• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My first tourny

Also, say i drain a shot from 150ft out, am i supposed to run up and take the disc out of the basket and go back to the rest of the group, to where i took the shot? it's a noob question but any advice will be great

Also, say i drain a shot from 150ft out, am i supposed to run up and take the disc out of the basket and go back to the rest of the group, to where i took the shot? it's a noob question but any advice will be great

It is not required, and most groups won't mind throwing their approaches up there before you pull the disc out. But another player could request you to remove it before they throw, and then you would have to, to avoid a courtesy violation. Personally if I hit from that far out I'd get excited enough that I'd want to run up and get it anyway, even if no one asked me to.

It is not required, and most groups won't mind throwing their approaches up there before you pull the disc out. But another player could request you to remove it before they throw, and then you would have to, to avoid a courtesy violation. Personally if I hit from that far out I'd get excited enough that I'd want to run up and get it anyway, even if no one asked me to.

The best thing to do in a tourney is when someone Aces before your tee shot ask them to clear it, usually gets a good laugh when it happens on my card. LOL.

Ihearchains is spot on with the correct way to deal with this situation.:D

yeah i get excited about hitting a shot from 50 ft just love hearing those chains, and your right i would get so excited i would run up and get it regardless!:thmbup:

A lot of good advice here.

Remember that in your group everyone is friendly and having fun. But it is a competition. Every one is trying to win.

Every now & then someone in the group will do subtle comments or aggravating things to work over the others in the group to try and unnerve other players. Especially if they are playing against a guy on a hot streak or if they are not playing as well. If something is bothering you don't acknowledge it. IF they see it getting to you they will only do it more.

Also stay away from players having a bad round that get all pissy and gripe & complain the entire round. Don't try to console them, it won't work. They have already gone off the cliff & there is no saving them. Their cloud of failure will only move in to your game.

Sometimes it is best just to keep back a little and take the time to enjoy the day. Don't get all caught up in the competition of it all.

You may find the first round, everyone talks and has a good time. The second round it seems things gets quiet. Eather their worried to make up some strokes, or their just trying to keep their lead. Just have fun, enjoy the day and play YOUR game. :thmbup:

Play YOUR game. Its a round of golf, period. I finally got over my tournament jitters at my last tourney. I told myself to play what I know and ended up winning. Just be confident in any decision you make. If you aren't, pull back and make sure you are before you throw. And have fun!

Great stuff here...

Bring a cooler w/ extra water/sports drinks, bring an extra towel (or 2), have snacks on hand, bring extra socks and a shirt, bring a folding chair (if you don't have a stool) to be able to sit down and relax between rounds, bring an umbrella, bring extra cash, bring an extra mini, and, most of all, bring a postive attitude and have fun!

This is all great stuff.

I too am playing my first tourney the same weekend (Calapooia Classic at Bryant Park in Albany, OR). I'm going to be a carefree as possible :wall:

I may have missed this in someone's post, but---

Tell people it's your first tournament.

They'll help you with the etiquette and be more understanding on rules and procedures. Hopefully. Not in the way of letting you break the rules but in cautioning you rather than calling you out.

Otherwise, they may assume you're doing something wrong that you should know better, and think you're a

I plan on playing in my first tourney on the 20th as well. And yes a first tourney sticky would be helpful.

well good luck to everyone on their tourneys! this has been a big help, i will mention that this is my first tourney i think that will help a lot since i really don't know too much etiquette for an event!:thmbdown: , But i plan on staying calm having fun and playing the game i love! Best or worse it will be a great experience

Latest posts