• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Bag. Critiques/Suggestions wanted.

JeCroisQue

Eagle Member
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG played 5 years on and off
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, occasional OH, rare FH
Golf Distance- Putter: 215/260'; Mid: 290/325'; Fairway Driver: 330/370'

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Some pre-existing back injuries
Other sport proficiencies?: Soccer, Ball Golf, Basketball
Specific areas of desired feedback: General
Immediate and long-term goals: Be able to throw nuke without having to feel like I am sacrificing my form to get it up to speed. Shoot par.

I have picked up disc golf over the past year after taking a couple years off and am pretty happy with where my game is right now. I disced down for a while to work on form and have since added the drivers back in. Then I realized I had about 12 molds for 14 discs and decided to fix that. I'm more of a control player and I rarely throw as hard as I can (my home course calls for this)- also, it can get windy here which goes into some of my disc choices.

After the rework I now have 6-7 molds for 13 discs instead of 12 for 14. I'm also looking into getting a set of nukes (one of each, Regular, OS, and SS) for when I get a little more serious, what are you're thoughts on them. As for now, the avengers take care of distance without sacrificing my form, as my game progresses those will most likely be the ones I add. Please let me know what you think (additions/subtractions/new discs I should look into getting). Any opinions/suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Drivers- 370-400 ft. average/450 ft. max:
Pro-D Avenger- 173g- pretty beat in, has become my long distance stable driver.
Z-Line Avenger- 172g- overstable to stable driver.
Z-Line Avenger SS- 175g- anhyzer drives, rollers.
Champion Firebird 12x- 175g- overstable driver in strong headwinds.

Fairway Drivers- 320-350 ft. average/ 375 ft. max:
Champion Teebird 12x- 175g- overstable, when I need a skip, utility driver, when I'm not quite sure what to throw I'll grab this 9/10 times.
DX Teebird- 175g- almost beat in perfectly, straight drives or down long fairways.
DX Leopard- 176g- long anhyzer shots where I don't need huge distance and am looking for more control. not often used.

Mids- 275-310 ft. average/ 350 ft. max:
Glow Roc- 180g- most stable mid, usually when I need any type of hyzer shot.
KC Pro Roc- 175g- stable mid, very straight with a slight fade at the end.
DX Roc- 172g- beat in, my most reliable/used disc, understable to stable. I reach for this at least 50% of the time.
DX Classic Roc- 171g- almost like a putter, used on most upshots <150 ft. (anhyzer, flat, hyzer. holds all lines), drives < 220.

Putters: 210- 230ft. average/ 240 ft. max
DX Rhyno- 171g- my go to putter for almost all putts, pretty beat in, shorter upshots where I want it to stop dead.
Champion Rhyno 175g- fairly new, still testing it, some up shots, occasional long putts/putts with a strong headwind.

Extras I like but aren't in my bag:
Star FL- 172g- new, have not really had a chance to test it.
DX Wraith- 170g
Star Eagle- 175g- I prefer the teebird so far
ESP Flx Buzzz- 170g- I like it, super straight and long for a mid, but it pretty much does the same thing as my rocs
Yeti Pro Aviar- 168g
JK Pro Aviar- 168g
DX Aviar- 175g

Thanks for taking a look!

I wouldn't be in any rush to incorporate Nukes. The OS Nuke is very special purpose, and it seems like you don't have much need for it. The SS Nuke really doesn't give you much over the Avenger SS. The "regular" Nuke is a pretty nice disc, but can be hard to control. It sounds like your focus is on keeping control, so I would stick with the Avengers.

You can probably drop the Leopard. The DX Teebird overlaps with it, especially as you beat it in more. You said you rarely use it anyway, so it sounds like it's time to drop it completely. If you want a true understable fairway driver, consider a Latitude Vision or a Discraft XL.

Mids: Your Roc arsenal seems to cover what you need. More power to you for having one do-it-all mold. Personally I'm a Buzzz thrower, but I'd say keep your FLX Buzzz out, you're a Roc guy and that works for you.

I've always heard good things about X Avengers.

