• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Resistor

Is this mold still a first class citizen? It seems like it will fit the bill of what I'm looking for but I have 0 interest in picking up a boutique mold. Do they still make runs of it in proton/neutron/eclipse? If not, is there something else in the lineup that would fit the bill?

There were never eclipse resistors. Proton resistors had a limited run. Neutron resistors are a regular thing that a lot of people throw, and they are pretty great. Might see a little less love now that the deflector is out though

They've only made Sparkle proton resistors for the Circuit events and for DGPT fundraisers, afaik, but the neutrons are a stock item. I got a Circuit stamped sparkle that has a bit of a rounded shoulder compared to the stock neutrons, but it isn't any less beefy. The fade might kick in a tad later but still 0 turn.

Is this mold still a first class citizen? It seems like it will fit the bill of what I'm looking for but I have 0 interest in picking up a boutique mold. Do they still make runs of it in proton/neutron/eclipse? If not, is there something else in the lineup that would fit the bill?

what exactly are you looking for?

I use 2 resistors, one is fresh heavy and beefy dayglo, fades early and hard.. the other is 170ish beat in nicely so it holds a straight line forever and still has that late quick dump fade, by far the most reliable fairway driver i have found and i use it more than anything except maybe my soft N envy. It takes some time to get them beat though, would hate to ever lose my beat resistor. It actually turns a little when i really crush it but its more of a panning turn it never flips at all.. my favorite and most reliable, predictable mold from MVP.

Has anyone managed to do a comparison between the deflector and resistor? Would be interested to hear where they differ other than speed.

I use my resistor like a mid quite a bit.

Has anyone managed to do a comparison between the deflector and resistor? Would be interested to hear where they differ other than speed.

I use both my BuzzzOS (5) & Resistor (6) a lot even though they're only seperated by 1 notch on the speed scale. Could argue the Resistor to be 6.5-7 but whatever. I think it's worth carrying both.

You might find the Deflector pairs well with it. Unless you're trying to be minimize molds.

MANBURGARLAR,

My deflector starts to fade sooner and feels deeper that the resistor, they both have lower glide. I just tried the Runway and would say i like that disc better, it has more glide but very similar stability, i can much more easily get distance out of it, maybe it has just a bit later fade. Have you tried using an Envy (or any OS putter) as a "midrange"? i find i get much more versatility and better results by simplifying my "midrange slot" considering the fairway drivers resistor/Crave cover pretty much every shot my putters cant reach. Just a thought considering you already use your resistor "like a mid" already, i have had good results eliminating overlap.. i even bumped out the volt and just jump from the resistor to speed 9 fireball/wrath because i found too much distance overlap. then speed 11 photons and thats about it. Its fun throwing putters as midranges if you haven't, given it a shot.

I was actually going to ask this today. The resistor is an absolute staple in my bag but I really want a deflector. Anybody bagging both have a good/bad story of how they work so far?

MANBURGARLAR,

My deflector starts to fade sooner and feels deeper that the resistor, they both have lower glide. I just tried the Runway and would say i like that disc better, it has more glide but very similar stability, i can much more easily get distance out of it, maybe it has just a bit later fade. Have you tried using an Envy (or any OS putter) as a "midrange"? i find i get much more versatility and better results by simplifying my "midrange slot" considering the fairway drivers resistor/Crave cover pretty much every shot my putters cant reach. Just a thought considering you already use your resistor "like a mid" already, i have had good results eliminating overlap.. i even bumped out the volt and just jump from the resistor to speed 9 fireball/wrath because i found too much distance overlap. then speed 11 photons and thats about it. Its fun throwing putters as midranges if you haven't, given it a shot.

Funny you say that, because i do like powering up on my Zone and using it like a mid aswell. I just find the resistor is easier to throw at 70% power from a tricky lie to still get the distance and fade, instead of having to hulk up more on the putter.

for my overstable FH shots it basically goes:
-Zone
-Resistor
-NukeOS

Since I cant throw a FH for any kind of distance anymore, at some point I will probably ditch one of my OS discs. I think I will probably take either the Motion or Nitro out. My beat resistor can take the shots on the lower end of the Motions range and the sparkle can handle OS wind duty. Also, the Nitro does the intentional skip shots better... So, it looks like my Nikko Motion has a limited life span itb...

There were never eclipse resistors. Proton resistors had a limited run. Neutron resistors are a regular thing that a lot of people throw, and they are pretty great. Might see a little less love now that the deflector is out though

what exactly are you looking for?

I use 2 resistors, one is fresh heavy and beefy dayglo, fades early and hard.. the other is 170ish beat in nicely so it holds a straight line forever and still has that late quick dump fade, by far the most reliable fairway driver i have found and i use it more than anything except maybe my soft N envy. It takes some time to get them beat though, would hate to ever lose my beat resistor. It actually turns a little when i really crush it but its more of a panning turn it never flips at all.. my favorite and most reliable, predictable mold from MVP.

This is helpful. I honestly wanted something a little faster than a true midrange. I was more or less asking if I could reasonably expect to be able to buy this disc in regular production for the foreseeable future. I've had bad luck with picking up a new mold only for it to get replaced by something near identical almost immediately after.

I went ahead and grabbed a 175 neutron. I really just want something that will fly like a really beefy teebird but I don't have to worry about going too far. Firebirds and XXX seem to always drift a little further than I would like and have too much glide. seems fun so far

I got a Deflector to test as a replacement for my Resistor, and they fly pretty similar to me, but I think I like the Resistor better. Mostly I like that I can get it in lighter weights. But the thinner rim is also a little more comfortable on the Resistor. If they run a stock stamp Plasma Resistor that I can get in the 150 class, it will be the clear winner for me.

I carry both discs in my bag, neutron and around 175g.
Resistor is super flat and firm, Deflector is similar but has a tiny dome and plastic is softer. They feel quite alike in the hand.

Flightwise theyre quite similar too, Deflector is used on shorter max fade holes 'cause I have easier time gauging the short distances with it, if you're better at controlling your fairway discs than me then I imagine Resistor could be enough for you.

Oh and Deflector skips less for me than the Resistor, perhaps 'cause I tend to throw the latter harder and the plastic is so firm?

Resistors season so well. My main one has lost some HSS over the past few years but is still plenty OS & dependable. Some molds lose value over time IMO but this is one that I think gets even more useful. Plus, it's so easy to replace. Anyone here have a hard time finding another completely flat Resistor? I've owned 4 & they're all identical.

Question possibly for the Resistor folk or possibly for GYRO heads in general - I picked up a N resistor recently with a little shimmer in the neutron portion, likely mixed with Plasma. I noticed that it creaks a bit when I apply torsion with my hands, twisting the rim back and forth on either side. Anyone notice this on any MVP discs?

I've never come in contact with another disc that does this; I figure maybe the rim overmold didn't form as good of a bond as normal. I would not anticipate any issues, as I haven't noticed any visible separation in the plastic or anything. Just curious.

I figure maybe the rim overmold didn't form as good of a bond as normal. I would not anticipate any issues, as I haven't noticed any visible separation in the plastic or anything. Just curious.

Its possible I guess. Never noticed the sound myself but its possible that its just something the plastic does naturally. Look at it under the light and see if you can find the seam where the overmold itself fused into a solid piece. I've seen pics of a few that weren't completely joined(they were Axiom though, so it was much easier to spot the seem in a colored rim) at that spot that might be rubbing together making the noise? But I havent seen any that didn't have a solid bond to the core.

Would a Resistor fit well in between Zone and Volt ranges? Essentially as a OS mid/short fairway that my Zone doesn't cover