• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Relay

Relay is definitely slower, but its understability and glide make it fly nearly as far as the Crave.

From the previous convo, I think I would like a Relay OS to be closer to Resistor stable than Gazelle stable. I use the Crave for those slightly OS shots now, but don't really carry anything more stable other than when I throw a XXX in the bag. A Relay OS that is 6, 5, 0, 3 would be perfect.

Oh, the Crave flies farther? Umm...thanks for confirming that. :thmbup: You can power up the Crave bigtime due to its HSS...try that with a Relay. It'll get there but better have a lot more room.

Relay is definitely slower, but its understability and glide make it fly nearly as far as the Crave.

From the previous convo, I think I would like a Relay OS to be closer to Resistor stable than Gazelle stable. I use the Crave for those slightly OS shots now, but don't really carry anything more stable other than when I throw a XXX in the bag. A Relay OS that is 6, 5, 0, 3 would be perfect.

I think I would like both of those stabilities in that speed class eventually.

Oh, the Crave flies farther? Umm...thanks for confirming that. :thmbup: You can power up the Crave bigtime due to its HSS...try that with a Relay. It'll get there but better have a lot more room.

Keep in mind, I've lost some distance in the last couple years and can only get them both out to about 300' on a good rip. I never had a Relay back when I could throw further, but I imagine someone who can put the Crave out to 400' will probably see it outfly the Relay.

Understood. The neutral, straighter flight and nice glide of the Crave makes it surprisingly long, for me anyway.

Bought a relay. It seemed there were a couple variations, low and high plh. I snagged the high plh and I'm glad I did. It flies like a pro Leo. Really, really enjoy it. I could rip on it with some generous hyzer and get that pop and lock flight. Hope they make a more hss complement soon.

Bought a relay. I could rip on it with some generous hyzer and get that pop and lock flight.

Being able to get that pop and lock with lower effort is really important for me. I've had issues with the Relay off the tee because I've ended up putting too much on it and having it turn and burn. Throwing this from my mini on a second shot or from a standstill is where it shines IMO.

You know, I think I would have had the same issue if I had bought some of the other relays I saw. This one was flat, firm, and definitely had a bit more stability compared to the others I examined. The store didn't have very many though.

As it is right now it's a perfect replacement for my gstar gazelles, which see a lot of work in the woods.

I'm quite impressed with this disc. Unless I do something stupid, somehow it always fades at the end of its flight or pans to flat. It fights the wind extremely well relative to its stability, too. A very line-shapey disc with that forgiving fade.

It is in the bag, to be complemented by my champ gazelles until mvp or axiom releases something similar.

Last edited:
I'm quite impressed with this disc. Unless I do something stupid, somehow it always fades at the end of its flight or pans to flat. It fights the wind extremely well relative to its stability, too. A very line-shapey disc with that forgiving fade.

I've only thrown one, but I think it was a similar type of Relay (i.e. high PLH). I lost it on a bad/blind roller. Yes a very impressive disc. I don't have much experience with gyro, but my impression was that the "gyro effect" was to increase the end fade after the very high initial turn. Where it shined for me was on really tight lines where I wanted some initial turn and late fade and also wanted to back off on throwing power a bit. It did great from a standstill. Make sure you try it on some forehand lines too. I never fully tapped into the forehand hyzerflip potential. Enjoy.

Unfortunately I throw rhbh and lhfh. Lhfh is reserved for scrambles and overhand drives, roller drives.

I got to use this at a couple different courses now, and it just continues to be fun to throw. I do find myself wishing it had a bit more hss since it can flip to flat and continue turning on a low rip, but not a huge deal.

I'll be re-auditioning the crave here soon, and it may be that the relay falls by the wayside in favor of a crave/resistor or a crave/blaze combo, but I doubt it. If it does, then I expect it to be back when/if they release a more gazelle-like mold.

There are just too many shots here in minnesota that utilize a disc like this. Takes the long mid shots with low ceilings without feeling weird for powering down, but can still throw as far as a normal fairway.

Last edited:
Yeah F the crave. I just throw a volt these days. I can throw other OS/stable stuff fine as well but damn that relay does work at a course like BRP etc.

