• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP discs, tips required

MvpForest

I posted this in the wrong thread at first. Dont know how to delete it from there. But here it is again in disc thread where it belongs. I'd love to hear your opinions and tips about my questions.

Hey, I have been playing disc golf about four years and have just this year become way more consistent. 4months ago I made a decission that turned my inconsistinecy to consistency. A year ago in my home course my results were something between +8 at best to + 18. Now my results are -1 to +3 from last month. I switched my whole bag to axiom / mvp. I want your opinions about my bag, if there is something missing and what I should do next.

My bag: Axiom Shuttle bag. This bag is ok, i can put 20+ discs in it but I'd love to have a bag big enough so I can put my jacket in it if necessary. But i have became so big fan of mvpdiscs that I do not want to buy a bag from other manifacturers. Tips on bags much obliged.

My main putting putter is electron soft envy 175g. I've had succes with it lately but I feel it may be a tad too overstable so I already ordered an electron soft Ion. My putting style is spush hyzer. This is one thing that I have became consistent with. I have my pinky on the rim, and index finger on the outside of the rim and other two fanned out. I picked Envy because it is so low profile but I feel now that im more consistent with my putting style I might be ready to change to thicker putter Ion. I like electron soft plastic because it gives good amount of spin even that I dont have to press the putter from anywhere.

My throwing putters are:
Eclipse envy 175g hyzer / Straight. I can throw it about 70metres constantly. I throw it off the tee most often of my putters. It does not flip from my throws.
Neutron Proxy 175g on hyzer angle it pops up to straight and goes about the same distance as my envy.
Neutron Entrophy 173g This is my main approach disc. I throw envy a lot more of the tee but I feel entrophy is way more consistent in certain situations. If the approach shot needed is straight then i pick my proxy and hyzerflip it since it flips so easily.

Neutron reactor 175g just understood how I should throw it. I can get it up to 80- 90metres on hyzer angle. I get a bit more distance out of it than my putters.
Neutron Alias 175g I like to hyzerflip it up to 80m straight holes. Takes tourque way better than proxy.
Neutron Deflector 171g this is so overstable that I rarely use it and I have not had so good succes with this. This flies pretty low distances with my throws.

Plasma Volt 167 This is for longer hyzers. About 100 metres+ and I throw this one.
Neutron Fireball 171g 80m sharp hyzer and this is my go to disc. If I must throw forehand I almost always use this one.
Neutron Impulse 172g on max hyzer i can flip it over and it goes right after 60 metres. This is a must have in my bag since I dont do forehand off the tee.
Plasma insanity i have 2 of these. Released on hyzer angle they flip up and mostly go dead straight for 110 -120metres. Sometimes they even go right from hyzer angle if I throw them too hard. This is the disc I can throw my longest constant throws.

Neutron Photon 160g. Long hyzers, sometimes I get the flip but not often.
Neutron Vanish 160g i feel I could get the most distance out of this but it flies pretty inconstant so I rather pull my insanity as my max distance driver.
Neutron mayhem, just put it in bag. Havent thrown yet but Im quite certain I cant throw it yet like i would want.

My style is 99% backhand with 3 finger stack grip. If I throw with powergrip or 3 finger powergrip I get noseup releases from time to time and no snap. My forehand throws are quite awful. I have been wondering if my old sport injuries are the reason my wrist does not turn so much as most people. Thats why my grip is a bit different. I place the disc between index and mid and on top of the base of the thumb.

My metrix rating is currently 900~ trending up since I have became constant with my throws but I'd like to improve. I'm sure discs make a big difference and i've been wondering if i should go even all plasma drivers. Or if I should force the forehand to become consistent but i always go back and forth with my FH grip and sometimes some else grip works and the next throw it wont thats why i change it all the time....... At my best FH drives I have been able to throw about 70m but it's very inconsistant. I have watched a lot of instuctional videos but most of them haven given me anything.

What to do next? Do i need to keep working with my current setup until it starts working or keep switching. Im most constant with my insanities, and envy. Most inconstant with my distance drivers and entrophy.

And bonus question: Did my form improve or did mvps gyro discs hide some of my flaws or why did I get way better after the swap? A bit of both?

Take this all with a grain of salt of course....
Since you feel fairly comfortable with these discs, I would not keep switching or adding other discs at this point. I would throw a limited number more often and get the feel of them and see what they can really do with different release angles, power levels, wind conditions, etc and really get to know them. Once you really know the ins and outs of a few main discs then you can see if you have a hole in the lineup where you may need to plug something in to cover a gap. Since you are new to the MVP/axiom lineup you might find that some of the discs perform different than you first thought once you throw them numerous times in various situations.

For example, I love the Alias and use it exclusively for FH approach shots and I tend to have great touch and accuracy with it, but at first I threw it BH and it was pretty blah for me. So once I toyed around with it I found it had a nice home in my bag for many shots that I didn't use it for at first.

