• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

A couple of days ago my proto soft suddenly turned into a flippy bastard. Sucks, I loved it for long turnovers and anny's, but now it's just flippy like a beat stingray, just dives right. I used to use it off the tee on tunnel shots, but now it needs way more hyzer and height.

But the thing is, the plastic still looks good, prob like a 8 or 9 out of ten. Could probably sell it on ebay for like $30 or something. lol

Flipflat said:
A couple of days ago my proto soft suddenly turned into a flippy bastard. Sucks, I loved it for long turnovers and anny's, but now it's just flippy like a beat stingray, just dives right. I used to use it off the tee on tunnel shots, but now it needs way more hyzer and height.

But the thing is, the plastic still looks good, prob like a 8 or 9 out of ten. Could probably sell it on ebay for like $30 or something. lol

I'll bet that disc is awesome now for hyzer flip drives as well as touch approach shots and long runs. It's hard to get an Ion to hold a short range anny as well, so perhaps yours is ready for that too. One thing is for sure...I can't imagine it would be too hard to trade an Ion lover a broken in Ion, especially since the bigger beaded non-protos take considerably longer to start flipping.

After raving about how the Ion does around the yard, I figured it was worth trying it on an actual disc golf course. Some impressions:

One-word description of the Ion: intuitive. I have only had mine for a week, but the disc does what I expect. On approach shots the Ion was very forgiving, landing near the basket even when I was a little off on my line or angle of release. I am still finding that the Ion flies 10-20 feet further than any of my seasoned Wizards. Nice bonus for a noodle-arm like me. The Ion is also my favorite FH approach putter ever.

For putting, I have not missed the Magic a bit. The Soft Ion feels better in the hand, and holds the line on my push-putt with a touch of annie. I used to putt with the Wizard when I needed to fade around an object, but the Ion handles those putts with aplomb. Could be coincidence or confidence, but I have also been making more of my crappy jump putts with the Ion.

I look forward to trying a Medium or three in lighter weights when they hit the store.

BCR-9er said:
We have recently produced both lightweight soft and lightweight medium Ions in the 165-169g weight range. They should start appearing in some major retail stores soon.

Superb, and all of them with the new tooling and smooth inner rim I hope :)

Now, what about an update on those news :?:

peppermack said:
What is the preffered Ion putting style?
How tolarant is the Ion to the wind?
Do you drive a lot with your ions and what firmness level seems to be the most consistent for you all?
I usually try to putt with a push/spin hybrid, though leaning way more on the push side. I'm currently trying to reacquaint myself with spin putting and the ION does fly magnificently when I get some spin going. The main reason for learning a better spin putt is that I'm completely screwed between 40-70'. =P

ION isn't my favorite for windy situations, though it can certainly handle itself if you take the wind into account. But I've had better success switching to a beat baseline JOKERi when I'm worried about flipping in the wind.

I drive with them all the time and switch depending on the needs of the shot. Mediums are straightest from start to finish, softs are a bit longer and mine tend to have a bit more turn and fade. Though usually I only carry a medium and a proto soft (understable hyzerflip machine, also for very short anhyzers), so I make do with the medium.
Apothecary said:
(primary style...see end of this video for examples). the faster the disc is spinning, the more the overmold wants to bite the chains.
Dayum. Nice putts. There was a fairly long putt near the end (4:50 or so) that didn't arc at all, was it perhaps downhill?

On a side note, I never realized how much work could interfere with forum time, especially when you have to get up at 5:00 AM and most of the action here goes on between 11:00 PM -> 02:00 AM local time.

Well, my local disc supplier got some soft Ion's in and I had to scoop a couple up.
I took them to the course and to the field, and I have to say that these are awesome driving putters. They fly straight, they fly anhyzer, and they fly on spike hyzers. I was throwing them close to 300ft in a tailwind, and in a headwind, I gave them a little hyzer release and they flipped flat and just penetrated. Instant add to the bag. I will still be putting with my challengers, but driving duties are now with the Ion. Nice work MVP.
Here they are, I snagged to only two white ones.
IONS.jpg

Colombo they are great for putting give them a try in a shoot out between the Challenger and the Ion at different distances.

JR said:
Colombo they are great for putting give them a try in a shoot out between the Challenger and the Ion at different distances.

The shoot out will happen today. I really like my challengers, have some nice beat-in ones. I am really attached to them, :lol:

How do 160's Ions fly compared to max weights? In general I throw high 160's so I can get more glide and a little less stability at my altitude, but I'm not sure that applies to the Ion.

Apoth will be happy to know that I now have as many ions as ridges, and my last three summits are up on eBay. Also the vector has replaced the ESP hornets in my bag.

Has anyone noticed any similarities between color and flex on Ions? Awhile back, I traded a buddy a yellow (with a slightly green tinge) Soft (original production, pre-stamping, etc) that you can fold in half pretty easily but still holds its shape otherwise. He keeps asking me if I've found another one with that much flex but all the Softs I've come across don't have nearly that much flex unless you leave them in the sun all day.

I'm going to be near the MVP factory in a couple of days...Perhaps I'll have to sneak in and see what secrets they've been keeping. :lol:

I've tried a lot of putters and several putting styles but the Med Ion just clicks with me. I feel like the basket is 5' closer inside the circle than any other putter I've tried. I also feel that I've got a good chance to make out to 50' and have control to run at much longer putts instead of worrying about the comeback. The stiff grippy fight plate gives me the feel that its going to go where I put it. The overmold doesn't seem anything special to me but the Ion melts like butter into the chains. Has anyone experienced any bad bounce outs like for example what the Yeti did for me when I hit the chains just right/wrong?

I grip with my index along the rim and my fingers and thumb spread back on the flight plate. I give the putt a quick sharp snap spin and don't fully extend my arm, weight on my front right leg with left leg trailing (RHBH.) Surely there's easier DGR jargon to discribe any or all that shit? Please don't let me sound like a FNG forever. Less and less I'm feeling like the fool that stumbled up on my alien avatars who are talking disc science like PLH, domey vs. flat, and plans to nuke the world. Thanks

I've been putting with medium Ions for a long time. They are strong compared to other putters when hitting too high or low. They also stick really well on the right side (for right handers). I've seen some common spitouts of a couple different types as well. The overmold likes to grab chains, and if you hit the left side (right handed) of the chains with any spin they like to spit out. Also, hitting metal without chains is not good with the Ion, so direct pole hits on old mach 3s or other baskets with large gaps between the chains will often come right back out. The only other type of spit out I've seen is one where the disc goes directly into the bottom of the basket and bounces out without hitting chains. That last one is pretty rare though, and I often wonder if the back edge of the disc is catching the Headrick nubs and pulling itself out.

All in all, good putts stick with the Ion. All the spits I mentioned above are bad putts except the occasional no-chains hit on the pole.

I had a scary bottom of the basket bounce from 20' at last Wednesday's singles that I've never seen with my wizards. The leading edge stuck the chains and the trailing rim fell perpendicular hitting the bottom of the basket. It bounced up like a basketball and if it hadn't been a newer deeper basket it would have kept me out of the money. No worries, I'm at the Flood the Hill tourney in Memphis this weekend and probably will be the only Ion thrower there.

Latest posts