw flat straight.

So to highlight my questions in a succinct manner:

What is the preffered Ion putting style?
How tolarant is the Ion to the wind?
Do you drive a lot with your ions and what firmness level seems to be the most consistent for you all?

peppermack said:
Do you drive a lot with your ions and what firmness level seems to be the most consistent for you all?

i go back and forth between a swing hyzer putt (a la nikko) and a nose up, flat spin putt (primary style...see end of this video for examples). the faster the disc is spinning, the more the overmold wants to bite the chains.

the (soft) ion is the best driving putter in the wind ive come across. very little elevator action due to the flex of the body of the disc whereas the meds tend to take quite a ride when its windy.

as far as overall driving, ions in the bag reduced my mid use by about 20% last year. you can crank on them and theyre extremely reliable.

ions are ions. theyre the most consistent (all softs feel the same...same for meds) disc ive ever thrown. ill drive with softs out to about 200' flat. from 200' to about 280' ill usually throw the med (except for downhill shots. for those i prefer the extra glide of the soft). its a preference thing. i learned to throw putters using aviars, then jk aviars, then wizards and feel more confident putting the boosters on my throw with a more rigid putter.

I am happy that I have soft and mediums coming then, thanks for the input Apoth! Are you the Simian toting bearded chap in that video. That putting style is very similar to mine. I keep my arm very straight and generate all the spin from a wrist snap as my arm comes up.

I am excited to get some Ions again and I have a couple vectors coming as well to try out. I am auditioning the vector in the spot that is currently filled by me ESP Hornets.

which one? the one with the pit? that one looked the longest to me. that pit is ob. that putt was for a monster bird.

actually the last one was the longest in that clip. maybe 45' and dangerously downhill.

ya, that last one, fast laser beam putt. would you have had a super long come back putt it you had missed it wide, or with that low trajectory would it still have died pretty close?

Frank Delicious said:
And we're done talking about discspeed's vector in this thread.
I don't think my Vector was the problem. :roll:

peppermack said:
So to highlight my questions in a succinct manner:

I use a variety of putting styles with my Ions(i primarily use mediums, prefer the feel)...They can fly very differently depending on the amount of spin on them, so this really opens up possibilities. With minimal spin they can be pitched straight up and down flat or on a hyzer. With a lot of spin and a little nose up they can be thrown on a B line to the chains. My most dominant style is kind of a hybrid between those two. I throw flat, slightly nose up, and with medium spin. My line is straight at the basket with an apex above my aim point, but not as high as a true pitch putt. When I'm on my putts spin clean.

When it's windy I adopt more of a nose down hyzer putt with a lot of spin, but this is only in 10+mph. Otherwise my normal putt is not that influenced by the wind.

I drive with Ions for all types of straight shots and muted hyzers/anhyzers. I primarily use mediums off the tee because I feel the most control over them. I do however like the softs as well though. I can bomb the softs farther and I also like them for approach shots (especially low ceilings) because they glide and hold their height better with less power. I use mediums off the tee up to 300' or so if wind conditions are permitting. In tighter quarters I usually throw my Fuse past 250' or so. I mostly throw my most broken in proto medium Ion with hyzer. I just love the way it glides compared to a brand new one (they still glide pretty well), and I also like keeping it hyzer. It is understable, but it turns ridiculously slow. As long as I exaggerate my hyzer angle it will hold it. Both my Ion aces are with my proto mediums.

Thanks discspeed, you answered everything I was wondering. I throw a hybrid spin pitch putt too. It has really come together in the last 6 months or so and sometimes my summits and ridges hyzer out sooner than I would like if the speed was not just right. Well I am excited to start my rediscovery of the ion:)

I think I may be jumping on the Ion train... I absolutely love the flight of Wizards but my little baby hands don't like the rim. Heavy-ish mediums sound about right? I can't imagine I'll be using them for regular putting duties but off the tee and as my upshot disc I think I could see myself putting an Ion or two in the bag.

most people fall in love with driving ions.

then they work their way into your practice basket.

next thing you know, youre putting laser beams with them and by then theres no going back.

Well, I'm kind of a hybrid pitch/finger spring putter and I love having both a bead and baseline plastic. The Ion seems to falter in that respect.

I was just doing some putting practice with the newly received ions. To this I say FU ION why are you doing this to me. Now I am selling off the rest of my summits to be replaced by the Ion. I am not sure why I ever decided to go back to the Summit from the Ion? I know that part of it was (and Apoth will be happy that I admit this) my blind fanboyness of Vibram, and I get bored easy.

But this being said, using my normal putting stroke from 40-60 feet I was nailing twice as many putts side by side as when I was using my summits.

and we all need some more info about the news Brad was mentioning :)
another thing: are you planning to run some lighter mediums as well as softs this summer? I need some < 170s for putter-duty... Love the lighter softs as well but I do like the medium stiffness better for putting.

Wyno said:
another thing: are you planning to run some lighter mediums as well as softs this summer?

We have recently produced both lightweight soft and lightweight medium Ions in the 165-169g weight range. They should start appearing in some major retail stores soon.

Latest posts