• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My humble bag. Suggestions?

wadpe

Par Member
My bag currently is: Discmania Fanatic backbag.

Kind of an overkill compared to my cheap starter bag as I have only played for 2 months now. I like it however, it was cheap for the features it has, and it's not too heavy so it's comfortable. I have about 20 discs right now but I don't carry all of them. I list what I use right now, I am trying new discs but I will probably settle on what I prefer and have multiple ones of those molds in future.

Putters:
DM d-line P1 171g - I use this mainly for putting and some short aproaches. Really neutral which I like. I like the for being not too soft type of plastic but it wears out easily, but it's okay for the putter.

Innova DX Aviar3 175g - I am still testing this. Don't know what to say about it. It doesn't have much glide which is not what I like. I do like that it has a very flat top, and it's good for short puts. Longer puts I feel that it hyzers too much. Maybe P2 or aviar would be better in-between compared this and P1.

Midranges:
Millennium Aurora MS 171g - Really old bought used but still very good and nice plastic, I use it for straight relaxed shots or short turnovers. Also my go-to for hyzerflips that need to go straight but not very long.

Champion Roc3 175g - My go to for straight aproaches that need to fade little to left. I also feel that it's really reliable to not flip too much if I throw little harder, which it can handle very well, as it still finishes back to left. I don't know how this would behave in 180g but I like the 175 so far.

Fairways:
DM c-line FD 168g - Used to be my go-to for straight shots of the tee. Super easy and nice glide. Now it seems little hard to use when I throw faster, maybe upgrade this to 175g version? I Like it very much tho and can recommend for anyone.

Innova Champion Teebird 175g - 12x Ken Climo one. Really nice for straight shots that need to finish left at the end. Felt little hard and heavy at the beginning but really reliable disc. I can also crank this by twisting wrist into slight anhyzer and throw hard, and it will still finish to left at the end but the flight is more right-to-left straight. This is also my go-to for short slight hyzers in woods.

Prodigy 400g-light F5 150g - I use this for turnovers as it is super easy to turn in its lower weight. I am looking forward to try 175g versions of the F5 for straighter shots, as I like the grip of the 400g plastic.

Distance:
Innova Star Valkyrie 175g - My favorite at the moment. Really good feeling plastic, nice grip even when the rim is not so wide. Flies pretty straight and can turnover a bit consistently, but not too much as it fades back slightly. I can throw this furthest with the control of being accurate, straight shot. I also throw this with small hyzer angle and it will behave like Teebird but flies further. It works really reliably for my armspeed as it is speed9. Really awesome would buy again, but they are hard to find at my local stores at Star plastic.

Innova Star Destroyer 175g - Pretty common Paul McBeth 4x one. I Like it very much, but requires a perfect throw I guess. It works very well if I get it to enough speed, but it's hard to have accurate shots when trying to crush every tee-shot. Maybe around 170g version would be easier, but now I will stick to slower discs for control. The plastic has nice grip to prevent slips but it still remains it's shape very well. This disc will settle for now when I get more distance of my shots.

Innova Champion Destroyer 175g - Feels like a possible replacement for the Star one. Don't use it too much. A bit more harder but slippery plastic. Works very well when you have dry hands. I need to try this more with forehand.

Innova Savant 175g - Champion type plastic. Feels like super straight Valkyrie. Very neutral flightpath, but nothing special about this disc. Good disc tho but have not seen one before. Does anybody know if Opto Saint from Latitude64 behave the same way? Might try those aswell.

Innova Champion Firebird - This is very much only for utility. I use it for short spike hyzer aproaches, and short forehand flex-shots. It's not super overstable flat 12xKC one I used to have but it still doesn't have much glide at all.

Innova Champion Starfire - Not much to say, feels overstable. I use it mainly for flex-forehands. It has more glide than Firebird.

Blizzard Champion Boss 139g - I only use this for uphill shots. I can possibly get this disc further than any other but it feels so light, so I feel that it will mess up my timing if I try to throw this on flat open areas. Might upgrade this for 160g to get really far throws. It also floats in water when it's under 140g so it is fun to play with when swimming.

