• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Education

I won a VIP Air King on a long putt at league. Thought "Pffft" when I saw it, rarely throw anything above speed 10. Then I threw a forehand with it. No pain, full throw like I used to! It quickly made my bag and for two glorious weeks was my best RHFH Disc, until my well-meaning son was tossing it back to me in our warmup area at Robert Morris Park and accidentally threw it into the pond there. Nope, it does not float, and there is a mute swan there that looks particularly menacing.

Found out when I got home that there were none available. One of my personal rules is to not get attached to Discs that are hard to find, so I've moved on. Loved that thing, though!

Lol. I fell through ice a few days ago retrieving an irreplaceable disc. Lucky for me it was just a little creek so I only got wet half way up to my knees.

I always cringe when I see people go out onto a frozen lake or big pond to try and get their $15 piece of plastic.

Found out when I got home that there were none available. One of my personal rules is to not get attached to Discs that are hard to find, so I've moved on. Loved that thing, though!

Westside Discs VIP Air King......don't leave home (or the course) without it!!

When I lose a disc, it is usually because I throw a bad shot, then throw a second throw, then walk off and leave that second throw laying on the course. I've left behind 2 Air Kings recently; I hope whoever found them uses them well. (No...I don't ink my discs). I do count my discs after the front and back 9, to insure they are all present and accounted for, when I forget to count them, I end up leaving one.

Discs that I absolutely can NOT lose; stay in the bag on any shot that has even a slight chance of being lost. I've got a Tournament Northman which I lucked out and Aced Hole 13 at North Georgia Canopy Tours. I don't throw it unless there is a zero per cent chance of losing it. I had it in retirement for about 2 years, but as Northman's are hard to come by lately, it has found its way back into my bag.

Throw well, and often.....

Since this has kinda become a thread about distance, my thoughts are that distance is often less important than placement. Just like shooting pool, a good leave is quite advantageous.

Discs that I absolutely can NOT lose; stay in the bag on any shot that has even a slight chance of being lost. I've got a Tournament Northman which I lucked out and Aced Hole 13 at North Georgia Canopy Tours. I don't throw it unless there is a zero per cent chance of losing it. I had it in retirement for about 2 years, but as Northman's are hard to come by lately, it has found its way back into my bag.

My lone Tournament Northman is also in a semi retirement. Wish I'd bought a bunch more when I still could. Luckily I've got a stack of about 10 VIPs which should last me a long, long time.

taman, I'm 54 and started playing two years ago as well. Pretty much agree with all of your points. I can get a bit more distance than that, but I'm really trying to focus on accuracy. My golf distance seems to have maxed out between 250' and 300'. Stepping up on really long holes, I tend to screw up more often than not if I try to max out distance. When I practice, if I can find a target at 250' I do pretty good. In competition, I seem to forget that and dork my drives on long holes. I may have to give myself a reminder to throw at a target.

Oh, that Leopard is a great disc.

Thanks for the help all. I never intended this to be about distance, but more about how fun the sport is regardless how bad things can go. or do go mostly in my case.

But, taking my brother out Saturday for his second time, was fun.. He improved and had some nice shots. I somehow managed to play far better than I have in the past. I had a few drives that were over 200' one closer to 300', ok down hill. but still, I was shocked.

most were my normal range. But I also managed to not hit too many trees this time. which really can help reduce the number of throws.

Both of us were tired, but we had a great time. And the fun is what is most important. He is looking forward to our next outing. Me I am buying more discs. Just because I can.

I started playing this silly game 2 years ago, at the age of 58. Now at age 60 I have come to recognize I have learned a few things.

1. I will never throw a disc further than 175'.

Maybe, maybe not. I've been playing 3 years and am 62 with a bad back. My best distance so far is 280 feet, but 250 is my common/count on it distance. I've learned to match my disc with my arm speed and if I want to throw a faster speed disc, use a lighter weight one. But mainly, be happy with what I can do.

2. Trees are not your friend.

Actually, they are not your disc's friend.

3. Wearing boots is a must especially this time of year.

4. Never play without a bottle of water in the bag.

Boots....depends on where you live and the weather. In Arizona, it is still tennis shoe weather. But it is definitely always carry water weather.

5. Disc purchasing is addicting.

Absolutely!

6. It's ok to happy dance after making that nearly impossible putt. Even if somebody is watching.

Even after awesome shots or even bad shots that turn out better than expected.

7. I stink at this game

8. No matter what my game is like, I have a blast.

There should be a club for all of us who stink at disc golf but are having a great time playing it.

Latest posts