• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My first bag review

JSurmann

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
After joining this site last year, I quickly bought up a misprint pack from discraft. After experimenting, I have narrowed my bag down to what I feel is minimalistic with little overlap.

I throw rhbh 95% of the time

Drivers:
Z Flash - For left fading shots. 250'
Flx surge ss - for wooded left fade shots. 250'
Champ Tbird - straight approaches 275' max
Z Avenger ss - my most understable driver now. Beat in from all summer and now turns right. About 250' also

Mids
ESP hornet - 200-225
ESP buzzz - 225-250
Z comet - about 200'

Putters: I just got a few new gateways so I'm trying them out
2 warlocks
1 wizard
1 voodoo

I know I need to stick to one mold with putters but with this weather I havent been able to test these out a bunch. Which one would be a good driving putter?

I don't see much overlap here but maybe someone else does. Any suggestions? And yes, I know I have a noodle arm thanks.

My guess is you could stand to lose the top 2 drivers, and just learn your Teebird and Avenger SS until you are throwing much farther. If you really need something different than the Teebird, maybe get a utility disc like a XXX or Banshee. Or maybe just another Teebird in a heavier weight or less beat to get the fade and stability you want.

Mids are solid. Settle on a putter after you've had your fun. Nothing wrong with tryouts. Just don't make it a habit. The sooner you settle on a putter, the sooner your putting and short game improve.

wizard should do just fine for a driving putter. if you don't like it, try a rhyno. the voodoo would be straighter off the tee till you get a wizard beat in for that shot.

and you may want to consider taking all the drivers out of your bag until you can throw that buzzz closer to 275-300.

My guess is you could stand to lose the top 2 drivers, and just learn your Teebird and Avenger SS until you are throwing much farther. If you really need something different than the Teebird, maybe get a utility disc like a XXX or Banshee. Or maybe just another Teebird in a heavier weight or less beat to get the fade and stability you want.

Mids are solid. Settle on a putter after you've had your fun. Nothing wrong with tryouts. Just don't make it a habit. The sooner you settle on a putter, the sooner your putting and short game improve.
Great advice. My only suggestion, and it's no biggie, is if the Comet isn't gelling with the Buzzz and Hornet b/c of the bead or b/c it's slower is to try a Fuse, Meteor, or QMS.
wizard should do just fine for a driving putter. if you don't like it, try a rhyno. the voodoo would be straighter off the tee till you get a wizard beat in for that shot.

and you may want to consider taking all the drivers out of your bag until you can throw that buzzz closer to 275-300.
I wouldn't go that far, it's good to keep a slow driver or two in just to work on nose angle. I definitely wouldn't go any faster than a TB, personally, at your distance I'd drop down to Gazelles, Cheetahs, Cyclones, and Leopards.

The putter descriptions are right on. I didn't find the Warlock as a good driver in comparison to the Wizard and Voodoo. Wizard is the popular favorite
for drives and Voodoo is solid too.

Somebody advised getting something like an XXX or Banshee. I'd kind of say the same thing, but advise a Z Predator, for hyzers, overhand, forehand, and pretty much just a utility disc.

I wouldn't go that far, it's good to keep a slow driver or two in just to work on nose angle. I definitely wouldn't go any faster than a TB, personally, at your distance I'd drop down to Gazelles, Cheetahs, Cyclones, and Leopards.

A new Champ Teebird will teach you everything you need to know about keeping the nose down, unless you like for your shots to stall and hyzer out under 200 feet. My suggestion would be to get a DX Teebird around the same weight, and use that as your primary driver until it beats into a straight and eventually a turnover driver. Then you can ditch your turnover mold and use various Teebirds to accomplish all your fairway shots. I find that this helps me with consistency, but your mileage may vary. In any case, I strongly recommend learning a DX Teebird while you beat in your Champ Teebird.

I'm interested to see which of the gateway putters you end up with. I tend to carry a few Wizards for simplicity. Make sure you update us on which you end up sticking with and why.

what to do....

go study the techn ique videos in the strategy section.

I like your current disc selection. I dont see that you need to make any alterations to your discs and/or collection.

What i see is that you do have a noodle arm, and improving this would make the biggest distance in your game.

technique:
Nose Down, adding snap, reach-back, etc.....

you have the disc selection and potential to easily find 25-50' more with basic adjustments.....

also, take a look at innova's flight charts, and disc descriptions to determine the age/seasoning of your discs. This will help you determine how you need to adapt your throw (or throwing ability) to achieve similar results. I wonder how you can throw your teebird 275' but your SS only goes 250 (when it should go 300'+/-)
* really check your disc weights and make sure they are within your range. I am guessing your range is 169g-170g...

If I could add anything to your bag, it would be a beefy approach/short driver disc. It is really nice to get out of trouble and for shorter utility shots.

I've only used my Sinus AP a few rounds, but its great for a dependable left fade.

Latest posts