Innova DX Beast 174g - Super old pre-flightnumbers. This is quite beat-up. I throw it in hyzer to make it flip up and still have that understable s-curve. Very fun to throw and has great grip, but usually doesn't end up being thrown

So yeah that's about it for what I usually throw. Might be super boring because I am sort of Innova fanboy so it seems being like inthebag-videos but I also like Discmania's and Westside Disc-discs very much.

Possible future upgrades:

DM d-line FD 175g - These have decent grip and when they wear out they will be good for subtle turnover shots.

2x DM d-line P1 175g - I wonder if these would be good for windy days, but they would also be good for practice. Currently I practice-put with all my putters and midranges which might be bad.

2x DD Classic Judge 175g - I tried one put with this and I like the plastic. I especially like the bead with fangrip so this could possible be my new putter.

Star Beast or Star Archon - I like Beast and Star plastic but I wonder if these work like the Valkyrie.

Star Sidewinder - For short backhand-rollers and hyzerflips. Can you guys recommend this one?

Shryke or Katana - My friend likes using Katana for long backhand drives. I consider this maybe later when I have more armspeed.

Champion Wraith - I liked how this felt but I don't have one right now, it might be even better for me than Destroyer.

Champion Thunderbird - For more longer version of the teebird.

I would also like to try any westside discs-drivers and dynamic disc-drivers if you guys have any recommendations.

Do you guys have any suggestions or opinions? I am pretty happy with my discs but I would like to have an advice.

My advice:

Putters:
grab some putters next time you are in the store and see which one feels best in your hands. Your P1 is a great putter and if you like the feel, grab a couple more for practice. The Aviar 3 will work well for you as a driving putter and for approaches, and as the plastic gets beat it will become straighter. The low glide on the Aviar3 will make sure that you do not overshoot the baskets on your upshots. Once you get used to the flight you will be parking your shots under the basket.

Mids:
You have what you need here, just make sure that most of your throws are made with these until you can get them out to 300ft or ~ 91m. Once that happens the rest of your discs will really start to shine.

Fairways:
your FD is probably flying true to its flight numbers, no need to worry here. I would suggest getting a DX Teebird to pair with your champ. The DX will have more glide and will start to develop some right hand turn after a while, giving you more distance. Your F5 will be nice as a roller, but a max weight one will create some overlap with your FD. Right now you should be using these sparingly, only when you need the flightline not the distance. give it another month or 2 of constant practice and then start throwing these again, if you are getting 30 ft. or more extra distance over your mids you are good to go.

Drivers:
The bane of all new players. Lock em away in your closet for 3 months, then bring em out and try some field work with them and see how it goes. Keep the Firebird in the bag though, most people consider them to be fairways since the distance is about the same due to extreme meat hook.

This is what I would do if I were starting from scratch, knowing what I know now. I would also have started playing 25 years ago, but none of that matters now. If you are still just having fun with the sport, keep doing what your doing. If you want to get better take my advice, which probably mirrors the advice that 90% or more of the people on these forums will give.

Get rid of everything that isn't quoted. If you're only been playing 2 months, you don't even 'need' all of what I left, but people love their gear, so do what you will...

DM d-line P1 171g
Millennium Aurora MS 171g
Champion Roc3 175g
Innova DX Beast 174g
Innova Champion Teebird 175g
Innova Star Valkyrie 175g
Innova Champion Firebird

Do you guys have any suggestions or opinions? I am pretty happy with my discs but I would like to have an advice.

Yeah Golden Tuna that is about what I use in a round generally so it is good list. I don't really use the firebird at the local course besides troubleshots, but it's good when I have it. It's really good to ask somebody because you get easilly blinded by the gear. I consider myself to be rather hifi-guy when it comes to different discs.
I like my p1 really much but I suppose that I will use it for a while until it gets more beat up. I like throwing it anyway. I am pretty comfortable with P1s so I should try buying two same weight next time for putting. I don't really need anymore drivers that's for sure.
I especially want to avoid bubble-discs because they seem really fun to throw but I think they will mess up technique. It might be because I like discs being 175g, or around 170-175 at least.
I will update my bag when I can see some changes. Probably nothing special.

