• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

I tested my shape yesterday playing 54 holes on a flat short course and got around a dozen slips in putts, approaches and drives with my medium Anode. 54F dry. No way can i use a disc like that on serious rounds. So far the only way to have enough grip in adverse conditions (80 % of the year here) is to spit on my fingers and rub sand on the fingers. Medium Proton plastic is the prime candidate for slips so discs made in that plastic are officially out for anything serious in all but the best summer conditions. At least until i can get my super slick dry hard skin to be grippier. I need to do a test with soft Anode as well but ATM i'm so pissed off that even the soft Ion non see through best laser putter ever is in danger grr. That needs longer term exploration because that beautiful rose has hideous biatch from hell side personality in only slightly colder or wetter weather. I'm so bleeping disgusted and tired of slips. That means i must take plenty of putters out to local courses to drive approach and putt with to see if the medium Anode can hold the spot despite the beautiful flight :-( I don't appreciate the hassle factor. I want base plastic cores to MVP discs even more now. Or rather it may be durable plastic as long as it has great tacky grip.

the soft anodes do help a bit with the grip but they can still be a bit slippery.

iowa is known for crazy stupid humidity and one thing i have noticed that kind of bugs me about my MVP discs is how when they are sitting out in the open on the grass, the clear flightplate will let the sun still hit the grass under the disc. this will cause a miniature greenhouse effect under my disc which means that by the time i walk up to my shot, the entire underside of the disc looks like a sweating waterbottle and usually requires that i bring a towel with me. this is more pronounced if it has rained in the past day or two, but even if the course is completely dry i still get this effect. while this is a minor annoyance at best, it still causes a bit of worry considering the lack of grippyness on MVP plastic. i have had a few times where i didn't wipe down the inside rim quite well enough and have completely blow putts/midrange shots due to a slipping/early release.

InvaderMirO said:
... one thing i have noticed that kind of bugs me about my MVP discs is how when they are sitting out in the open on the grass, the clear flightplate will let the sun still hit the grass under the disc. this will cause a miniature greenhouse effect under my disc which means that by the time i walk up to my shot, the entire underside of the disc looks like a sweating waterbottle and usually requires that i bring a towel with me. this is more pronounced if it has rained in the past day or two, but even if the course is completely dry i still get this effect. while this is a minor annoyance at best, it still causes a bit of worry considering the lack of grippyness on MVP plastic. i have had a few times where i didn't wipe down the inside rim quite well enough and have completely blow putts/midrange shots due to a slipping/early release.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. I quit throwing all my MVP stuff for various reasons, but this one always bugged me...

MVP Ion is the best putter for grip i have ever used.. i just clip a towel to my belt loop and always have it to whipe down my discs if they are wet/dirty/etc.. when an ion is dry it is by far the best grip and slight tacky feeling putter i have ever used.

If you guys can remember the second run ions with the rough plastic under the lip of the disc, i wish they would make the new putters with this rough feel all around the disc covering it 100% and it would be the perfect disc i could ever ask for

plex said:
MVP Ion is the best putter for grip i have ever used.. i just clip a towel to my belt loop and always have it to whipe down my discs if they are wet/dirty/etc.. when an ion is dry it is by far the best grip and slight tacky feeling putter i have ever used.

If you guys can remember the second run ions with the rough plastic under the lip of the disc, i wish they would make the new putters with this rough feel all around the disc covering it 100% and it would be the perfect disc i could ever ask for

This past weekend, I used my Ions for putting and noticed that the plastic was getting really sticky in the heat/humidity. Had some putts that just stuck to my hand. Never had this happen with any other putter (even premium plastic). Long story short, Ions got booted for putting duties and now I only carry one for drives. Not sure if it will keep that spot for very long either.

Crosseyed0811 said:
InvaderMirO said:
... one thing i have noticed that kind of bugs me about my MVP discs is how when they are sitting out in the open on the grass, the clear flightplate will let the sun still hit the grass under the disc. this will cause a miniature greenhouse effect under my disc which means that by the time i walk up to my shot, the entire underside of the disc looks like a sweating waterbottle and usually requires that i bring a towel with me. this is more pronounced if it has rained in the past day or two, but even if the course is completely dry i still get this effect. while this is a minor annoyance at best, it still causes a bit of worry considering the lack of grippyness on MVP plastic. i have had a few times where i didn't wipe down the inside rim quite well enough and have completely blow putts/midrange shots due to a slipping/early release.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. I quit throwing all my MVP stuff for various reasons, but this one always bugged me...

