• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My first tourny

So on August 20th and 21st will be the first tournament i have ever entered, it is a b-tier pdga event and i entered the intermediate division, on this course (Mt. Airy in Cincinnati, Ohio) i average around +2 to + 8. To me this is fairly good but i can't really get a look at the competition for this division, I just want to know if this was a good division for me to enter?

Tourneys play much different than a casual round. I am unfamiliar with the course but don't take your usual scores into account. Pins can be set up longer and competition can bring out nerves that you could never imagine. Advice: Throw discs you know and don't be afraid of laying up. Most of all, have fun, meet new people, and lay up. Whether that is the right division for you is based purely on you confidence. Have fun and good luck.

This is one of the many reasons I hate arbitrary divisions. But that's a discussion for another thread...

Have you checked the results of past events at this course? That will be your best indicator. Generally, I think your score range is pretty solid for Intermediate. Since you've never played tournaments, no one could fault you for playing in rec though.

yeah the course just put in all new baskets and each basket has three different locations, so the tournament is 3 rounds my guess is they will be different every round. Yes laying up sounds like a good idea, My main reasoning for entering was to see how i stack up against other players and for the new experience and tougher competition since i'm better than everyone I play with. Thanks for the advice!

Bad rolls, spit outs, uncanny tree hits, and slipping on the teepad will all happen in a tournament setting. Go in and prepare for the worst and be ready to shrug it off and move on.

Also, in lower level AM divisons par golf usually scores well. Don't take unnecessary chances to get one birdie, don't try and make up a 5 on the next hole, and don't let your competition change your game, even if you get your butt smoked.

Now that I may have worried you enjoy it! Tournaments are a blast. When you stop having fun, remind yourself that you are out there to have fun.

Lastly, I would advise playing Rec, intermediate players usually have a better feel for a tournament pace and adhere more closely to tournament courtesy rules. Also, it would be much better psychologically to place better in Rec even if you stomp the competition. You can always compare your scores to the other divisions afterwards. Best of luck!

yeah the course just put in all new baskets and each basket has three different locations, so the tournament is 3 rounds my guess is they will be different every round.
The Mt. Airy Forest Centennial Open is part of the Global Disc Golf Tournament which is supposed to play the exact same layout for all three rounds... so the baskets shouldn't move between rounds.

I played my first tournament, July 10th, at my home course. A course I played over a 150 times over 5 years. My average score is around 4 under. The tournament was two rounds on Sunday. My first round I shot a +2, not bad. My second round was a +13, horrible.

Here is what I learned. First and foremost the pace of play is much slower than a causal round. At one point there were two group in front of us waiting to tee off on hole 7. Instead of staying focused on the game, I was hanging out with my new friends in my group talking about anything and everything. Second, I did not realize how tired I would be during the second round, both mentally and physically. It was hot and humid; so hot that my disc was slipping out of my hand due to sweat and fatigue. As bad shots and missed putts continued all I wanted was to finish the round and get this over with.

The good news is; I had a blast! I realized this was my first tournament and I made the most of it. I met a lot a great people. I got my first tournament under my belt. And I know what to expect the next time.

So my advice is to just have fun! If you shoot poorly, who cares? The biggest hurdle you cleared was taking the leap and signing up for your first tournament!

Okay, Very helpful, i know to expect a slower pace which lately i have been playing with 4-6 other friends a round but the pace will probably break me down mentally for sure, this is helping a lot knowing more of what to expect and honestly the nerves will be in full effect from the night before until after i have played my three rounds. Thanks for the advice

okay thanks i know basically nothing about tournaments so that helps, it's nice to have a few new locations here and there keeps it challenging

Where's the first tourney sticky I suggested a while back?

I think a Sticky is a great idea. I ask the same question in July before my first tornament. I did not think to search the forum before hand. But then again, I am 1st Year NUBE. I am learning quickly. How do I back your Sticky motion?

Bring a cooler w/ extra water/sports drinks, bring an extra towel (or 2), have snacks on hand, bring extra socks and a shirt, bring a folding chair (if you don't have a stool) to be able to sit down and relax between rounds, bring an umbrella, bring extra cash, bring an extra mini, and, most of all, bring a postive attitude and have fun!

Yeah your right i can see how people ask this questions often, but yeah that would help. I haven't been on this site to long so i didn't think to search for this topic. but thanks

In Intermediate, par golf usually wins or at least places in the top couple spots. Go for the birdies when you know you can execute one of your normal golf shots to get in the 10meter circle, otherwise just play it safe. You can probably win your division without making a single putt outside the 10m circle.

A lot of guys you will see in Intermediate can throw too far for their own good, and they will get themselves in real trouble in the thick woods. Then they may try to be a hero and pull off some kind of miracle, trying some ridiculous shot that they have a 5% chance of executing, and then a simple layup for 4 turns into a 5 or worse. Don't be that guy. If you get in trouble, play a simple safe out shot, accept your punishment and move on to focus on the next shot.

Bring some nuts or trailmix kind of stuff that you can eat during the waits.

Lunch usually wears off 8 or 9 holes in for me and if I am hungry I start the suck train rolling.

Powerbar makes energy gels that are really good and help a lot but nuts are good too since they help replenish salt from sweat and also have tons of protein.

Don't dwell on the bad, also shrug things off. Don't change your mind, your first choice is always the best and will work out for you, don't go for the risk if the reward isn't high enough...ie, 30' putt but the basket is on a cliff where you will either get a 2 or a 5...lay up for the 3 and don't be an idiot...this goes for bogeys too, if its a 4 or a 5-7 take the 4 by laying up your par shot. I am not saying play like a sissy but those 5s or more will bust your confidence up and add up much quicker than a couple 4s.

4-6 friends is not even close to slow enough, try 4-6 friends on each hole and you will get a real taste of the lack of speed of play.

Like everyone else said, have fun, don't get too nervous.

Lately the confidence is golden even if i'm not hitting shots i normally would but in tourny play i feel that i'll be a little more focused and not rushed. now i have been reading some other posts and seeing that people are confused about who throws first on the next hole, isn't it like ball golf where the person with the best score on the hole has the honors? i feel like a noob asking these questions but you all very helpful, they didnt have a rec for this tourny and my buddy decided it was a good idea to start intermediate.

Latest posts