Champion/star wraith. Only playing for a little while, this is what you can toss instead of your destroyer. It has a super similar flight path to the destroyer (at first before it gets a bit flippy), but is more ideal for beginners.

Westside sword- pick a plastic. I picked this up from a friends suggestion and it is pure fun. Not a huge fade (i have a noodle arm, and that is often a problem). I just put it in my bag, and I love the results so far. Reach back, throw it low, and you should be in good hands.

Little update.

I'm currently playing with:

P&A
1x Dline P1 (only for puts)

1x DX Aviar3 (great for straight-to-left short aprouches, does not flip and does not go as far as Roc3. Not beaten much at all)

Mids:
1x Millennium Aurora MS (turnover or hyzerflips. Can't tell if ut is too beat-in.)

1x 1st run Dline MD1 (straight but can hold little bit more torque. This one has seasoned well. It does not feel flippy at all.)

1x Champ Roc3 (Straight to left, can handle much speed. I can trust this every time. The stamp is worn like in my other new champion discs..?)

Drives:

Champ Teebird (straight to left. Does one thing really well. Also slight hyzers with intentional skips. This has seen much usage.)

Dx Sidewinder (Hyzerflips and turnovers. Really multi-purpose. Also like how it has just minimal fade.)

Star Valkyrie (Hyzerflips to straight with fade in the end, or turnovers with fade in return. Great grip.)

Innova Savant (I use this in place of Cline FD that I lost :( Savant has same flightnumbers as CD2 from discmania.

Star Destroyer (Just max power shots with overstable fade to left. Still too fast for me. Has big skips.)

Latitude64 opto Bolt (desided to try this. I love the plastic. I can get this to turn pretty easilly so it is understable. Glides really far and can be used for turnovers with reliable fade and hyzerflips. It is rather fast disc for me.

Yeah nothing new but those are the ones I prefer. Heres something I also carry:

Champ Firebird (Just hyzers and upside-downs. Only for troubleshots. Probably the most overstable in my bag.)

Champ Starfire (Potential to be used as a forehand disc, similar to firebird but more like a PD)

If you are using a slightly shorter list than that when you are on the course, you are doing well. I'd take that Destroyer out though. Stick to stuff you can get up to speed.

^Yes could just take the 4 bottom ones out and still do decently if not even better against my friends in a casual round. I need to slow down and focus on my throw before feeling comfortable with faster discs. It's all about control, right?

Haha. I rarely use the blizzard boss anymore, it's a really nice disc however. Does not have as strong fade due to being only

I did some adjustments to my footwork and I can say that I throw 280f consistently, I also have nice control. Still not going over 300f with midranges. But I absolutely love hyzerflips with sidewinder and the understable midrange. Anhyzers are not a problem anymore too. RHBH is ok but I need to work on RHFH.

Keep in mind that heavier discs are less effected by the wind. I throw max weight everything for that reason. And because they are much easier to find online than the high-60's/ low-70's stuff.

280 isn't bad at all considering that most mids max out at about 300ft for amateurs, and a lot of people never get there. Certainly no shame in using a 6 speed fairway for the 280-300 range if that suits you best. Some people like to throw a mid at 100%, others throw something slightly faster with less effort.

Inversely: Eagle McMahon said that he doesn't bother bagging an MD4 because he can just power down on an FD3. There's a lot of gray area in disc selection that comes down to personal preference.

A lot of the time- especially if accuracy is crucial- I'll flick a Teebird at about 80% for the 280-300 range. But that's just something I learned along the way and stuck with because it works for me.

I have a beat Star that's pretty damn neutral and I know exactly where it's going every time. Whereas If I go balls-out with a mid bad things sometimes happen.

Teebirds are a seriously under-rated sidearm disc.

