• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Relay

The Relay overlaps a fresh Champion Leopard. They don't fly exactly the same, but it's a good baseline for someone used to throwing Innova.

I'd say a Champ Leopard is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more Stable than a Relay. Like, WAY more. I guess it depends - but I have 2 172, 174g Relays and they flip up and over and swoop out a gooood amount. Champ leopards are almost stable when new. I can see it overlapping a DX leo. but that's it. But in your defense I haven't used a champ leo in a while - but if memory serves me right its more like 6/5/-2/1 and the relay is like 6/5/-3/1

I'm looking forward to throwing this especially if it's anything like a Cheetah, but I'm having a hard time imagining it in the bag between the Inspire and Theory.

I'm kinda curious where it fits too.. I thought the Inspire was the same flight ratings as the Relay.

The Relay overlaps a fresh Champion Leopard. They don't fly exactly the same, but it's a good baseline for someone used to throwing Innova.

I'd say it overlaps a DX Leopard? I need to find a champ Leo that flies that understable. I agree with ThomasOrion, quote below.

For me, what makes the Relay so special is the low HSS (i.e. flips really easy) but a resistance to turning and burning, which plagues lots of other understable fairways. For this reason, I dislike it for rollers. But for a turnover airshot, I haven't found anything that beats the Relay.

Maybe it's the gyro...

I'd say a Champ Leopard is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more Stable than a Relay. Like, WAY more. I guess it depends - but I have 2 172, 174g Relays and they flip up and over and swoop out a gooood amount. Champ leopards are almost stable when new. I can see it overlapping a DX leo. but that's it. But in your defense I haven't used a champ leo in a while - but if memory serves me right its more like 6/5/-2/1 and the relay is like 6/5/-3/1

Hmm, I am not the only one to have comparred it to a champ leo, look back at the MVP theard to when it was released
....perhaps its that wonderful Innova consistency again.

The mid 160s Relay I had, was the closest thing to a fairway Comet I have ever thrown. A very small amount of turn with a nice smooth, barely there, fade at the end.

The Relay, like the Comet, wants more spin than speed.
Take it out and throw it next to a Comet and see the similar lines.

Fair enough! Maybe when the Relay first came out it wasn't supposed to have quite as much early turn? Who knows. I just know the Relay will be in my bag for quite a while to cover the left-to-right turnover line. I have a champ Leo that may beat in to a similar spot, but it's got a long way to go.

Great disc, any way you slice it.

It's a damn fine disc I'm working on moving a 174 into my bag my 165 has developed a sweet but useless gentle high speed turn it's not off by much more than a few feet but it has been thrown every round multiple times since I got it. It's fresh and heavy replacement feels very Leopardy especially next to its lighter worn counterpart.. Very straight flight and a soft minimal late fade a little more resistant to turning... I totally see the comparison to a 170g Leopard.

My middle name is Thomas..

Sipped the gyro kool-aid a few weeks ago and ordered a pair of Relay 174-175 Neutron. After waiting out two long weeks of weather I finally got to throw them, they remind me of early 2000s Z XL. When I threw them flat and hard they have a mellow almost lazy turn all the way to the ground, always tends to land flat or thrown softer it had just a baby flex out . Nice controllable hyzerflips at low power and really fun high hyzerflips, totally capable of bombing. Great disc, would throw again.

Wow, the Relays I have are beefier than yours. They don't want to turn at all, even when thrown over 300'. I still like them, they just weren't what I was expecting.

Wow, the Relays I have are beefier than yours. They don't want to turn at all, even when thrown over 300'. I still like them, they just weren't what I was expecting.

Oh good.....

I mean good you didn't just do a stamp for relays I'm kinda over stocked haha.. :)

What weight and run do you have? Have you thrown it for two months yet?

My cosmic are a little beefy but I throw low weights... my early fn's are pretty normal...but my 165 low dome is less hss than the 165 medium dome.. But my 155 medium dome is wicked awesome, it's closest to my pfn and still has some fade back.

I haven't thrown my cosmic 167 much but it's close to my 172 flat top pfn....

Me thinks you might be trying to nose up flip em.. Good luck with that haha.

Last edited:
The cosmic relays are closer to champ leopard, the regular relays are closer to g star or pro leopards. But I agree that even though they want to turn initially, they do not want to turn and burn like a beat in DX leopard Does.

No experience with Cosmics here, but I see the heavy star Leo to Relay comparison. More consistent fade but not enough to dump or skip like a champ Leo.

I have a Cosmic Neutron Relay. I have beat it and beat it and it has just a bit of turn and a bit of fade. Does not turn like a Leopard or Fuse, like I thought it would. How long for Neutron to fly at rated flight numbers, would you say?

Always the archer.

Haha... so my regular neutrons I figure are about two months of good hard use to get the new knocked off. After that they seem to hold for a few years before the next wear stage. I haven't thrown my cosmics enough yet

If you are dissatisfied with the disc and have nothing to lose.. Can I recommend a "fine" file like a mill cut (assuming you are RH, I'm LH so I use a beat 20yr old bastard file) about 10" long.. Straddle two edges or the full edge of disc to keep it flat and even, start at a point like sticker or name and go around it evenly with about 3 strokes to start.. Especially if there's a touch of flashing. I have never tuned a Relay like that, I prefer them fresh stable since I have a couple worn neutrons, it's but 3 strokes is usually 3 months or so of wear.

Last edited:
I have a Cosmic Neutron Relay. I have beat it and beat it and it has just a bit of turn and a bit of fade. Does not turn like a Leopard or Fuse, like I thought it would. How long for Neutron to fly at rated flight numbers, would you say?

I've had 3 Neutron Relays in the 170s. They had a lot of turn right out of the box. It's one reason I like the Relay, it doesn't require nearly as much break-in period as a Star or Champ Leopard, and not even as much as Pro for me. To be honest, I don't see much parallel between any Relay I've thrown and a Leopard in Star or Champ.

There are a few possibilities, and the first is that the Cosmic Neutron flies differently or that you got a bit of a weird specimen... The second possibility, however, is the arm speed. The third would be a nose up release.

Interesting thread. I picked up a Neutron Relay a few weeks back while rummaging through the local club's stock. Absolutely love it. Just feels "right" in the hand, seems to go laser straight with a tiny bit of fade at the end. After three weeks of regular use it's starting to turn a little bit on me but wow ... love at first sight.

Feel like looking at a few other close MVP/Axiom discs ... Crave, Clash, Signal ... given how much I like the feel of this.

Have you tried the teepad treatment? Lay it upside down on a concrete teepad, stand on it and do a few 360s.It will take the "new disc smell" off of it and should help it bypass that first couple months of the break in period.

Have you tried the teepad treatment? Lay it upside down on a concrete teepad, stand on it and do a few 360s.It will take the "new disc smell" off of it and should help it bypass that first couple months of the break in period.

Someone mentioned a file too. I hit the underneath with light sandpaper, and if the temps ever soar above 0 degrees and snow, I will toss it again and see how it flies!

IMO flat smooth fine file is the best, even wear, sandpaper takes way too long but it's decent for a finish buff. I prefer the file because it only hits the very bottom. I guess a sanding block wouldn't be a bad idea... haha. Wrap the sandpaper around something hard so you can lean into it.

Latest posts