• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My best putter is ...

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
a Shark.

I haven't tried many putters - Aviar P & A is the one I own, and I like it, but I've thrown a friend's Rubber Putter, and that's about it. Hope to try a Pure this week. The Avair sits in my bag at home

I keep a Shark and a Valkyrie in my desk at work, where I can slip away for a quick 9 holes at the course about 5 minutes away. All the approach and putting are done with this Shark.

Anyhoo, I've been banging in putts or just missing from 50-100 feet with a Shark. For a noob, it's uncanny, but I feel it with this disc.

Let this be a testimonial to knowing a disc well, because I played my first 30-40 rounds with nothing but this Shark and its 2 gram lighter sibling (175-77).

Yep, whatever works for you my friend. Some guys putt with Rocs too. And the Dart is basically a slow glidey midrange/putter. I've putt with my Axis before if I'm close enough to the basket.

Many discs can perform both rolls as approach, and putt.

I also find the shallow rim easier to control than the deep rim of most putters; however, I need to throw gentle hyzers with a Shark as opposed to straight in with a straight flying putter.

Discovering and learning the capabilities of a particular disc ... so little time, so many juicy new discs....

Whatever works... but

I agree completely with BigSky on the whatever works, however... If you ever play on a really windy course you would probably prefer like a rhyno or even a kc pro aviar. Just saying... Putters are putters and it's all personal preference, but some perform better than others in certain conditions. My fave right now is a SS Wizard. I have two of them max weight (~178g) that I use for almost everything 100' in.

Last edited:
I agree completely with BigSky on the whatever works, however... If you ever play on a really windy course you would probably prefer like a rhyno or even a kc pro aviar. Just saying... Putters are putters and it's all personal preference, but some perform better than others in certain conditions. My fave right now is a SS Wizard. I have two of them max weight (~178g) that I use for almost everything 100' in.

Again, I'm the voice of ignorance on putters. I like my Aviar, but that is for real golf outings, not slipping away for a quick one. Perhaps having a putter in my drawer ....

Probably Anode or Ion, just because they're so great at putting and driving.

Got a bid in on an Anode on ebay - like the idea of a straight flyer. Looking at the Pure for that reason as well.

Got a bid in on an Anode on ebay - like the idea of a straight flyer. Looking at the Pure for that reason as well.

Pure. FTW. Opto for drives and approaches and zero for banging chains. Get one, you will love it. Truly a point and shoot disc.

I have two main and best putters. My go to is a black Soft Focus with standard stamp minus the silver Discraft and Elite X stamp. My second go to is a Black Big Jerm Soft Focus, also with out standard Discraft and Elite X stamps. For my mid-range upshots I have a "watermelon" E-Mac

RFF Wizard would be my first putter that I've had success with. I have bought many, I don't like many of em. I learned how to putt atleast a little with my wizard and I'd say I'm okay at putting, but I can easily do what I do with any disc that feels comfortable. Lol

I've had recent success with the ABC Flying Squirrel. Sometimes if I approach with the FS I will just be too lazy to pull out my putter (which strangely, is a dart) and will just put with it. It is pretty automatic. I have met plenty of people that putt with rocs.

If I were forced to use only one putter the rest of my life, I'd use a heavy Pro Rhyno. I know Innova doesn't make them anymore, but that's the "best" day in, day out putter I have.

I like all of the Vibram putters and usually carry a couple of different molds in my bag depending on the course.

Pures are great too, but are lacking when the wind really kicks up.

There's my 2 cents.

Been putting with the exact same SS VooDoo for a year and a half. Can't even remember what I used before that; I think it was a floppy Omega. I use an R-Pro Rhyno for approaches, but I prefer the firmer yet still grippy plastic for putting.

For me, the best way to pick out a putter is all by how it feels in your hand. Its hard to explain, it just feels "right".

Currently use a Mercy.

For me, the best way to pick out a putter is all by how it feels in your hand. Its hard to explain, it just feels "right".

Currently use a Mercy.

I can understand that - one thing I like about the Shark, or the few mid-range molds I've tried, is they seem to release more easily than a deep-rimmed frisbee-like putter or a driver.

Unfortunately, feel is not part of the 4 part number grade.

I tend to use a Rhyno in place of a mid range, so I guess I'm opposite of you. For the closer putts (40' or so) I have a sss wizard I like better.

First starting out 2000-2001 I used a Shark as my main putter too.

I was halfway decent with it before switching to Rhynos and discovering the benefits of real putters :)

Ive never tried a wizard before. the only gateway putter i have is one that is hanging on my wall that has the local club logo on it

I also find the shallow rim easier to control than the deep rim of most putters; however, I need to throw gentle hyzers with a Shark as opposed to straight in with a straight flying putter.

Discovering and learning the capabilities of a particular disc ... so little time, so many juicy new discs....

One thing I'll say is that i felt the same way about the shallow rims....give the spike and or pure a go...they have the shallowest rims i've felt on putters so far, and i'm fairly new myself but tahts my 2 pennies

Got to give some love to my soft magnet, truly my workhorse. I carry an R-putter for anhyzer shot distance. I agree with others when they say, it matter what is comfortable. I have worked with this disc for years and have a great relationship with it.