Yeah I have most of my discs at
175g for them being less affected by the wind, but I feel that drivers being
Around 170g is still fine. It might be that lower speed or spin discs will be more affected on wind. My putting putter is 171g but it still feels allright. But I might get
a 175 one when the old one gets too beatin. I have a 150g prodigy f5 which is just for utility, my friend has 150g sidewinder which is rather flippy, but still very useful.ä

I rather power down my fairways than trying to crush midranges like McMahon would do. I feel that throwing 80-100% power is better than trying to crush a throw. I usually screw up release timing and/or I am rounding the throw if I try too hard which ends up losing power and accuracy. I feel comfortable throwing 80% relaxed throws which go maybe 300f and are very controllable. I usually use midranges when I cannot putt or aprouch close range and for under 200feet shots. I don't generally like flipping midranges intentionally, if im not throwing a hyzerflip into a tunnel.

I like teebird for forehands, I feel that it's stability can handle forehand easilly. It is not however crazy overstable like a firebird, which will fade more aggressively and has big skips. I never really get a noticeable turn with backhand when trying to throw it far, I usually use faster discs than teebird for that.

Keep in mind that heavier discs are less effected by the wind. I throw max weight everything for that reason. And because they are much easier to find online than the high-60's/ low-70's stuff.

280 isn't bad at all considering that most mids max out at about 300ft for amateurs, and a lot of people never get there. Certainly no shame in using a 6 speed fairway for the 280-300 range if that suits you best. Some people like to throw a mid at 100%, others throw something slightly faster with less effort.

Inversely: Eagle McMahon said that he doesn't bother bagging an MD4 because he can just power down on an FD3. There's a lot of gray area in disc selection that comes down to personal preference.

A lot of the time- especially if accuracy is crucial- I'll flick a Teebird at about 80% for the 280-300 range. But that's just something I learned along the way and stuck with because it works for me.

I have a beat Star that's pretty damn neutral and I know exactly where it's going every time. Whereas If I go balls-out with a mid bad things sometimes happen.

Teebirds are a seriously under-rated sidearm disc.

I find that Max weight on some discs I use are always sold out, Valkyrie to name one and the 170-172 gram weights I use are easier to find. Shark 3 I has that problem too the max is sold out as is the 170-172 range that I do not like for midrange either. I get the 175 grams or around that for all midrange even if the mold is a ROC diameter that can go up to 180 grams. Only discs I get max weight in are my putting putters as they fly better in that weight less affected by wind. All of my drivers I like in the 170-172 gram range though an Impact can be in the 173-174 range and I do not complain.

My bag currently is: Discmania Fanatic backbag.

Kind of an overkill compared to my cheap starter bag as I have only played for 2 months now. I like it however, it was cheap for the features it has, and it's not too heavy so it's comfortable. I have about 20 discs right now but I don't carry all of them. I list what I use right now, I am trying new discs but I will probably settle on what I prefer and have multiple ones of those molds in future.

Putters:
DM d-line P1 171g - I use this mainly for putting and some short aproaches. Really neutral which I like. I like the for being not too soft type of plastic but it wears out easily, but it's okay for the putter.

Innova DX Aviar3 175g - I am still testing this. Don't know what to say about it. It doesn't have much glide which is not what I like. I do like that it has a very flat top, and it's good for short puts. Longer puts I feel that it hyzers too much. Maybe P2 or aviar would be better in-between compared this and P1.

Midranges:
Millennium Aurora MS 171g - Really old bought used but still very good and nice plastic, I use it for straight relaxed shots or short turnovers. Also my go-to for hyzerflips that need to go straight but not very long.

Champion Roc3 175g - My go to for straight aproaches that need to fade little to left. I also feel that it's really reliable to not flip too much if I throw little harder, which it can handle very well, as it still finishes back to left. I don't know how this would behave in 180g but I like the 175 so far.

Fairways:
DM c-line FD 168g - Used to be my go-to for straight shots of the tee. Super easy and nice glide. Now it seems little hard to use when I throw faster, maybe upgrade this to 175g version? I Like it very much tho and can recommend for anyone.

Innova Champion Teebird 175g - 12x Ken Climo one. Really nice for straight shots that need to finish left at the end. Felt little hard and heavy at the beginning but really reliable disc. I can also crank this by twisting wrist into slight anhyzer and throw hard, and it will still finish to left at the end but the flight is more right-to-left straight. This is also my go-to for short slight hyzers in woods.

