• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Grip. Suggestions?

bucky926

Bogey Member
Below are 3 pics of my grip. I'm the guy that loves throwing everything 10-15 feet right. A video is forthcoming, but for now I'm wondering how my grip looks. Any suggestions?

http://imgur.com/a/T9vux

P.S. That's a Star Katana, but I don't throw it. My main drivers are: Leopards, Teebirds, and Sidewinders

move your thumb a little more towards the middle of the disc and try to grip with the pads of your fingers rather than your finger tips and you have a power grip..almost like you're holding a pencil or a fork (with the disc removed)

move your thumb a little more towards the middle of the disc and try to grip with the pads of your fingers rather than your finger tips and you have a power grip..almost like you're holding a pencil or a fork (with the disc removed)

That^

Like others have said, your thumb position is bad. You need to place it where it can directly oppose the upward grip pressure of your index finger. Right now it's pushing down into the joint of your index finger (like a fan grip), when in fact you want it to pinch near the tip of your index finger, through the flight plate (power grip!). That way you can hold on to the disc harder, force a better disc pivot, and get more speed and spin on your shots.

Also, showing us your grip on a disc that you don't use with max rim width isn't helpful. Your grip might actually look ok on a Roc or putter because the rim is so much thinner and the thumb pressure would be in a slightly better position relative to your index finger.

Move the thumb as stated. And if your throwing right (grip-locking) try a 3 finger power-grip. If that solves the problem, then basically your pinky was holding on too long. I throw 3 finger for control and 2 finger for max distance. I switched almost two months ago and haven't looked back. Massively increased my control and distance.

I went out today and altered my grip according to what people suggested. Nothing changed. I still just ripped every drive to the right and made a fool of myself. Of the 18 holes I played, I hit the first tree on the right 7 times. I think it might be time to find a new hobby

A good grip is just one part of the throw. Moving your thumb into a better position isn't going to make you hit your line every time, but not moving it will limit your grip strength. If you feel like you're making a fool of yourself, perhaps it is time to move on. Before you give up though, you could post a video and get some more constructive analysis.

I went out today and altered my grip according to what people suggested. Nothing changed. I still just ripped every drive to the right and made a fool of myself. Of the 18 holes I played, I hit the first tree on the right 7 times. I think it might be time to find a new hobby

More importantly you missed the first tree on the right 11 times. Think of these and what you did differently. This game is so mental its not even funny. If you are thinking about the missing the tree, You will be almost guaranteed to hit it. Just stay positive and have fun. I was terrible when i first started. It gets better FAST, especially when you are taking the right steps and seeking advice from people who are better than you. Enjoy it, its a game after all :)

-Eric

One thing that has helped me to get better is to visualize the shot in my head.

In your minds eye see the disc in action before you make your shot.It also helps to know exactly what your plastic will do in that situation as it helps to visualize the shot to build confidence.

Yes 9 times out of 10 if you are shanking drives it will be your grip/footwork.

10 times out of 10 it's your mental game.

If you find yourself struggling take a bit of a rest.Sometimes your brain gets lazy and it takes a bit to catch back up with you.

You did not make a fool of yourself, you just ripped your drives to the right. One does not equal the other!

Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds like his shoulders are opening up too early. Maybe focus on slowing that down a tad.

let me give you one big hint: STOP THINKING ABOUT YOUR GRIP SO MUCH!
99% of grip lock is focusing so much on your grip and release that you hold onto that bitch so long and it goes wrong... focus on your grip, then realize it's in your hand let up on your "squeeze" a little and release...
but stop overanalyzing

Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds like his shoulders are opening up too early. Maybe focus on slowing that down a tad.
That's my guess, too. Some sort of timing is off. You could be starting your pull just a smidge too early, too. The grip looks like it needed fixing, anyway, but I doubt it was the source of your aiming problem.

There are some articles about consistency and aiming at DGR that are worth looking into as well.