• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My experience with the Stradle Putt

solomon.trenton

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
First a little bit of a back story. I have been playing for almost 4 years now and have never been a good putter. At best I was decent. I was never confident beyond 10-15 feet. I would only hit 40-50% of those putts and if you putt outside of 20 feet that number would drop dramatically (less than 20%). I had tried the push putt, spin putt, flick putt, turbo and a few other forms I can't remember. Nothing worked. Needless to say I was always frustrated at losing strokes because I couldn't close.

The last September during a warm up round for a tournament I broke my right leg (the one I use to push off with) and wasn't able to play for three months. When I cam back I couldn't x-step or putt like I was used to. If just hurt too much. So I tried a straddle because it was less pressure. It helped tremendously. My percentage is over 80% under 20 feet and I am hitting metal or within a couple of feet on anything outside of 40 is close to 60%.

A few drastic differences I have noticed with the straddle over traditional putting styles:
1. There is more space to move your arm up and down which is helpful for over an obstacle or uphill.
2. It's easier to putt when you are stuck behind a tree:D
3. I find it easier to generate more power as your whole body weight is behind the throw.
4. Fewer moving parts=more accurate putt

That is it for now. Just my $0.02 on something that changed my game and took close to 8 strokes off my average. Add in the fact that I am getting pretty good with a lefty hyzer and my average is down over 10 strokes on average.:thmbup:

I have been using the straddle putt for certain situations(putting around obstacles,trees etc.) for awhile now and it has been working out pretty good for me. I still push putt though if I am in or around the circle and its open:)

I agree except for #3. I think it's harder to get a good weight shift with the straddle.

Yeah, if you're not as wide on the plane you're shifting your weight on (towards the basket) it's tougher to shift your weight without coming out of balance.

Straddle putt is a good putt to have.

When I'm practicing it's 50% straddle and 50% staggered.When you can putt good both ways it helps out a ton.When you can putt awesome wit just the straddle then you are a force to be reckoned with.Just look at Barry Schultz.

I also sometimes have trouble keeping my balance using the straddle putt (as in having to step forward). Overall I like how it helps me get into more of a rhythm by swinging my arm

im in a similiar situation to the op. Im having trouble with the technique though. Are you basically generating most of the power from squating and shifting the weight up through the hit point? What grip are you using? I can't find any videos showing technique or a straddle putt.

Jones, all the same tech as a push putt. Many just like the squaring up, rhythm, and stance advantages of the stradle.

Barry shultz is arguably the best example.

I enjoy this putt, but I have a lot of trouble getting more then 35ish feet out of it for some reason. Maybe I will try the balls of the feet to toe thing today on some practice putts today.

When my normal stance stops working I start using a straddle putt. For some reason it works for me and helps me fix whatever the problem was with my normal stance.

Another person to look at that has a great straddle is Steve Brinster, I know it's not Barry but a very similar technique. I know I wish I could straddle putt, but I can't even putt to begin with.

I've noticed that most of my misses when practicing straddle putting are all wide right. Did you notice this as well? And if you did, how did you address it?

The big advantages I see are that:

1. Sometimes you need to be able to do it.
2. It's easier to line up.

2 can be accomplished in most putting styles if you pay close attention to how you line up your feet, hips chest and shoulders. It's just that straddle putting forces you to do that more than a staggered stance. I like my staggered stance to be a bit on the wider side (shoulder length, maybe a bit more) to help with this.

The big disadvantage is you can't get nearly the weight shift which means less power. Now if you're doing it correctly in a straddle but not a staggered stance then you'll get more power in the straddle, but done correctly in both you definitely get more power in a staggered stance.

I've noticed that most of my misses when practicing straddle putting are all wide right. Did you notice this as well? And if you did, how did you address it?
When that happens to me it's usually because I released too late. Here are some other thoughts and I'm inclined to think the "This only happens on longer putts when I try to muscle it" one might apply but that's just a guess:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/technique/puttproblems.shtml#right

assuming you are right handed, twist that right shoulder forward on the throw keeping a straighter line on the throwing motion. (if you don't, as you extend your arm on the putt it will end up off to the right of where you started at the center of your body.)

When I putt (both straddle and staggered) I like to have the bottom of my palm pushing the back of the disc into the basket.

The opening of my fingers gives the disc spin, but the bottom of my hand is actually propelling the disc into the basket in a straight line.

It works for me; it might work for you.