Prodigy 400g-light F5 150g - I use this for turnovers as it is super easy to turn in its lower weight. I am looking forward to try 175g versions of the F5 for straighter shots, as I like the grip of the 400g plastic.

Distance:
Innova Star Valkyrie 175g - My favorite at the moment. Really good feeling plastic, nice grip even when the rim is not so wide. Flies pretty straight and can turnover a bit consistently, but not too much as it fades back slightly. I can throw this furthest with the control of being accurate, straight shot. I also throw this with small hyzer angle and it will behave like Teebird but flies further. It works really reliably for my armspeed as it is speed9. Really awesome would buy again, but they are hard to find at my local stores at Star plastic.

Innova Star Destroyer 175g - Pretty common Paul McBeth 4x one. I Like it very much, but requires a perfect throw I guess. It works very well if I get it to enough speed, but it's hard to have accurate shots when trying to crush every tee-shot. Maybe around 170g version would be easier, but now I will stick to slower discs for control. The plastic has nice grip to prevent slips but it still remains it's shape very well. This disc will settle for now when I get more distance of my shots.

Innova Champion Destroyer 175g - Feels like a possible replacement for the Star one. Don't use it too much. A bit more harder but slippery plastic. Works very well when you have dry hands. I need to try this more with forehand.

Innova Savant 175g - Champion type plastic. Feels like super straight Valkyrie. Very neutral flightpath, but nothing special about this disc. Good disc tho but have not seen one before. Does anybody know if Opto Saint from Latitude64 behave the same way? Might try those aswell.

Innova Champion Firebird - This is very much only for utility. I use it for short spike hyzer aproaches, and short forehand flex-shots. It's not super overstable flat 12xKC one I used to have but it still doesn't have much glide at all.

Innova Champion Starfire - Not much to say, feels overstable. I use it mainly for flex-forehands. It has more glide than Firebird.

Blizzard Champion Boss 139g - I only use this for uphill shots. I can possibly get this disc further than any other but it feels so light, so I feel that it will mess up my timing if I try to throw this on flat open areas. Might upgrade this for 160g to get really far throws. It also floats in water when it's under 140g so it is fun to play with when swimming.

Innova DX Beast 174g - Super old pre-flightnumbers. This is quite beat-up. I throw it in hyzer to make it flip up and still have that understable s-curve. Very fun to throw and has great grip, but usually doesn't end up being thrown

So yeah that's about it for what I usually throw. Might be super boring because I am sort of Innova fanboy so it seems being like inthebag-videos but I also like Discmania's and Westside Disc-discs very much.

Possible future upgrades:

DM d-line FD 175g - These have decent grip and when they wear out they will be good for subtle turnover shots.

2x DM d-line P1 175g - I wonder if these would be good for windy days, but they would also be good for practice. Currently I practice-put with all my putters and midranges which might be bad.

2x DD Classic Judge 175g - I tried one put with this and I like the plastic. I especially like the bead with fangrip so this could possible be my new putter.

Star Beast or Star Archon - I like Beast and Star plastic but I wonder if these work like the Valkyrie.

Star Sidewinder - For short backhand-rollers and hyzerflips. Can you guys recommend this one?

Shryke or Katana - My friend likes using Katana for long backhand drives. I consider this maybe later when I have more armspeed.

Champion Wraith - I liked how this felt but I don't have one right now, it might be even better for me than Destroyer.

Champion Thunderbird - For more longer version of the teebird.

I would also like to try any westside discs-drivers and dynamic disc-drivers if you guys have any recommendations.

Stay away from most Distance drivers except the Valkyrie and Thunderbird discs as they are slow enough for beginners and not overly beefy to use Thuderbird might be borderline too beefy. Just do not use these two speed 9 discs if they are too much for you. Other speed 9 discs from Innova are either too Overstable or too Understable to use for a beginner.

Last edited:
I agree, I actually play better with speed9 discs for most part. I don't have a thunderbird now but my Innova Savant works little bit like it (9.5.-1.2). It definetly feels beefy because I consider Teebird rather beefy too.

