• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

Interesting. My Matrix's are from the first run and they all show more high speed turn than any Reactor I've thrown. Maybe they've tweaked the mold over the years.

Yes, my old one is nothing like this new one. The old one is close to a Truth actually. New one is like a slower Verdict.

Yes, my old one is nothing like this new one. The old one is close to a Truth actually. New one is like a slower Verdict.

Sounds like the mold was tweaked then. My old ones fly very similar to the Truths I've thrown - maybe 5/5/-1/1 or so.

I'm in a bit of a funk. This past weekend I was finally able to get an Uplink and Paradox (dang, those can be hard to find). But now I'm oncall for my job and can't be more than 15 minutes away from my home. I'm just itching to get out to the field and see how these two discs fly compared to my other 5 speeds. Will they make the bag? Will they go on my shelf? What purpose will they serve on the course? I'm hoping one of them or both are truly understable for me (ending their flight to the right when thrown RHBH).....if one or both do that, I have a friend I'll introduce to them. He's got a poor forehand and his RHBH anhyzer leaves a bit to be desired....he really struggles with holes where the disc has to go right. If the Uplink or Paradox do that, I might get him to start bagging MVP/Axiom. But mainly I want them to work for me. Next Tuesday can't get here fast enough....that's when I'll be off oncall status and can get to the field.

Managed to sneak out to the field yesterday to try out my Uplink and Paradox. The Uplink is fun.....throw that flat RHBH and it goes right with no "come back" to the left. I love it. And I think my friend will like trying it also since he doesn't have a forehand. The Paradox is a different creature.....it just kept dumping and rolling. I don't have that disc figured out yet and I don't think it can be thrown flat (by me). I've got to get back out and try it on different hyzer angles to see what works best (if anything actually works). So the Uplink is going in my bag....the Paradox needs a bit more field work.

Paradox is definitely utility flippy. I bag one and absolutely love it for when I need to throw patent pending and know something will flip up and turn left in a short space. I use it most for short rollers where I want to throw soft and really control distance over a short roll but still flip up and finish right. I use it regularly for a really tricky low ceiling shot on our local course. I get fairly regular C1 or C2 looks where the aggressive lines often result in hitting early and having to scramble.
Guys who have been around a while would liken it to a broken in DX Stingray, which was a disc in many peoples bags.

Paradox is definitely utility flippy. I bag one and absolutely love it for when I need to throw patent pending and know something will flip up and turn left in a short space. I use it most for short rollers where I want to throw soft and really control distance over a short roll but still flip up and finish right. I use it regularly for a really tricky low ceiling shot on our local course. I get fairly regular C1 or C2 looks where the aggressive lines often result in hitting early and having to scramble.
Guys who have been around a while would liken it to a broken in DX Stingray, which was a disc in many peoples bags.

Hmmm, Patent Pending throws....I'll have to try that. I have trouble with those and maybe the Paradox will be the answer. As for a roller, I threw one shot RHBH and the Paradox hit the ground and rolled left, way way left. Of course, that wasn't an intentional roller, so maybe intentionally rolling it will have a different outcome.

Thanks, I now have some things for me to try in the field.

Yup baby sky rollers are great with the paradox not powered up disc flips itself kind of roller. I throw em 40-50% power on the angle I want em to land somewhere between 10-30' high and let em roll. Messing with them in the field I am pretty comfortable in the 200-360' range. Longer than that I step up to a Chameleon, Vortex or Wave depending on the shape needed.

Hmmm, Patent Pending throws....I'll have to try that. I have trouble with those and maybe the Paradox will be the answer. As for a roller, I threw one shot RHBH and the Paradox hit the ground and rolled left, way way left. Of course, that wasn't an intentional roller, so maybe intentionally rolling it will have a different outcome.

Thanks, I now have some things for me to try in the field.

I don't throw patent pending very often, but when I do, it's usually near, or in, the basket with a Glitch.

Simon-Fission_Proxy_MusicCity-White-500x500.jpg

Well the MCO disc is a fission proxy, also coming fission fireball 145g-175g and the regular release of the echo.

One of the guys I play with a lot throws mainly MVP and he's a very good player. A lot of the guys in our league give him so much crap for throwing mainly MVP.