Also, I tend to throw many MVP/Axiom discs and really like them, but I highly doubt that the gyro alone really unlocked something or is hiding your flaws. Just like any manufacturer they are "different" in their own way. They may just happen to suit your form/style better than other molds, but it is likely a combination of things (had a few good rounds at a coincidental time, played in better conditions, hit some lucky shots, had more confidence because the new discs "work better", etc).

As a final aside, if you were to ask what other discs might be a nice add for you, I would recommend the Crave or Relay. I really like both of these and use them quite often in a round.

Tips for MVP discs? Throw Nose Down!!

What to do next? Do i need to keep working with my current setup until it starts working or keep switching. Im most constant with my insanities, and envy. Most inconstant with my distance drivers and entrophy.

And bonus question: Did my form improve or did mvps gyro discs hide some of my flaws or why did I get way better after the swap? A bit of both?

Yes current setup, I would say the insanity is about as fast as you should be messing with, but if you have heavy wind then I get the need for some beef.

That Vanish is a great flyer, it's not the disc! :). It could be a little fast. I highly recommend a Relay. The Crave is good but if you are liking the volt they're pretty similar.

Yes MVP discs made you better!!! Beyond a doubt! :D. Actually it's funny the Ion made me better and that's why I'm a hardcore gyro pusher.

Gyro does not like nose up throws, more than any other disc they will punish yo ass but they also reward good throws. They can also handle a lot of clean spin/snap without turning, even the lighter weight discs.

Last edited:
Take this all with a grain of salt of course....
Since you feel fairly comfortable with these discs, I would not keep switching or adding other discs at this point. I would throw a limited number more often and get the feel of them and see what they can really do with different release angles, power levels, wind conditions, etc and really get to know them. Once you really know the ins and outs of a few main discs then you can see if you have a hole in the lineup where you may need to plug something in to cover a gap. Since you are new to the MVP/axiom lineup you might find that some of the discs perform different than you first thought once you throw them numerous times in various situations.

For example, I love the Alias and use it exclusively for FH approach shots and I tend to have great touch and accuracy with it, but at first I threw it BH and it was pretty blah for me. So once I toyed around with it I found it had a nice home in my bag for many shots that I didn't use it for at first.

Also, I tend to throw many MVP/Axiom discs and really like them, but I highly doubt that the gyro alone really unlocked something or is hiding your flaws. Just like any manufacturer they are "different" in their own way. They may just happen to suit your form/style better than other molds, but it is likely a combination of things (had a few good rounds at a coincidental time, played in better conditions, hit some lucky shots, had more confidence because the new discs "work better", etc).

As a final aside, if you were to ask what other discs might be a nice add for you, I would recommend the Crave or Relay. I really like both of these and use them quite often in a round.

Thank you for your reply. I already have both relay and crave in my closet. Just removed crave from the bag because of the overlap between insanity and alias. Maybe I should add it back...

But this is what I actually needed. I'll stick with my current setup for now.

Yes MVP discs made you better!!! Beyond a doubt! :D. Actually it's funny the Ion made me better and that's why I'm a hardcore gyro pusher.

Same experience here! Also, after my success with the Ion, I started looking at more MVP discs and stumbled into the Insanity. That was an absolute game changer for me in my early days. First disc I could reliably and accurately hit 300' with.

Tips for MVP discs? Throw Nose Down!!

Yes current setup, I would say the insanity is about as fast as you should be messing with, but if you have heavy wind then I get the need for some beef.

That Vanish is a great flyer, it's not the disc! :). It could be a little fast. I highly recommend a Relay. The Crave is good but if you are liking the volt they're pretty similar.

Gyro does not like nose up throws, more than any other disc they will punish yo ass but they also reward good throws. They can also handle a lot of clean spin/snap without turning, even the lighter weight discs.

Thanks for the reply.

I did not know mvps were more unforgiven with nose up throws. Thanks for the insight.
I also noticed that they handle a lot more power at lower weights without turning over. Maybe thats why they suit for me so well.

MVP makes everyone better who dare to test. I'm very happy I finally made the switch. At first I only had Envy and Volt and they both worked well all the time.

Same experience here! Also, after my success with the Ion, I started looking at more MVP discs and stumbled into the Insanity. That was an absolute game changer for me in my early days. First disc I could reliably and accurately hit 300' with.

This is me exactly. Maybe I should copy your bag since you have been at my point a while ago? 😁

This is me exactly. Maybe I should copy your bag since you have been at my point a while ago? 😁

Ha I would say that my current setup wouldn't be terrible for someone like you. Id maybe skip the higher speed Waves in favor of the Insanity Wrath combo. And the crave/volt/wrath end up overlapping a lot, I'm likely dropping the volt at some point. I'm also rocking some now OOP discs too.

Also.....if you thought the Entropy went nowhere for you......the Stego I bag goes only 1/3 that distance.

But just choosing discs from what I currently bag, I'd say most newer gyro players could roll with:

Wrath
Insanity
Crave
Relay
Resistor
Axis
Matrix
Ion(or Anode)

and be covered for a long long time.