For my maximum straight distance shots I use opto Bolt from Latitude64. It is my favorite right now. It sounds little bit ridiculous for throwing speed13 but the disc works for me really well. It is surprisingly easy to turn (easier than my valkyrie) which makes it easy for shaping shots. I get it to turn really easily so it is very versatile.

For any shot that I don't have to crush I use the lower speed stuff. I am getting better at working with angles and shaping shots with those. I can hyzerflip into mandos with confidense but I just need the gain distance with midranges. I think the distance will come just by playing now when I am consistent with my technique.

I almost never use a firebird at my local course but other than that every disc has it's use. I would like to learn forehand but I don't know what disc would suit me best. Can you guys tell me what you prefer for forehand?

Can you guys tell me what you prefer for forehand?

250-300 I use that neutral Star Teebird the most. I also have 2 Champ Teebirds, a Metal Flake Teebird3, Star Firebird, and 2 Champ Firebirds. It depends on what the shot calls for.

300+ I like the C-line PD.

I max my flicks at about 325 right now so that's all I currently carry for FH drivers. I did carry Star Destroyers and a Champ Boss, but I can get the same distance with my PD. I figured throwing the lowest speed possible for each shot equals better accuracy. And it does.

I rarely BH anything under 250. I'm gonna flick a gator. Probably the most versatile disc I carry. Awesome for sidearm upshots/drives, overhead hyzer flicks that float in from right to left, and even super-accurate flick rollers up to 250-275. That's my suggestion. I have them in Star, Champ, and Glow Champ. They're all about the same.

The gator is awesome. The low glide means that it's only gonna go as far as you throw it. So you gotta throw it pretty hard but the accuracy is amazing. And it never moves more than a few feet once it lands.

The Mortar, BuzzzOS, Harp, Aviarx3, and Zone all have a devoted following. And discmania is about to release the MD5, which is gonna be similar. But there's really nothing that a Gator can't do. It's kinda like a putter/mid hybrid depending on how hard you throw it.

Some people knock it because of the bead but I've never minded it. And if I did, it's just way too useful and accurate to ever care.

If I'm 250 or under from the basket, you might as well just add 2 strokes to my score and move on to the next hole.

I have a Starfire if that is anything like a PD. But I suppose i would try Forehand with something less stable first.

I do know that you like the gator for most aprouches but I mostly play backhand and I am comfortable with a Roc3 or Aviar3: those are as stable as I prefer for aprouches. But I can imagine that gator goes greatly with forehand but I am not really comfy with forehand. Anything else I just use less stable discs or hyzer a firebird. I only forehand flick-rollers or upside-downs haha.

If you really want to learn a clean forehand, start with something neutral. That FD you have will do fine. You will get frustrated with it at first. Then move to something more understable, and learn to throw that clean. No wobble, no rolling over hard, just a clean flight a mirror image of its backhand flight. Then work in overstable stuff. I did that 2 years ago and my forehand game surpassed my backhand game quickly.

Also I don't worry much about putter weight. 175 is most common, but on most putts I don't think 5g is making a huge difference unless it's very gusty

If you really want to learn a clean forehand, start with something neutral. That FD you have will do fine. You will get frustrated with it at first. Then move to something more understable, and learn to throw that clean. No wobble, no rolling over hard, just a clean flight a mirror image of its backhand flight. Then work in overstable stuff. I did that 2 years ago and my forehand game surpassed my backhand game quickly.

Also I don't worry much about putter weight. 175 is most common, but on most putts I don't think 5g is making a huge difference unless it's very gusty

I have to use max weight on putters due to the wind where I live but with where I live I have to use a Shark if the winds are either a constant 25 mph or having gusts up to 30 mph if the gusts are happening while putting and those my Star and Pro are ~175 grams about as heavy as I have seen a regular Shark.

I noticed you like the feel/Flight of the DD Judge,

If you like Westside, the new TC Maiden has a similar flight to the Judge IMHO with a slight bead and a shallower profile-

It was love at first toss for me- after my local Trilogy challenge I immediately traded for 6x more :)

You know what "they" say, right? You can never collect enough Maidens