I don't get it at all, I don't throw a ton of gyro(just Envy/Flare ITB currently) but in 2023 how can anyone believe that their discs are anything other than high quality? Maybe they haven't hit it perfect with a distance driver that is universally loved by the masses but their lineup is really good these days…

. A lot of the guys in our league give him so much crap for throwing mainly MVP.

I don't get it at all, I don't throw a ton of gyro(just Envy/Flare ITB currently)

Same. I mean, I can see how one would choose other stuff(I do for most things) but I cannot understand giving anyone crap about it. The only thing keeping me from an MVP/Axiom driver lineup is nothing that seems to go with Waves. I was almost there with Octane/Mayhem/Catalyst, then had shoulder pain resurfaced and had to power down for the sake of my arm for a bit. May revisit as I get my strength back.

One of the guys I play with a lot throws mainly MVP and he's a very good player. A lot of the guys in our league give him so much crap for throwing mainly MVP.

I don't get it at all, I don't throw a ton of gyro(just Envy/Flare ITB currently) but in 2023 how can anyone believe that their discs are anything other than high quality? Maybe they haven't hit it perfect with a distance driver that is universally loved by the masses but their lineup is really good these days…

Is the crap he's getting actually about the discs, or for being a "fanboi"?

As someone who throws all MVP (except a stego), I get a lot of the snarky comments that are usually related something to being a noob cuz I'm just throwing what's super popular at the moment, especially since the Conrad shot and the Simon hype.

Nobody cares that my bag has been all MVP since 2018.

LOL, I hear you. My first ace ever was with an early run Anode, and people love to assume I paid a huge premium for the first run Volts in my bag.

Honestly I think a lot of the MVP hate goes back to the early days. There was loud skepticism surrounding how much Gyro actually affected flight. Factor in the other "disruptor" brands with big claims (Salient with their gigantic oversized driver that was going to provide easy distance to the masses and Prodigy claiming to have reinvented CE plastic) and a lot of the skepticism from fans of legacy brands like Innova, Discraft and Gateway was justified. Despite that, hardcore MVP fans (myself included) bought in hard and fought back against the claims that it was a gimmick that did nothing, which did add to the tension. Add to that the fact that MVP discs came at a cost premium and some of the resistance was understandable.

I would also have expected the distain for MVP to have faded over time with the growth of the sport, the success of many new brands and the increase in prices over the last couple of years. Honestly though, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. I still feel nothing but contempt on the rare occasions I think of Salient, and am not sorry to see Prodigy struggle due to the way their early advertising rubbed me the wrong way. So it's probably fair to recognize that some of the old guard will probably never give MVP a fair shake and tbh, that's their loss.

Is the crap he's getting actually about the discs, or for being a "fanboi"?

As someone who throws all MVP (except a stego), I get a lot of the snarky comments that are usually related something to being a noob cuz I'm just throwing what's super popular at the moment, especially since the Conrad shot and the Simon hype.

I could almost get onboard if it was fanboi stuff and he is somewhat susceptible to marketing, but also one of 3 best players in our league. They are basically just saying that they discs are bad/gyro is a myth as he beats them by 5-10 strokes lol.

I could almost get onboard if it was fanboi stuff and he is somewhat susceptible to marketing, but also one of 3 best players in our league. They are basically just saying that they discs are bad/gyro is a myth as he beats them by 5-10 strokes lol.

Gyro could be(is?) a myth, but that doesn't necessarily mean that MVP discs are bad. It's a marketing gimmick. Those people just sound like haters looking for something to hate on.

I hate innova for no good reason, I was a DC fan for a while.. Comet still hangs out, I hate flashing so as much as I liked the Tursas and the bolt I basically kicked trilogy to the curb, Prodigy names annoy me, DD is stupid iwant to shoot the deputy not the sheriff.... Might have thrown some DM if it wasn't so DaM expensive.

MVP worked for me, electrician friendly names and it was a cool niche company before the fan parade. It just kinda seeped in and took over. I was throwing this stuff before Simon, gawd help me if he'd taken to Envy's... JC was bad enough for me and my third lifetime of backups.