Yeah F the crave. I just throw a volt these days. I can throw other OS/stable stuff fine as well but damn that relay does work at a course like BRP etc.

exactly.

the more i think about it, the less inclined i am to try the crave again. it would just throw my whole bag into chaos.

with a relay, my bag is more like

kc aviar

comet

relay
hpp blaze or champ gazelle

volt x2 - one that is board flat and os, the other has dome and useful turn.

h1

pd2 x2 or 3.

if i replace the relay with a really beat crave, then it's like what's the point of a slower, overstable fairway? i use them as mid replacements on some shots. and what about the volts? the crave goes basically as far. i could toss the wasp too, but there are some times when i really need/want it. hasn't been in my bag for a while though.

a crave-included bag would be more like

kc aviar

comet

crave
????

h1

????

pd2

and then i lose the wood-carving goodness that is speed 6.

so yeah.

when the hell are they gonna stop pumping out high speed shenanigans and revisit speed 6? the high speed stuff is outta hand.

If i dont bag a relay it often means i have another US driver mold as well as another mid or two.

Ive tried a few different setups and pretty much settled on similar setup. I would like the relayOS as you mention. The vector is fine for now but slowly running out of them and havent been buying new backups. Stupid ions just crush too so that thing does work like a slower roc for me.

Ion
Theory
Relay
Volt
Octane

#LETZPLAAAAY!

If i dont bag a relay it often means i have another US driver mold as well as another mid or two.

Ive tried a few different setups and pretty much settled on similar setup. I would like the relayOS as you mention. The vector is fine for now but slowly running out of them and havent been buying new backups. Stupid ions just crush too so that thing does work like a slower roc for me.

Ion
Theory
Relay
Volt
Octane

#LETZPLAAAAY!

I mean looks decent and I could probably play with that set up, but dont you need something NOT flippy in the bag for those windy midwestern days?

At Koda regarding high speed stuff. I assume they had long term plans to sponsor a pro team who no longer had to carry mixed bags. Now that the max distance drivers are released, it's logical they'll fill in more gaps along the whole speed spectrum. Don't forget about the elusive OS putter that has been requested as well.

The relay is good. Really good. For some reason it just crushes too even with such a small rim. Im not using any other US drivers these days. The spin/theory/relay combo is so legit. Been trying to FH the relay more as well vs "full bore rip" :cool: on faster or OS/ stable discs. Still need a vector for some slower OS lines but i cant wait for a relayOS. I would hope for a little less glide vs vector and obviously much more FH friendly vs that big old bead. That might mean the theory would be the only mid in my bag (well the ion too but that also counts as distance driver and putter ;)) such a fun disc. I smell proton relays with a sick Zam stamp. But could just be a pie.

I'm really digging my Relay. Yesterday took it out just with proxy and I'm just becoming more and more impressed the more lines I try with it.

Really liking on technical holes. I feel that it is so intuitive and controllable. If powered down a little can shape a S line or can hold a hyzer. hyzer flip. Also like that I can use both FH or BH - I used it on holes that I normally throw Verdict FH (OS mid), not a knock to the Verdict, I've just been surprised at the lines I can cover.

At the end of the day yesterday I was really gaining confidence with it. Second to last hole, I had a tee shot with a really tight must throw straight window that opens up halfway through and decided, wth, let's try to mash it FH. Hyzer flip, dead straight goodness. One of my better throws on that hole.

Controllable. Intuitive. Versatile. Fun.

For those of you that like the Relay for similar reasons, what are you throwing as a controllable "distance" driver? Vanish, Insanity? Wave? I'm curious. I think I've probably discounted MVP/Axiom understable stuff but I think I might like understable gyro

Vanish for me, with an Octane for more straight to fade duties. Although with my wuss arm a Proton Crave gets almost the same distance as the Octane since I can get a bit more S from the Crave.

For those of you that like the Relay for similar reasons, what are you throwing as a controllable "distance" driver? Vanish, Insanity? Wave? I'm curious. I think I've probably discounted MVP/Axiom understable stuff but I think I might like understable gyro

Aim tries to make this disk famous, it really is the only disk that flies OS for him. Lolzzzzzin so hard

I mean looks decent and I could probably play with that set up, but dont you need something NOT flippy in the bag for those windy midwestern days?

A roaring prairie wind will do what it wants, without regard to the disc's design, so you simply throw to minimize the waywardness and see what happens. For headwinds, throw the beefiest disc you have low with hyzer and spectate. On tailwinds, the flippiest thing you have on high and spectate. For crosswinds, low and straight, then spectate. Once you realize no disc design will beat a strong wind, it's much easier to deal with the wind.

Latest posts