I'm going to risk being "that guy" and suggest that the OP feels like it's probably running in the wrong direction? It seems to me very unlikely that you knock 9 to 15 strokes off of your typical round by switching to a single disc manufacturer. Also, what kind of courses were you playing where you were frequently throwing +18?

Between that, the max distances being reported, the hints that high-speed drivers don't really perform for you, the fact that you apparently don't ever release anhyzer, and don't ever mention anything about form ... it makes me wonder whether the real key going forward is to at least assess how good your form is. It's possible that this will be the key to unlocking long term satisfaction.

I could be totally off base here, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I like devil's advocate and taking the other side too haha..

FWIW when I bought my first Ion (2nd run) off eBay direct from the boys I was between putters or at least kinda shaky. Largely Magic/Rhyno my form was rough(er), everyone on DGCR was raving about the ion holding lines and I couldn't throw it worth crap, it hurt my arm. Geared back to ion and a comet for 3 months... and here we are.

If you want to believe in a "magic" disc manufacturer or "blue/pink/yellow" whatever if you feel like it's the key stick with it!! Results are results and confidence is key.

That being said a Comet is always a good decision!

It's the only non gyro disc I bag and it's praise here is warranted, never would have bagged a comet without DGCR

I'm going to risk being "that guy" and suggest that the OP feels like it's probably running in the wrong direction? It seems to me very unlikely that you knock 9 to 15 strokes off of your typical round by switching to a single disc manufacturer. Also, what kind of courses were you playing where you were frequently throwing +18?

Between that, the max distances being reported, the hints that high-speed drivers don't really perform for you, the fact that you apparently don't ever release anhyzer, and don't ever mention anything about form ... it makes me wonder whether the real key going forward is to at least assess how good your form is. It's possible that this will be the key to unlocking long term satisfaction.

I could be totally off base here, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Yeah sorry I couldnt write everything. I mostly play in 18 hole wooded course. In weekend tournaments its usually won with -8 result by ~960 ranked players. Even I am not that fool that I believe its all equipment but I cant stop thinking it was a big deal...

I think you might be on to something by mentioning anhyzer releases. I actually do throw different angles with quite good succes but anhyzers I use the least. I hit my angles about 85 % of the time. This got me wondering that maybe I should try to throw max distance with anhyzer angle. Did you mean that?

Probably mostly you improving but throwing the right discs for your game is also important. Not knowing what you were throwing before you made the switch it's kind of hard to tell but perhaps whatever you were bagging before was just not right for you.

I know I'm just over four years into playing and my game is finally coming around. Like most everyone else I spent a lot of time mixing things up and trying different discs to see what I liked and what I threw well but once I started figuring out which discs suited my style and gave me confidence I started sticking with what I knew worked for me and just kept getting better throwing those discs.

I say if the discs you have now have cut strokes off your game then stick with them and keep throwing them and they'll likely start taking more strokes off your game.

Yeah sorry I couldnt write everything. I mostly play in 18 hole wooded course. In weekend tournaments its usually won with -8 result by ~960 ranked players. Even I am not that fool that I believe its all equipment but I cant stop thinking it was a big deal...

I think you might be on to something by mentioning anhyzer releases. I actually do throw different angles with quite good succes but anhyzers I use the least. I hit my angles about 85 % of the time. This got me wondering that maybe I should try to throw max distance with anhyzer angle. Did you mean that?

I was mostly wondering if you have issues like OAT that prevent/discourage you from throwing anhyzer. I'm also wondering why you don't ever have to throw lines that require anhyzer releases. That, plus wondering what kind of course let's you go from +18 to +3 led to the question about the course. Soundec potentially like a fairly rec level course. Wooded course where a -6 = 960 rating probably answers that, though.

Still, I wonder if you might really benefit from doing a form check thread and let someone like SW22 help you out.

Last edited:
It blows me away that every MVP bag doesn't contain an Electron Volt. Far and away their best disc IMO.

I was mostly wondering if you have issues like OAT that prevent/discourage you from throwing anhyzer. I'm also wondering why you don't ever have to throw lines that require anhyzer releases. That, plus wondering what kind of course let's you go from +18 to +3 led to the question about the course. Soundec potentially like a fairly rec level course. Wooded course where a -6 = 960 rating probably answers that, though.

Still, I wonder if you might really benefit from doing a form check thread and let someone like SW22 help you out.

My form is not perfect. In fact nobody should ever be satisfied with his form. I used to have a lot of OAT but propably at the same time when switched my discs to mvp I got comfortable with my grip since all the discs were quite similiar. After I did not have to concentrate in my grip I started pulling straight. Angles worked well and so on. Does that make sense at all?

But yes, I do believe you are right i would benefit from form check. Maybe I'll do it later. Thanks for the tip.

Everything MVP (which isn't a lot) that I've thrown seems to go a lot straighter than I expect, regardless of what I'm trying to do.

Headwind shot where I'm turning over Teebirds and Explorers? Throw a Volt, it goes straight with minimal fade. Need to hit a straight gap, then stall out a hyzer and fade 75 feet to the basket? Throw a Volt, it goes straight into the bushes 75 feet right of the basket.

Latest posts