There was a discussion at last league about that, someone asked how I felt about Simon and "your brand" . I liked the idea it was "my brand" haha. A lot of people that bag gyro around here have me to thank or hate for it :D There's probably more glitches per capita in Sunday dubs for no other reason than I gave one each to two buddies and then their friends threw it..... I also ran a dealer order back in 2012 so there's 40 extra discs in the world before any local suppliers were carrying them. (I pushed one of the suppliers for gyro haha)

Last edited:
I have been mostly MVP (and of that mostly Axiom) since about 2014 when the Envy and Alias came out. I had a few holdouts, but it was around that time that I did an MVP vs Trilogy bag challenge for myself over the summer and decided I shot about the same, but liked the feel of the MVP stuff better and had an all MVP/Axiom (except for the Verdict) bag pretty much ever since. Once I committed, I got some occasional comments, but nothing too bad. But honestly, even before then, when I was throwing mostly Trilogy, I got some comments from the old guard who mostly threw Innova or Discraft about how I'd never play well until I got myself some "good discs" (as said commenter over torqued a Destroyer and overthrew the hole we were on by almost 100').

I've thrown plastic from all the major brands and a lot of the smaller ones as well. I throw most all MVP for a couple reasons. One, there are just so many molds/plastic varieties (from all brands), etc. that make the options for a speed 9 neutral driver feel overwhelming. So it's a bit laziness on my part but I just don't want to spend that much money trying so many discs when it's most likely the archer and not the arrow. Oh and most MVP discs (for me!) are comfortable to hold and have next to no flashing.

The second reason is I am an engineer and their dual molding process is unique. The science behind what they are doing is very interesting and their drive to achieve high-consistency between runs is exactly the kind of company I like to support.

Gyro could be(is?) a myth, but that doesn't necessarily mean that MVP discs are bad. It's a marketing gimmick. Those people just sound like haters looking for something to hate on.

Look...I'm not going to go into this because (see above) it's more often the archer and not the arrows. But as an engineer, with a degree in aerospace and a focus in aerodynamics, gyro is most certainly not a myth.

The question isn't: does this actually work? The question should be: is there a quantifiable and tangible difference? The reality is that 99% of us amateurs are not going to be able to repeatedly throw a disc the same velocity, spin rate, hyzer angle, nose angle to make a measured difference.

tl;dr...find the plastic circles you like best (for whatever criteria you'd like to use to filter) and throw them and have fun. I have absolutely stopped trying to explain the physics of it all because no one actually seems to care...

Last edited:
I've been exclusively overmolds for a while because the discs work well for me. I like the plastics, the molds, the flat tops, the highly visible multi-colored discs in the context of filming, etc.

I try other discs all the time and if I like them enough I'll bag them. I throw Wizard rounds sometimes out of nostalgia, I've field tested random drivers like the River, Shryke, Athena, King etc.

I buy stuff from other companies sometimes. Zone OS is what I'm currently shopping for.

I also have no issue recommending other brands to people. I've gotten a lot of beginners hooked on Wizards, Fuses, the Buzzz, Leopards etc.

I dunno how much of a difference gyro makes, but I've always felt like the overmolded discs I bag tend to lock on to their line better than similar discs without overmolds.

If I take my proxy and throw it 300' with hyzer, I expect it to hold that hyzer. Same throw with X non overmold neutral putter, I expect to flip up to flat a bit more.

Not a massive difference. I can make an all Innova bag work for me, or a mixed bag. I could throw Judges and Rocs and Teebirds and D2's and still play pretty well.

But I like bagging all MVP / Axiom because it keeps the disc feel and disc flight more consistent across the board

I'm very happy with my bag. If it bothers someone else I bag all one company without a financial incentive to do so, that's their problem. I found what works for me.

Look...I'm not going to go into this because (see above) it's more often the archer and not the arrows. But as an engineer, with a degree in aerospace and a focus in aerodynamics, gyro is most certainly not a myth.

The question isn't: does this actually work? The question should be: is there a quantifiable and tangible difference? The reality is that 99% of us amateurs are not going to be able to repeatedly throw a disc the same velocity, spin rate, hyzer angle, nose angle to make a measured difference.

Just to clarify my point, I know the science of gyro is definitely real. I was saying it's benefits in DG are yet to really be proven.