Ok, I'll stick with the avengers. Maybe I'll play will some of the different plastics to find out which ones I like the best. I'll take a look at those understable fairways, I was looking at the Archangel, the sidewinder, and the roadrunner for understable fairway/non-max speed driver. Any suggestions for a true overstable mid, I'm afraid that the glow roc will straighten as I use it. How overstable are the rocs in different plastic (champ or star if I can find it)?

Ok, I'll stick with the avengers. Maybe I'll play will some of the different plastics to find out which ones I like the best. I'll take a look at those understable fairways, I was looking at the Archangel, the sidewinder, and the roadrunner for understable fairway/non-max speed driver. Any suggestions for a true overstable mid, I'm afraid that the glow roc will straighten as I use it. How overstable are the rocs in different plastic (champ or star if I can find it)?

Try a Drone. It's about as overstable as you'll find for mids.

Good point, about the roadrunner/sidewinder. Do you think it would be better to have a drone or just power down my firebird or champ teebird?

Good point, about the roadrunner/sidewinder. Do you think it would be better to have a drone or just power down my firebird or champ teebird?

It's ultimately what you feel more comfortable throwing between powering down or throwing a mid but I would go with the drone. I personally like the wasp more than the drone but that's just me.

It's ultimately what you feel more comfortable throwing between powering down or throwing a mid but I would go with the drone. I personally like the wasp more than the drone but that's just me.

I think i'll just try the power down route first. If I don't like it I'll look into getting something else. No use in buying more discs if I don't need em (I already do enough of that).

the only problem you might find with powering down drivers is drivers will skip much more than mids. if you want a disc that can take the role of your avengers as well as an extremely controllable disc when powered dow i would suggest the PD. you will be able to achieve very similar if not the same lines as your avenger and they are a bit slower so they are easier to power down on consistent lines.

the only problem you might find with powering down drivers is drivers will skip much more than mids. if you want a disc that can take the role of your avengers as well as an extremely controllable disc when powered dow i would suggest the PD. you will be able to achieve very similar if not the same lines as your avenger and they are a bit slower so they are easier to power down on consistent lines.

Ok, I'll take a look at the PD. I'm going to try to use the power down method first, if it doesn't work out, I'll take a look at the PD.

I guess I'll just make this into a Bag log to keep track of where I'm at and to get suggestions and feedback. My grandpa gave me his old bag which fits 22 discs, so I've added a bunch more discs. I still am trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Distance Drivers: King- 375/425, Avenger- 340/390
King -Tourney 174g- Max D driver, only thing faster than a ten. Tailwind/ no wind.
Z Avenger- 172g- Overstable Driver, control hyzers, spike hyzers, short skips that hook left.
X Avenger- 175g- straight control driver, when I need a light fade at the end.
D Avenger- 173g- Dead straight, worn in, Hyzer flips
Z Avenger SS- 175g- Rollers, long anhyzers.

Fairway Drivers: Valk- 330/375, TB- 300/340, Leo- 315/350
DX Valkyrie- 172g- New (replacing a lost one) workable driver, s curves etc.
Champ Firebird- 174g- Most overstable driver, Dead Headwinds, Hyzer spikes, Meat hooks
Champ Teebird- 175g- workhorse driver, still fairly overstable, throw flat and will always finish left.
DX Teebird- 175g- slightly worn- dead straight with almost no fade. Will pretty much follow any line I throw it on.
DX Leopard- 176g, Beat, longer annys that don't fade back, Hyzer flips
Champ Leopard- 175g- Straight shots, slight anhyzers that will fade back, not my favorite.
Pro Leopard- 174g- new, similar to the champ but hoping it will soon fit somewhere in between the DX and Champ.

Mids: Roc- 260/320
CFR Gator- 175g- new- trying to decide between this and a esp flx drone for my overstable mid.
Star Roc- 180g- Most overstable roc, new but I like it so far.
KC Pro Roc- 175g- Straight/stable mid, Worn in, Flex shots
DX Roc- 172g- Beat, overstable mid, Anhyzers, Usually doesn't flex back
Classic Roc- 171g- Most up shots, Slightly worn in, very workable, Hyzers, annys, straight shots.

