• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My 40-man roster

bradharris

Team Borderland
Silver level trusted reviewer
I often feel like a baseball GM managing my roster when managing my bag lineup. So I figured why not present a bag thread using that analogy. So here it is, the starting lineup, the bench warmers, and the minor leaguers that comprise my 40 man...er disc...roster.

First off, the vitals

Experience More than 9 years playing, 3 years of serious tournament play.
Right Handed
Throwing style I originally learned by throwing forehand and am comfortable with it at any distance. I've developed a solid backhand for fairway drivers and mids. I putt with a push putt.

Feedback I think I've got things pretty locked in, but as you can see, I have a lot of options available. In addition to these 40, I have another 100 or more that haven't even been considered for the bag. So to stick with the baseball theme, I want to make sure I'm making the right moves as GM.

The starting lineup - all carried in an Innova DISCarrier with quad straps

Primary Putting - Whenever I'm actually aiming at the chains ~50 feet and in
167 SS Wizard - Main putter
175 SS Wizard - Windy, downhill or hyzer putting

Other putters

I've never gotten an accurate putter distance measure. I'd say I put the Ridge out around 225'. I use these four for all short approach within that range

Z Zone (forehand)
Pro D Zone (backhand)
Ridge
Summit

Mids - ~250' with the Ibex

Drone - Forehand and big hyzers
Obex - A quick call up, joined the organization Friday and made it into the bag by Sunday. Dead straight with predictable fade.
ESP Buzzz - Very near taking a seat on the bench. Was my primary mid but is quickly losing that job to the Ibex
Med Ibex - Primary mid, dead straight 250'
ESP Meteor - Turnovers and touch shots

Fairway Drivers - No real solid distance numbers here, but I'd estimate the Firebird forehand around 300' and teebird backhand around 315'

CE Whippet - Forehand hyzers
Champ Firebird - Primary forehand fairway, backhand hyzers
Champ Teebird - Backhand distance, predictable fade
Star TL - Straight lines with minimal fade
Opto River - Stays dead straight on tight uphill shots. Slight turnovers on flat or downhill.
Grip Vision - Turnovers

Distance Drivers Only forehand at this level, distance around 330'
Champ XCal - long range with hard fade, distance flex shots
Champ Orc - Controlled distance. Line shaping.
Z Avenger SS - Big turnovers

Max Distance ~350' forehand
FR Z Nuke

On the bench
With four spots left on the 25-man active roster, these are the bench warmers that see occasional time in the bag.

Champ Katana - On days when I really am getting good snap, I'll use this in place of the Nuke for max distance. Thrown hyzer it flips flat and carries forever on a nice line. I'm too inconsistent with it for regular use.
GL Trident - I was using this for short backhand hooks, but the drone, whippet and firebird can all cover what it does.
Glo Buzzz - Benched by the Obex
GL Striker - I want to like the Striker, but the teebird and TL have it's slot covered.

The minors

The remaining 15 have seen occasional time in the bag or are recent additions that have good potential.

FLX Surge SS - Was using this for backhand distance, don't have the arm for the higher speed yet
ESP Avenger SS - Again, a distance backhand driver. But I'm too inconsistent with it. Too much OAT usually turns it over
Ti Stalker - it's pretty, but there's no hole in my bag for it to fill.
VP - Got bumped out once I started using a Zone
GL Flow - I want to like this for backhand distance, but I just don't have the arm for it.
C PD2 - I used to use this for long range hyzers. The XCal covers that shot with more consistency though
PD - I have this in C, P, and test run S. All fairly new and still in the trial period. The Firebird has been good for me though and will be hard to unseat.
Z Force - Does the same things as the XCal, but not as well.
S FD - I want to like it, but I have a lot of redundancy at the neutral fairway driver slot.
Pro D Stratus - Saw quite a bit of time as my primary turnover fairway driver. I have better control over the Vision though
Z Avenger - Formerly my go-to for backhand distance. Dropped it when I realized I could throw the teebird farther with better control.
Z Surge - Waiting in the wings for the Orc to stumble...
Champ Leopard - Has had a number of stints in the bag, but the River has become the mainstay
Champ Valkyrie - I used to throw this a lot. But as my forehand developed, it got too flippy and I never got a good handle on it backhand.
DX Gazelle - Super glidey. Just haven't found a shot on the course that I really need it for.

This was a very interesting perspective. (it makes me wonder if that can be fit into other sports too).. So, the IBEX over the Buzzz, have you found over time that the buzzz's get less stable and the ibex/vibram material just holds its form and flight characteristics better, or it just feels better in your hand?

So, the IBEX over the Buzzz, have you found over time that the buzzz's get less stable and the ibex/vibram material just holds its form and flight characteristics better, or it just feels better in your hand?

I'm finding my worn ESP Buzzz flies very similar to the Ibex, almost identical really. I get about 250' with a little bit of early flip and very little closing fade. So flight-wise, the two are interchangeable, but I love the feel and the look of the Ibex so that ends up being the deciding factor.

Also the Ibex is much softer against the trees. For wooded New England courses, this means much friendlier tree hits with the Ibex.

Well I dont know exactly what you want to get from this thread...

But I can tell you how I select my bag discs. I need one understable, one stable and one overstable disc for the 4 main distance cathegories ( putter, mid, fairway driver, max D driver ).

IMO anything more than that is just carrying extra weigth. ( of course I have a few doubles with me as backups, but only for the most used discs, so that my total always stays under 20. )

edit : as a buzzz fanboy, it surprised me that you want the ibex over it ^^ But hey, to each their own. I may try it some day :)

My starting lineup...Boatman for sidearm overstable and anything that needs to skip...disc will skip like no other.
3 Star Destroyers, one was a free agent, I called the number on the disc and he said keep it. The other was a lottery pick (one in a tourney), and one is the quintessential "meathook"
1 blizz destroyer, not domey 150...just partial to it.
1 old champion Valkyrie...its the Veteran of the group
1 beat up Z Avenger for turnovers
1 Buzz Flx for all things midrange
2 KC pro aviars for chains
1 Z Zone for 50-100 ft flicks or bhs (ill use the buzzz if no line tho)

My guess is that after drafting the PD the Avenger will be stuck in AA for the rest of its life.

Latest posts