This happens with most all discs in premium plastic that are not opaque.

i know this may have been said more than a few times, but why wouldn't mvp opt for a more baseline and grippy plastic for the flight plate, and the outer rim be premium? then maybe i would be interested in their products. For some reason i cant stand the feel of their plastic...

I like the grippy stuff on the rim, I'm just wondering why they can't mix that stuff with the flight plate stuff to get some kind of base plastic/star material going. Not like I'm unhappy with the current feel, it just would be nice to have options for when winter rolls around.

I'm sure they've dabbled with such things, but they won't release anything until they can make them totally consistently. That's one aspect of MVP that I like more than anything, they are very dedicated to build quality and consistency. The current IONs do fly differently than the old ones, but every run has been very consistent and all of the changes that have happened have been done on purpose, optimizing the production procedure. And the difference between old IONs and new IONs is smaller than the difference found in any particular batch of e.g. Wizards.

I want MVP to make a chalky core plastic and use the same overmold plastic on its putters, then i might sell my soul

plex said:

i LOVE my ION with the textured bottom. i really wish they would continue to do this.
i also can't understand why all they dont make non-transparent plastic anymore... i have never been a fan of the clear plastic when i dont have to throw it : ex : champion/opto/crystal Z

yes they should texture the entire disc in my opinion.. it would make the grip perfect, i hope they can do this as it would make the Ion PERFECT for me in every way possible.. thats the only thing more i could ask for.

AT MINIMUM, the entire bottom should be textured (for fan grips) and about 1 1/2 inch ring around the top should be textured for thumb placement.

if MVP is listening, PLEASE do this.

I get the greenhouse effect even on ground rubber based soccer field after a week of dryness in the summer heat. Morning dew can last to beyond noon here close to the sea. Top texture would be better than the bottom of the flight plate Ions had. Ion was probably changed also due to listening to the customers so kudos to that and lets hope for chalky base plastic core roughened surfaces discs :) I own Soft Ions in clear, Eclipse and non see through material and the non see through softs are the best laser putters there are bar none flight wise. I have soft Anode as well but i didn't have it with me in that test session. 54F and slick fingers are an issue. I wouldn't wanna carry a bag of dirt to get grip to my fingers. In warmer temps i'm sure the grip will be better but that is so little a part of the year here.

For those who have finger sticking issues with primo plastics when moist (not wet) a towel is a must. In cold weather doing the same=getting a thin cloud of mist between the plastic and the skin adds grip. You get it easily by blowing to the fingers (shut up Ray and Frank hehe). There's a bonus in warming up the skin to gain more grip there too so it's a win win situation. It is weird that a dry disc is less grippy than one with thin mist in between the plastic and the skin and if the moisture gets to be thicker than a mist you are so out of luck. Especially with putts with primo slick hard plastic. Softer plastic gives under the thumb thus increasing the surface area of skin vs plastic and tackiness of hard plastic is nil with putts that need to have a lot looser grip than drives. Or you lose accuracy and power in the putt by slowing down the arm motion in a putt tensing the forearm and fingers by clenching down with the thumb. Dave Dunipace mentioned the overriding need to accelerate in the putt beyond other concerns in one episode of Deep In The Game video series. I agree fully.

InvaderMirO said:
i also can't understand why all they dont make non-transparent plastic anymore... i have never been a fan of the clear plastic when i dont have to throw it : ex : champion/opto/crystal Z
Same plastic, different colorant. It does affect the properties of the disc, admittedly, but chemically the plastic itself is still the same.

jubuttib said:
InvaderMirO said:
Same plastic, different colorant. It does affect the properties of the disc, admittedly, but chemically the plastic itself is still the same.

that makes sense.

what i am referencing is purely preference. if i go into a shop i would in general purchase star plastic over champion about 90% of the time simply because i have more trouble locating clearish discs and the bit of added grip is just more of a placebo bonus. if i throw out my greenish or purple MVP discs i can never see them as well on the grass as i can my solid white ION.

Opaque softs fade less in putts so they are the best regular ones. Early obscured bead ones compete or even beat those depending on the individual. Under max weight is even straighter with less drop so aiming is easier and the arm stroke is more repeatable thanks to lesser power requirement.

driverc.png

The image looks like an Eagle almost!

What do you guys think?

both-eagles.jpg

this is a horrible strip tease :eek:

Im sure the GYRO tech will make it fly differently, so the shape will surely be slightly different

JR said:
That is a plus configuration rim.
Not really. All rims have a little bit of slant to them, they'd be really tough to get out of the molds without it. A proper +mold has way more slant than that.

Latest posts