Putters: 200/250
2 Pro Rhynos- both 170g- equal wear, fairly stiff, one is main putting duties, the other is back up.
Pro Rhyno- 174g- Beat in, very gummy
Champ Rhyno- 175g- some up shots when I want it to slide or skip some, utility/trick shots.

That's my bag as of now, I added some more discs but have kept the core of my bag intact. I have tried to keep it simple with only one disc faster than a 10 and 11 molds for 21 discs

Discs not in the bag: Star FL, 4 DX Rhyno, Anode, Z Stalker, DX Viper, Glow Wizard, Soft wizard, Med wizard, Light magic, Aviar P&A, JK Pro Aviar, Yeti Aviar, eps Drone, Glow roc, 2 kcpro roc, dx roc, eco star roc, dx spider, esp buzzz, star eagle, DX Wraith, #3 flyer, Champ Roadrunner, Glow Leopard, DX Leopard, Glow Teebird, GL River

My concerns/what I'd like to get suggestions on:

Drivers: Am I missing anything, do you think I should get some more high-speed discs to fill any gaps? Or just stick with it?

Fairways: Im thinking there is a little overlap but I feel like I have most shots eventually I'm hoping my Pro leo will take the champ leos spot. I tried the river for a while, but couldn't justify it taking the leos spot, thinking about giving it another try.

Mids: Pretty comfortable with them so far, I can pretty much hit any line with the rocs. Do you think the gator or the drone would be better for the overstable mid spot?

Putter: Been having some trouble with the putter recently, switched from DX to Pro Rhynos while it's still cold. Kind of trying them out but missing a lot of pots in te mean time. If it doesn't start to work out soon i'll have to try the wizards I have.

Took out the Classic roc, added a medium anode. Took out the Champ leopard, added a blizzard boss mostly just for fun. Took out the gator, added an esp flx drone.

I'm loving the switch from pro back to dx Rhynos. Only missed 2 putts today that I felt I could have made.

Trying out the FD, Soft anode, and a test river today.

I've been liking my GL river lately and want to see if the base plastic can beat in to be a little more understable.

Love the medium Anode, and I'm sure I'll like the soft.

I Love my teebirds, love my leopards, and like my rivers... but I just had to try out an FD. I don't know what spot it will take or if it will take one, but I'll find out soon enough.

Distance Drivers: Avenger- 300/350, Max D- 325/375
1x King- 174 Tournament- Max D, unsderstable to stable driver
1x Boss- 154 Blizzard Champ- Max D stable to overstable driver
3x Avenger- 175 Z, 172 Z, 170 X- workhorses, stable to slightly overstable control drives. (one is for flicks)
2x Avenger SS- 170 ESP FLX, 175 Z- Long turnovers, flex shots, Understable control drivers.

Fairway Drivers: 280/325
1x Firebird- Champ 174- overstable wind driver, meathook skips
2x Teebird- 175 Champ (1 worn, one new)- Stable to slightly overstable shots
2x Leopard- Worn 174 Pro, Beat 176 DX- understable turnover shots
2x River- 173 GL, 175 Test Run- stable to understable, flex shots

Mids: Roc- 265/310
4x Roc- New 180 star, Beat 178 DX, Worn 177 KC Pro, New 175 Kc Pro- slightly overstable to understable shots
1x Drone- 175 Esp Flx- overstable shots, hard hooking shots.

Putters: Rhyno- 200/225, Anode- 220/250
2x Rhyno- 175 DX (some drives, wind putter +25 mph), 174 super soft Pro (some upshots)
2x Anode- 171 Medium (most upshots), 174 Soft (main putter)

Switched it up a little bit. Anything missing? Any concerns?

Some minor switches, additions, and subratactions

Distance Drivers: Avenger- 300/350, Max D- 325/375
2x King- 166 and 174 Tournament- Max D stable driver
1x Boss- 154 Blizzard Champ- Max D overstable driver- I don't really like it, Looking for a destroyer to try out.
3x Avenger- 175 Z, 172 Z, 170 X- workhorses, stable to slightly overstable control drives. (one is for flicks)
2x Avenger SS- 170 ESP FLX, 175 Z- Long turnovers, flex shots, Understable control drivers.

Fairway Drivers: 280/325
1x Firebird- Champ 174- overstable wind driver, meathook skips
2x Teebird- 175 Champ (1 worn, one new)- Stable to slightly overstable shots
3x Leopard- New 173 Pro, Worn 174 Pro, Beat 176 DX- understable turnover shots

Mids: Roc- 250/300
4x Rocs- New 180 star, Beat 178 DX, Worn 177 KC Pro, New 175 Kc Pro- slightly overstable to understable shots
Vector- 177- Trying it out as a replacement for a drone. Not the same but holds a line well in the wind is much longer, and is really overstable.
Axis- 176- Trying it out for shots that are between my roc and teebird. Dead straight to 275-300' hold most lines.

Putters: Rhyno- 200/225, Anode- 220/260
3x Rhyno- 2x 165 DX Main putter and practice putter, 174 super soft Pro (some upshots and testy putts)
2x Anode- 172 and 173 Softs- Upshots and drives (didn't like ti for putting)
1x Gumbputt- never really use, just for fun/ sitting on while I wait.

Drivers: I have a sword coming in the mail. I'm going to try out a Blizzard and Star Destroyer I don't really like the Boss. Also thinking about trying a vision for something in between my X avenger and my worn champ teebird. Added a new Pro Leopard instead of a GL river. Cuts down on molds and does almost the same thing.

Mids: Still trying to decide if I like the Vector or Drone more, I know they are different but The kind of fall under the same functions for me. I think I'll end up going back to the drone in the end, it just seams more versatile. Trying out the Axis. I don't know if it will ultimately end up in the bag, but I like it. I just don't know if there is a real need for it. Gunna try out a Aarship for this spot too, it might be a little longer and have more of a clear cut role. Getting a fuse in the mail, hopefully it will be a tad more understable than my DX roc.

Putters: Switched to from 175 to 165 Rhyno's. I'm making a lot more putts with just the switch in weight. I still have a heavy Pro putter in the bag if I ever need it. Also switched from Medium to Soft Anodes, and stopped putting with them. I love the feel of them approaching and off the tee, just not for putting. Definitely will be in my bag for a long time to come.

Let me know what you think

Overstable mid Drone is where its at, or another good overstable approach/mid disc is the zone. And on the nuke subject, The OS will be silly overstable and you wont use it, The SS will be silly understable and roll like your avenger SS, the regular might be a great thing for that extra 40 feet.

Have you considered discing down?
I spent a lot of time with slower discs and just recently stepped up to the PD. But I learned that I can crank a TL 350 if I really have some room to work. I would probably wait until you are at around 350 of on course distance with the Avenger before you start throwing the 13 & 14's.

Have you considered discing down?
I spent a lot of time with slower discs and just recently stepped up to the PD. But I learned that I can crank a TL 350 if I really have some room to work. I would probably wait until you are at around 350 of on course distance with the Avenger before you start throwing the 13 & 14's.

I have considered, and have disced down. I had a bag of Rhyno, Anode, Roc, Teebird, and Leopard for a little over a month. It helped my form and gave me a distance bump too. The problem was/is that all of these distances are on course distances. I can throw a Teebird, in regular conditions, anywhere in the 325-350 range consistently. It's hard to gauge how far I throw on average when I hit trees and stuff. I have thrown the Kings 400ish on good throws. But I never end up that far because it gets caught up in a tree 275' out.

There isn't anything in my bag that I would consider too fast for me. The Boss maybe, but I don't ever throw it. The Avenger is just the perfect speed for me now. I am using one on most tees that a Teebird or leo wond get to. I only use the King when it's wide open and I need max D (2 or 3 holes on my home course). I can let it rip on a slight hyzer and it will flip up, turn a little, and then finish left about 375 consistently.

Edit: I never really crank any drives, these are my distances throwing geared towards accuracy over power because my home course demands it. Every hole is wooded, And when I say wooded, it's a crapshoot of low ceiling trees with tight alleys

Last edited:

Latest posts